cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B660-i won't start!

Maxors
Level 7

Hi,

Just trying to set a a new computer with a B660-i, i5 12400F and Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 2x16... And it won't start... at all...
With the 8pin power attached I get fix red light indicating some problem with the processor... If I remove the 8pin and just use the 24pin there's no red light but no work... The fans start but no boot-screen in both cases.

I have tried with various graphic cards small and big and with and without sata-power. I have tried with a different psu and I have tried to get some sort of reaction with no memory installed at all with the same result. Obviously my F-cpu needs some sort of graphic card installed. I have taken out the CPU and put it back. I have an M.2 disk and tried to start with and without it with the same results. I've resetted the cmos.

What can I do next? I don't have another CPU with slot 1700 so I can not test that, but the one I have is right out of the box, no dust, mobo brand new, no dented pins...

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.... //M

4 REPLIES 4

JohnAb
Level 17

I was going to suggest re-seating the CPU and make sure it is not over-tightened - but you have already re-fitted and checked for dust. Also worth checking that the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors are fully seated - the 24 pin connectors can be tough to push all the way in. Have a good look. Support the motherboard from underneath if it needs a lot of force. Could also be a faulty PSU, but again you have already tried. Finally try just one RAM stick and see of that helps.   

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3302, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thx John,
I've removed and replaced the 24/8 a number of times and switched psu... And got all psu-candidates to work flawless with another machine. Just tried again with one mem-stick an with none at all with the same result...

Right Now I've removed the mobo from the case and have it lying om a table with just a simple old graphic card with no power needed. The graphic's wirking in another machine as well. No disks, no other connections than 24/8 to psu and the CPU fan installed... that turns... No boot... nothing! With 8 attached, the red lamp lights and with 8 not connected no light...  Very strange... Is there some sort om initial thing/process/workaround/fix that I'm not aware of?//M

and I've tried to remove the graphic card as well... I understand that I can't get any visual with my F-cpu, but I get stuck with the red light before anything else happens. Can it be some compatibility problem with the processor?

With no memory, no peripherals at all connected, no graphics, no disks... There's not that much left to check unless there's any initial thing that I've missed ...or?

JohnAb
Level 17

Tough one. Could try re-flashing the BIOS if you have a flashback port? Nothing to lose I guess. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3302, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.