cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus z790 Wifi D4. Shorted 5v ARGB headers.

VULC23
Level 7
I turned off my PC and wanted to run 1 pump to get my distro plate full. I turned the PC on and the PSU shut down immediately. I might have plugged in the controller back onto itself not sure but whatever it was the short went through the argb circuit. One Byski hub which was in mobo sync mode was blown and it seems all my 5v argb headers are gone too. Anything I plug into any 3 x argb headers won't work at all. I had a spear Byski argb / fan controller I plugged that in and all the lights worked but only when I run it in controller mode and it's not synced to the mobo. Whatever shorted must of took out the 5v because it's the lowest-powered device on the mobo. Any hope or it's dead Jim?

Tried resetting comos and bios.

Tried leaving PSU off all night.

Any other suggestions or places I should look for a blown circuit?

I could get a SATA-powered argb controller to get the non-Byski lights back on. The other option drain the loop and get the mobo diagnosed and fixed.
4 REPLIES 4

trihy
Level 9
Maybe you could get 5v from other source like sata or whatever and use the data line pin from ARGB header.

trihy wrote:
Maybe you could get 5v from other source like sata or whatever and use the data line pin from ARGB header.

So if I get a 5v 3pin argb controller hub power it through its SATA interface and still plug it into the 3pin argb header it will still work? I currently have a Byksi controller plugged into one header it won't light up anything through its motherboard control function only through the controller function but it's powered by Molex that's what shorted the 5v argb circuit in the first place because Molex Im sure is 12v.

trihy wrote:

No signal from the 5v circuit. No power also equals no signal. Only option is to get a 12v RGB to 5v ARGB converter. Hook the controller to the mobo 12v RGB and connect all the devices to the controller. This will give me back control over all the lights over mobo for ARGB devices.

trihy
Level 9
Sata power has 12, 5 and 3.3v.

If data line (pin 2) works, you could power the argb devices with other sources and use pin 2 for data purposes. You have to do some cable modding to try that. But could work.