cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B660I Gaming WIFI ITX - Random crash under load

iamasd
Level 7

Hey,

I have a problem with Asus rog B660I Gaming WIFI motherboard ITX version.

When stressing in OCCT or PRIME95 during power test, the computer lasts a few minutes and the whole image freezes. GPU AND CPU temperatures during stressing are good, CPU is less than 65 degrees and GPU is 69.
None of the voltages in HWINFO are somehow particularly excessive.

At first I thought it was the power supply, but after swapping it out, it turns out it's not the culprit.

I checked the frames with memtest several times, they are OK too.

The processor tested on an external drive and in a second computer for several hours at a time, it too is OK

The graphics card (RTX 3070 Vision) also works normally on the second computer, in OCCT and furmark rog edition.

Only when I plug it all together and start testing it freezes and crashes the whole system from 2-15 minutes. While gaming the same situation is there.

I also tried disabling XMP from RAM but it didn't help anything

I noticed that people on B550 also have similar problems, maybe it's all connected.
I tried different BIOS versions but still the same thing, anyone can know how to figure it out?

4 REPLIES 4

JohnAb
Level 17

Based on your testing, my money is on a faulty motherboard. However, you haven't said anything about BIOS, ME Firmware and drivers. Is everything fully up to date? Also, are all connections good - at the motherboard and the PSU side? Just make double sure that all cables are fully seated at both ends. 

Unlikely to be the issue I think, but is the CPU and cooler tightened evenly? Has the cooler been overtightened?

One other thing to try (because you didn't mention it) is a complete power off at the PSU, battery removal, wait a few minutes, replace battery and do a BIOS reset. Hopefully one of those things will help. Good luck. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Drivers are the latest, Intel ME also along with BIOS.

I have tried repeatedly to unplug the computer.
I unplugged everything from the computer and plugged it back in, with no effect.

I clear CMOS battery however I also to restore settings to default several times.

As for the processor, everything looks OK. Nothing is pressed "on the sly" just well tightened.

Going to be a pain, but I think you only have the option of isolating/testing every component. Based on what you've done already, I suspect the motherboard. You say you've replaced the PSU, tested the CPU, RAM and GPU in another machine. That only seems to leave the motherboard. 

If other people have reported similar problems that also makes me think it's the motherboard, but maybe you have something plugged into the motherboard that is faulty - maybe a USB device or possibly one of your front panel switches is shorted. I can only suggest unplugging as much as possible and see if that helps. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

I just tried this and the OCCT test lasted 3 seconds in the power test.

Let me tell you that when the board is on default settings it generates WHEA errors in OCCT for me.

As soon as I switch the PCIe Native power management in the bios to disabled the WHEA errors disappear but the problem still does not resolve.

I get the impression that it is with the BIOS settings but I have no idea which ones.