Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z790 MB new BIOS released version 1202

sl910
Level 7

A new BIOS has just been released for the Z790 based MB's. Release notes are:

1. Improve system stability and compatibility for the next-gen processors
2. Fix the compatibility and instability issues when configuring RAID for high-capacity storage
3. Do update the intel ME to version 16.1.27.2176

Regards

sl91

128 REPLIES 128

I did , I am no novice and always go back to basics.  I know some SW / BIOS can 'fight' with OS too. 
I will try with a brand new / clean install this evening/weekend on a T700 M.2. that is arriving today, see if that will keep my WiFi and BT running.  Thanks for the reply, as always much appreciated.

07/09/2023 Addendum:  The new M.2. arrived finally so I did a clean windows install with all the driver updates and  the 1202 Bios version seems to run fine, meaning I still have my LAN & BT. So all is good ... 

Respect!

Respect!

what bios were you on out of the box?

Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Rampertumskin
Level 9

my ram is not stable with errors on 7200 even though it is compatible with my motherboard. and has a 7200 profile
i have 

ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI latest bios

NAMOR2019
Level 9

I downgraded yesterday, uhm early this AM to previous Bios as this 1202 has been a nightmare. I feel that together with AC and WIN11 Pro this causes several issues.  I thought it worked ok after I installed a brand new M.2. after the the windows install all seemed to be ok, but after the AC was installed and the many drivers/win updates I lost my Wifi and Bluetooth, so no wireless mouse , dang.

I had plenty more issues which ALL vanished after I reversed to previous bios version.
I'm staying away from that 1202 until say a 1204 or 1205 or what ever will be next and is out for several months with no isues.

Just my 2-cents feedback.

Respect!

Respect!

Merica
Level 9

Hello everyone,

I want to share my experience with this BIOS version.

MB: ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

Memory: F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK Memtest was all PASS'ed.

VGA: I am not using any VGA at this moment, and I am using the CPU's iGPU at the moment.

Yes! That's on the QVL to work on my mainboard.

Windows 11: What is wrong with Microsoft? I have videos about many issues that will show up with Windows 11, so don't be surprised if your 13th CPU is not cooperating with you like it should.

The mainboard came with BIOS version 0904.

A: Updated ME (MEUpdateTool_16.1.27.2176_T) after some tests.

B: Updated BIOS to 1202

C: The system reboots and looks fine.

I encountered a few issues shortly after restarting my computer.

#1: Black screen and sometimes a weird rainbow or pixelized effect

The first thing I checked to make sure nothing was wrong with the HDMI cables was that I could not get any screen on two different monitors.

"This issue of "black screen" could happen after a reboot, in the middle of working with Windows or an app and benchmarking. This issue requires a hard reset."

Keep in mind that there is no issue with any stress test.

#2: Reboot: This will also happen after doing some benchmarking with AIDA64 Extreme.

Please beware of this If you think your system is 100% stable, because none of my problems show up with other software like CPU-Z, HWiNFO64, 3DMark, PCMark, Superposition Benchmark, etc.

I have a few videos ready to upload on my channel soon to show you how to properly check your system.

#3: Q-code Yellow LED (VRAM). This issue is also randomly happening, mostly after a normal system restart. The system will not boot, and the MB speaker will _____ with me. The Q-code yellow LED will stay on which means there is a VRAM issue. This also requires a hard reset, which will require a fresh BIOS setup.

BTW, It took me a week to finally find out what was causing all those issues, and today I can say I just passed my benchmark after downgrading to BIOS Ver 0904.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong between the memory and the new BIOS.

I have a question now:

Should I return this motherboard, or should I return my DDR5?

There is nothing wrong with memories, I also had a couple full memtests after each system failure, and the result was all PASS. but I read that some others have no issue or believe there is no issue for them with other brands or models of DDR5.

What happens if ASUS does not fix this issue after the new BIOS or stops supporting this mainboard like they did before with other models?

I am still testing my system's stability to see if all problems are gone, and I will update my post here if not.

Did you update Windows MEI drivers? Ideally, you would do that before the ME firmware. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

The aforementioned videos might help. Please share. Just remember to revert to Optimised Defaults / clear the CMOS (do not apply XMP) and make sure the behaviour is replicable to rule out overclocking.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Morning,
Unfortunately, my system started showing VRAM errors on Q-code.
Almost all my tests were without XMP and Asus MCE.
Benchmark does not behave as before, but sticking on yellow LED is not something I can really be patient about.
I am going to return my G.Skill DDR5 and replace them with Team group delta: FF4D532G6800HC34BDC01 which is supported with MB.
If this does not fix my issue, next will be MB.
What I need is a stable system with default settings.
It is 2 a.m. here, and I have had no rest for a week.

Thank you. I'll update after.

Merica
Level 9

Yes, I had all drivers, including Armoury Crate, installed on Windows 11.

with all that I've heard so far here. I'm going to stick with 0904 for a bit. There's nothing the new bios offers that I need for my 13 gen CPU.  If it ain't broke.... 

Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory