cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 2204 - What's Your Experience

JohnAb
Level 17

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.
62 REPLIES 62

MokiChU is certainly the expert and he has given me excellent advice. I don't want to try and take over his recommendations, but I can help a little I think. Regarding your doubts:

01 As far as most drivers are concerned, as far as I know, the order is not critical. However, note comment 02 below. To avoid confusion, VMD drivers are also known as "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Drivers" which remove an error in Device Manager, even if not using RAID. GNA drivers are optional. I find Armoury Crate useful to identify drivers that need updates. Also, Intel's Driver and Support Assistant is very good too. In addition to that, keep an eye on your motherboard's support pages and MokiChU's releases.

Regarding Audio drivers, I struggled to get Realtek Audio Console and Sonic Studio 3 working (my basic sound worked fine) and I wanted more control over sound options. After help from MoKiChU directly, I wrote my experiences here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-USB-Audio-(Intel-5xx-6xx-7xx-amp-AM...

02. I wrote a guide on Intel ME and BIOS updates in a separate thread here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131399-Intel-ME-and-BIOS-Updates-General-Advice

Start with the Windows drivers, then the ME firmware and finally the BIOS. As you plan to reinstall Windows soon, you will already have the ME Firmware and BIOS in place (these won't change with a fresh install), so you will only need to install the Windows MEI drivers again (unless further updates become available).

03. Already discussed in 01.

04. Some people don't like Armoury Crate but I've had faster and smoother installs when using it. It will take care of most initial driver installations for you.

05. I ran the GPU BIOS update tool just last week and it found a BIOS update for my 3090TI. Probably not essential, but good to be up to date.

06. Both are optional. I have turned on BAR support (supposed to be faster although I've seen no difference) and enabled GNA (plus drivers) myself. Unless GNA is turned on in BIOS, the drivers would not install for me.

07. This is a good plan. Just disconnect all drives except for your OS drive until Windows is installed. It eliminates the chance of you making a mistake and Windows messing up your other drives. Mainly an issue if installing Windows and Linux together, but good to do this anyway.

Other points:

A. Should work fine. I prefer to use a smaller Gen 4 drive just for the OS, but that's just me. The reason I do this mainly is so that I can take an image of the OS drive every 3 days so I can restore the image if anything goes badly wrong. You can still do this, but a bigger image is needed for a larger drive. The other option is just to backup your OS partition. I use Macrium Reflect and find it excellent. That will backup partitions or entire drives as needed. Make sure you create a Macrium boot USB for restores. Have a think about your drives. I keep my data on separate drives and then keep internal and external backups, just in case of failure or theft. I also have my data drives encrypted with Bitlocker for security and unlock them with a password. I don't use TPM for Bitlocker so that I can transfer to another machine more easily of needed.

E. Yes, I would. It works well for me. Sometimes it identifies drivers before they are on the support pages.

F. Actually I do both. In fact I use Armoury Crate, Intel Driver and Support Assistant and keep an eye on support pages, plus MokiChU's releases.

G. I find no use for AI Suite or GPU Tweak III, but MSI Afterburner is good and works like a dream. Easy to make sure that your GPU stays below a set temperature (for example). I rarely need to exceed 65C on my GPU. I also use iCue which I find very good, although I do have a Corsair AIO, memory and fan controller, so the integration is great. I agree that an uninstaller is good to keep things clean. I have been using one called HBit Uninstaller which is free.

If you have any other specific questions, just ask. I check the forums most days and will try to help where I can.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thank you very much JohnAb, I will definitely follow your advice, as I feel very experienced and attentive to everything you do, thank you! I read everything and I still ask you some questions and thoughts:

01) To reinforce and make it very clear, so I install only the Drive from MoKiChU "4A Intel VMD Drivers (Drivers Only) V19.5.1.1040 - 25.08.2022" and I don't need to install from MoKiChU the Drive "Intel SATA AHCI-RAID Drivers (Drivers Only) from 1xx to 5xx" that?

02) Ditto, I see people reporting problems with Armory Crate, but for me it runs smooth and every time I used it for upgrade in this "First Phase of installation and testing" it leaves everything in order, which leads me to this thought: 02.1) Install Armory Crate at first boot -> Windows Update -> MoKiChU Drivers or 02.2) After boot start with Windows Update -> MoKiChU Drivers -> Armory Crate, which do you think is better?

03) That, I will format and install everything on 12/01/23. Being in the same BIOS 2204 + ME Firmware Intel V16.1.25.2020, I no longer need to run them that? I just need to install Intel MEI V2240.3.4.0 and the other drivers after the first boot?

04) Here are some points that I need to stick more: Image of the operating system and programs used, Backup work and Security. Do I buy the "Workstation" version of Macrium Reflect that? Yes I can make a 250GB partition, I think it is more than enough for Windows and Programs ..., after everything installed and configured do I mirror it all to an internal SSD or an external HD?

05) "Make sure you create a Macrium boot USB for restores" Do you mean to make a boot pendrive through Macrium that?

06) Through AIDA64 I now saw that in the BIOS tab I have "Secure Boot: Disabled", should I enable that? If yes, is it through the BIOS that I find this?

07) About Bitlocker, do you mean the Windows application or from some company that I should buy? yes, you can laugh at your new friend here, but I've never used that, if you can write a bit how I should handle all that. The only security I use is Kaspersky antivirus and activated Windows Defender. I have 4 external hard drives that I don't leave plugged in and I take my work to them from time to time (30 days)... yes, I need to improve this, guide me with your experience and I will!

08) I will follow your guidelines, keep the Armory Crate + Intel Driver and Support Assistant + MoKiChU Master! 🙂

09) I won't use anything else but Armory Crate + MSI Afterburner + iCue, thanks for the report! I didn't know it's possible to set a max temp for GPU, I used MSI Afterburner in the past, what happens if the temp wants to go over 65° for example, does it give a warning, low processing? Here it is around 45 to 50°, in heavy use (GPU rendering) and hot days it gets close to 70°, but I know people use up to 75 to 85° as "normal", I start shivering when it gets close to 70°, because sometimes it can take hours a rendering, then I turn on the air conditioning in the room. Speaking of temperatures I saw your post about the temperatures of the PHC, here I have in Aida64, PHC in 63° and Motherboard in 32°, Processor in 37/50° in office use, using even he goes in 50/55/75/85° (°C), this Corsair cabinet is very good, but I would like to see a picture of this extra fan for your PHC.

10) Still about PHC, in the Aida64 it only shows PHC 63°C, already in the HWMonitor in the last version I don't find the word "PHC" but in "Temperatures" in the AsusTek it shows Mainbord 33°, CPU 33° then after it has these names TMPIN2, TMPIN3, TMPIN5, TMPIN6, would it be the PHC? Look at this: TMPIN2, TMPIN3, TMPIN5 are between 18/33/39° but TMPIN6 is mostly down but oscillating every few seconds at 0/20/30/50/126° is that normal? It seems crazy, spikes from 0 to 126° in the same second, goes back and forth, is that normal? In Aida the PHC shows 63° and varies little down and up...

Answer me when you can ok, first your appointments! Thank you very much for your guidance JohnAb!

Ok, let me try - you are testing my knowledge, lol. Whilst I'm really no expert, I do like to try and help.

01) What I would do is install the motherboard support page driver first - "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver V19.5.0.1037 for Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 64-bit.(WHQL)". That is the one I still have installed, but I saw that MokiChU has made VMD drivers 19.5.0.1040 available. He also has his drivers in another forum and if you look here https://www.elevenforum.com/t/drivers-intel-chipset-mei-sata-vmd-1xx-2xx-3xx-4xx-5xx-6xx-7xx.11373/ you will see that he explains the difference between these drivers since Z690 chipsets. I am not using raid, but the drivers should eliminate a Device Manager error. I recommend the official drivers for now, only because they work perfectly for me. I actually downloaded the latest ones earlier today, but I haven't tried them yet.

02.1) I have found that Armoury Crate does a good job of drivers. At least initially. You can then start to update them afterwards. So yes, leave it enabled in BIOS and it will install itself soon after installing Windows. Do an extra restart after it installs, even though it doesn't ask for that. I found that it helped it to function correctly. MokiChU's drivers should be more recent and up to date if you want the very latest ones, so personally, I would use Armoury Crate first. It's just easier.

03) Correct. The ME firmware and BIOS will still be in place, so just install the IME Windows drivers. You can always check your ME Firmware version in the Main page of your BIOS, to be sure that you still have the latest version.

04) I use the free version of Macrium Reflect and it does everything I need. I have set it to backup my OS every 3 days and keep the last 10 images. After that it deletes the oldest one automatically. I have Windows Pro and installed programs on the same drive. It is using 101GB currently and my Macrium images are about 40-50GB in size. My data and backups are then stored on other drives and I use FreeFileSynch to manage that. Another excellent piece of software to manage copies of directories (or entire drives) as you wish.

05) Yes. If your OS fails, you need a USB stick to boot from and browse to the backup image. Macrium will create that USB boot drive for you. Then you can use that to restore the latest OS image if you need to. Do a trial backup and restore so you know how to use it before you need to!

06) Yes, it's in the BIOS. I have it disabled because sometimes I boot into Linux. If it is turned on, you can only boot into Windows. Win 11 no longer requires it to be enabled, so I leave it off for full flexibility. If you are only going to use Windows, then turn on it, but make sure that the Macrium Boot USB drive will still work. Otherwise, just leave it off.

07) Bitlocker is included with Windows Pro versions for free. I find it to be very good and easy to use. I have only encrypted my data drives with it (so they can't be read if stolen). There are various guides on using it, but encrypt a drive with it when the drive is empty (or nearly empty). Otherwise it will take HOURS to encrypt a large drive. I do mean HOURS - like more than 24 hours! Use a password for the encryption (rather than keys stored on your TPM chip) and keep that very safe. The benefit is that if you need to move the drive to another PC you still just need the password. Much simpler for the future. It also gives you a decryption key for the drive when you encrypt it if you ever lose the password. Keep that very safe also (on another backed up drive). You can encrypt the OS drive too, but as I store nothing confidential there, I haven't bothered. Anyway, once a drive has been encrypted and unlocked, you just use it like normal and there is no noticeable effect on speed. You won't even know it's encrypted, apart from having to unlock it when you start the PC.

09) You can use MSI Afterburner to limit the maximum GPU power or temperature. One gets priority. You can also set up custom fan curves for the GPU as well. When I'm using Windows, I limit the power to 25%. When I'm playing games I use a different profile that keeps the GPU below 65C. My custom fan curve stops the fan turning on below 60C and I even limit the fan speed to 55% on my fan curve, unless it goes above 65C in which case the speed increases rapidly. I have other profiles which allow higher power and temperature, but I get at least 100fps in most games at the lower temperature and power settings. It keeps everything cool and I don't like hot components! It provides some graphs so if you have a second monitor, you can see exactly what's happing. Otherwise you can use the included Riva Statistics Server to give you an on screen display while playing the game. Again - lots of guides on YouTube.

Regarding "TMPIN2, TMPIN3, TMPIN5 are between 18/33/39C, but TMPIN6 is mostly down but oscillating every few seconds at 0/20/30/50/126C° is that normal? It seems crazy, spikes from 0 to 126C in the same second, goes back and forth, is that normal?"

Yes, I think it is detecting optional temperature sensing pins that are not connected to anything. Nothing to worry about. I get similar 'wrong' readings for several motherboard sensors in iCue as well.

For the PCH fan I have attached a picture below. Added a front mesh to capture dust, otherwise that dust gets deposited all over the motherboard and I clean it once a week. We have a pet dogs, so lots of dust here lol. It blows towards the PCH area (but you can't see that in the image) Actually it is two 8cm fans joined together in a 'block' that just rests below the GPU. HWInfo shows PCH temp for sure (not PHC, I think you have mis-typed it). I think your problem is that you are using HWMonitor - use HWInfo instead. If you get HWInfo, you can set up as many graphs as you want to monitor everything 'live'. It's very useful. Images of MSI Afterburner, HWInfo graphs and HWInfo information (some of it) attached as well...

One more comment on drives, I have attached another image of mine. I have 1) The OS 2) A games drive 3) My data 4) Data backup 5) OS backup images (I keep 10 of these) 6) is a copy of 5 and finally I have a temp drive which I use for VirtualBox images (like Linux that I can use within Windows). You'll notice that I have named my NVME drives so I know which slot they are in and what they are Gen3, Gen4 (G4) etc.

On top of those I have two more external encrypted drives - a 1TB NVME drive that I use to backup my most important documents daily and then a 8TB hard drive that contains a copy of everything. That is backed up once/week. The idea is that even if my PC is stolen, the important data is encrypted and I still have a backup in another location. Doing a backup onto the 8TB drive only takes 5 minutes each week because FreeFileSynch only copies any new files and deletes old ones.

Final comment - in my last post I said the driver install order isn't too important, but I think it's best to install the chipset drivers early in the process. Armoury Crate should take care of that anyway of course.

I've not had any issues with Bios 2204, however it has eliminated Q-Code 55 error I was getting randomly when I rebooted my system. Performance is on par with previous bios revisions.

One thing I have noticed is that there is now an XMP profile - XMP Tweaked, I can't seem to find any information for this setting, however I am wondering if it will eliminate issued when running 4x dimm's of memory as I'm planning on upgrading to 4x CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 5600 MHz in the New Year.

Can anyone shed some light on this if possible?

DarkPhoenix40 wrote:

One thing I have noticed is that there is now an XMP profile - XMP Tweaked, I can't seem to find any information for this setting, however I am wondering if it will eliminate issued when running 4x dimm's of memory as I'm planning on upgrading to 4x CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 5600 MHz in the New Year.

Can anyone shed some light on this if possible?

The "Hint/Help" text when you are on this setting in the BIOS offers up that the "XMP Tweaked" allows for tighter timings on supported memory. Reading between the lines, I don't think that this BIOS option was implemented to aid the problematic 4 x DIMMs issue.

I noticed the XMP Tweaked a couple of days ago and tried it out. It only changed 3 (or maybe 4?) secondary settings from "Auto" to a specific number but it did boost my read and write speeds (tested using AIDA64's memory benchmarks) for my Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6200MT/s 2 x 16GB kit and proved stable with MemTest86. Quite generic/simplistic but it seems to have improved mine but not as much as the "Actually Hardcore Overclocking" tuned setting he suggested for SK Hynix M-Die which showed a marked improvement; but I haven't got it working on anything past BIOS 1720.

Blai5e wrote:
The "Hint/Help" text when you are on this setting in the BIOS offers up that the "XMP Tweaked" allows for tighter timings on supported memory. Reading between the lines, I don't think that this BIOS option was implemented to aid the problematic 4 x DIMMs issue.

Correct, if venturing into the Memory Timing Control page you can view the tighter memory subsets. This profile can also provide stability to certain kits that otherwise aren't stable on XMP 1 or 2, so just use what works for you. Practicality normally more important than theory when it comes to stability issues like this.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Somehow I didnt update my me firmware before flashing 2204 bios, my ethernet keeps going into other devices with a code 43 error.
Can i just update me firmware then flash 2204 again?

JohnAb
Level 17
No idea about XMP Tweaked myself. Seems interesting though and thanks for the update. Sounds good 😉

JohnAb
Level 17
I have just installed ME Firmware 16.1.25.2020 and BIOS 2204. Everything seems solid. I can't see any obvious differences in voltages etc, but my machine does seem to be 'snappier' than usual. Not sure if I'm imagining it, but no problems here.

Thanks again JohnAb! I really like how you report and describe in detail all this, you have advanced knowledge, and no doubt a lot of experience ("Do an extra restart after it installs, even though it doesn't ask for that. I found that it helped it to function correctly") that is what I am talking about, thank you! I read everything and I will apply all of this in practice soon, I believe on 12/01, stay online there buddy (lol), everything will work out fine! Perfect, Chipset Drive first (look at my sequence of 01A-11A it is in second place), let me tell you a detail here, I have these Drivers renamed 01A-11A (all in . zip) to differentiate from the 01B-11B Drivers that are in the same folder, meaning that the line "A" are the MoKiChU Drivers, the line "B" are the Asus ones, my thinking "let's go with the most updated and optimized A from the master, anything we have the line "B" (laughs), I also have more confidence now, after your report, in the Armoury Crate. I was going to finish here without bothering you with more questions, but I couldn't, about the Armoury Crate, does yours load information on the Fan Xpert screen? When I click on it it hints that it will load something (spinning circular icon) and then the screen goes black with nothing.... (attached image). I think it is because I have in that first installation, without much criteria, have installed Ai Suite and have left Armoury Crate last... Thanks for the screenshots, yes, correct: PCH 😉 / I agree with your last post about BIOS 2204 (I'm glad it worked out too, no doubt this is correct way and sequence of installation) and I say the same about it, the word is "solid", my machine boots faster and in use seems faster. Thank you and happy holidays friend! 96693