Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z790 MB new BIOS released version 1202

sl910
Level 7

A new BIOS has just been released for the Z790 based MB's. Release notes are:

1. Improve system stability and compatibility for the next-gen processors
2. Fix the compatibility and instability issues when configuring RAID for high-capacity storage
3. Do update the intel ME to version 16.1.27.2176

Regards

sl91

128 REPLIES 128

Morning Silent_Scone

Not every single time; sometimes when I am benchmarking or have a short stress test, for example, 10 minutes of OCCT, all test results are good after that I just ran the CPU-Z, and I can see loading is slow and there is no information under the SPD tab. This is the moment if I restart the system, it will get stuck on a q-code error

Also, I need to hold the power button to turn the PC off, which clears the CMOS.

Do you have the means to test your (just) the CPU on any other motherboard? That alone would eliminate this issue being related to the motherboard and its firmware/bios and actual components.

If you have that then do not take your G.skill ram sticks with you during the first test and don’t do any overclocking (xmp and so counts as OC also as you probably know already).

If you don’t get any errors then add your sticks and if memtest86 and other test pass with flying colors then start tinkering with OC settings.

Do the tests again, CPU and RAM, if all passes then you have 100% confirmation that your issue is isolated to “just” your MoBo.

I have myself had brand new MoBo from ASUS with faulty components and that would manifest as either unstable ram and/or cpu with some situations and specific BIOS versions but the problem would be less pronounced using other versions but would still be there cause of it all being actual hardware related and ofc ASUS wouldn’t be of any help or assistance in any case.

In other cases I had pair of bad G.skill sticks and this has happened so many times so I have absolutely abandoned that brand and use only Kingston or Corsair (both actually produce quality products and have a overall better quality control).

If your problem seems to be related to the ram then RMA them and go with a better brand/product and never look back!

Good luck!

Merica
Level 9

Morning,
Thank you for your reply.
1. Yes, I am using both ATX 12 volt (8 pin) Power connectors with a Corsair HX1000i.

2. I have a Termalright plate, but I have not installed it because I wanted to make sure there was no issue with my new parts.
My system's temperature is pretty awesome. never got above 81 °C (177.8 °F) with heavy stress and benchmarking.
My question is: are you aware of an issue similar to mine that was caused by a plate?
I know about the Thermal grizzly. but I will use Termalright because it will sit lower on that CPU cold plate,
and also about the CPU's memory chipsets on the right side, etc.
But the thing is, CPU-Z will show information about all memory channels and SPD,

--------------------

Edit: The error showed up again even when the time is correct and with a normal use.

DARN! I have no hope anymore.

--------------------

3. Yes, you're right about Hynix memory, and sadly, mine are M-die too. I really don't like overclocking;
I just want to have a system with all the default settings provided by ASUS. Also, XMP would be nice, That is why I did not go over DDR5 6400 MHz.
and unfortunately, this is my new system after 7 years using a Beautiful i7 6700k, and none of the parts will help me.
I have today to finish my test and hopefully get some help from others here before I start my return, which I really don't want.

Thank you.

intel use to put out a Processor diagnostic tool too, I had one for my i9 10900X to make sure everything was functional on the CPU.  I don't know if they have that anymore. 

Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

1.png2.png3.pngIntel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility + Intel® Processor Identification Utility + Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit

I am using all sorts of them, and there is no error or failure with them; all my benchmarks and stress will pass fine.

Merica
Level 9

Good afternoon,

This is getting interesting now,

I installed Windows 10, and the system was much better than Windows 11.

Sadly, I found another CPU-Z SPD issue, but this time the system did not get stuck on the VRAM error after restart.

I went to BIOS, and this is what I found.20230801_163000[429].jpg20230801_163011[428].jpg20230801_163039[430].jpg

Windows Memory Diagnostic report 0 error for mems.

Memtest68 also 0 error!

So wth is wrong with my system?

I don't have any new equipment to check my memories or other parts.

Should I return and replace my DDR5 or mainboard?

Please advise,

Thank you.

SallonikaBoy
Level 9

Hello all,I would like to share a problem that I encountered with you and ask for your advise.I build a pc 2 months ago. At start everything was running smoothly and I was really enjoying gaming. But I decided to xmp the rams since this build is all about pushing it to the limit. So, from 4800mhz the rams now go up to 6200mhz with 1.3v and 36 39 39 76 as the manufacturer suggests it. But as my pc boots fine and everything looks good at first after 15-20 minutes my pc seems to struggle. For example programs like Spotify Chrome even going to the settings take minutes to open and some don't open at all. I tried everything. Returning to default settings to BIOS switching the rams locations to a1b1 from a2b2, updating the bios I even did windows format. I don't know what else to do at the moment. If anyone had witnessed the same situation please let me know cause I am desperate here. Thank you in advance.

Motherboard: Z790 e gaming
CPU: i913900K
GPU : 4080 RTX
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6200 - CMT32GX5M2X6200C36

When anything is loading slowly run CPU-Z and check if it is loading slow too or not, also check your Memory and SPD TABs to make sure there is nothing wrong.

SallonikaBoy_0-1692894906239.pngSallonikaBoy_1-1692894931121.png

Thank you for your reply. Do you something weird? Slot 2 and Slot 4 have the same stats.

No, there is nothing wrong, and yes, you are using two slots, and both should be the same.

weird, like my issue. Please read my previous posts here to see what I mean.