cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 2204 - What's Your Experience

JohnAb
Level 17

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.
62 REPLIES 62

12700K in CPU-Z gets 818 single core at boot but immediately falls to 770. This is new behavior after installing the ME stuff and 2204. Followed the guide.

Roy10266 wrote:
12700K in CPU-Z gets 818 single core at boot but immediately falls to 770. This is new behavior after installing the ME stuff and 2204. Followed the guide.

Tried reinstalling latest ME stuff and BIOS, still falls to 770 and lower (for some reason it falls to 805ish with e-cores enabled). Tried installing BIOS 2103 again, still falls. Seeing this is a common issue on Reddit, possibly related to the newest ME firmware. Pretty annoying.

EDIT: One user reported formatting and not updating OS to 22H2, then the ME and BIOS updates played nice with CPU performance again. ASUS, pls fix.

siposnorbert71
Level 10
for me, it's good for a week, but sometimes it's only two days, and then my whole system crashes. I would install it again, but I don't know because the ssd is inside, the bios also sees it, and the installer just won't start installing it. Well, then I'll disassemble the machine, transfer it to another one, and then update the bios to 2103 after the nvme ssd, and I can install the ssd, then back to 2204, update the bios again.

akgis_
Level 10
So far so good but only been 5 days

12900k 32g DDR5 Skyhinix 6400/32 @ 6600/34 and tightener timmings

I must say that my memory now works with XMP2 out of the box in previous 2103 and other bios it wouldnt, also my memory OC and tighter timings trained correcly on first boot I may even test if I can go further timings or more frequency.

UPDATED 11th February 2023

The mouse wheel stuttering reported below turned out to be caused by dirt on the optical wheel movement sensor and not by a BIOS issue, all now working as expected.

Original post - 14th January 2023

Like two other posters I now have a stuttering cordless mouse on 2204. Moving the mouse is fine but the scroll wheel to move up and down the page now stutters with only about 1 in two clicks being recognised.

I have tried all the USB ports on my Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4, including the USB 2 ports, but all show the same effect.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks Peter

Hello, as when the new bios for Z690 Asus extreme for the 13900KS, asus always late, I will soon go to msi because at least they are always ahead!!!!!!!!

Scroll stutter happens in all programs? Try a browser that lets you disable HW aceleration like Edge it might be a graphical probleam instead.

I would suspect other things aswell since your mouse movement is fine but scroll isn't, I would check the USB's by attaching a external disk drive and see if the speed maintains. and if latency is constant.

I would try another mouse if possible or test same mouse in other computer, you can also get a testing mouse program and see if the scroll is losing steps, it might be a hardware problem and a coincidence with the bios update.

Not defending at all Asus bios updates in the Z690 1st year it was a disaster of bad releases.

akgis_ wrote:
Scroll stutter happens in all programs? Try a browser that lets you disable HW aceleration like Edge it might be a graphical probleam instead.

I would suspect other things aswell since your mouse movement is fine but scroll isn't, I would check the USB's by attaching a external disk drive and see if the speed maintains. and if latency is constant.

I would try another mouse if possible or test same mouse in other computer, you can also get a testing mouse program and see if the scroll is losing steps, it might be a hardware problem and a coincidence with the bios update.

As you say, it may just be a coincidence that I updated to 2204 and that some other change caused this issue. I'll investigate further to see if I can isolate the cause.

The stutter appears in all programs where I use the scroll wheel including browsers, Visual Studio and Word.

Best wishes, Peter

Z690-E Gaming Wifi here, with a 12900KS and 64GB of Corsair Dominator C40 5200 RAM.

I was on BIOS 2004 with XMP1 since purchase (about a year ago, BIOS 1403 and all releases since).
I skipped 2103 and now have 2204. I installed both Intel ME updates first. Now, if I enable XMP1 or 2, I get constant crashing in games (any game). I haven't tried rolling back yet, but I have tried multiple CMOS clears. Things are stable without XMP.

DrSuSE wrote:
Z690-E Gaming Wifi here, with a 12900KS and 64GB of Corsair Dominator C40 5200 RAM.

I was on BIOS 2004 with XMP1 since purchase (about a year ago, BIOS 1403 and all releases since).
I skipped 2103 and now have 2204. I installed both Intel ME updates first. Now, if I enable XMP1 or 2, I get constant crashing in games (any game). I haven't tried rolling back yet, but I have tried multiple CMOS clears. Things are stable without XMP.

I have a similar spec (although no problems with XMP) and I am also on 2204. You will be able to go back to 2103 or 2004 (but not earlier), so that might be the easiest thing to try first. It's generally fine to have a later version of ME, so you should be stable again just by trying the other BIOS versions. The other option is to make some small memory voltage adjustments. Overall though, probably simpler to roll back the BIOS and see if the next release is better for you.

Edit - I was going to ask, do you have 4 sticks of RAM? 4 sticks is often harder to get stable, although at 5200 I would have expected it to be fine anyway. Perhaps your stability previously has been OK, but nevertheless on something of a knife-edge. Run some memory testing on 2204 and then compare when you roll back - at least you'll have some solid information to do a comparison which might prove helpful. Just running MemTest86 from your BIOS will be the easiest way to do it.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.