A new BIOS has just been released for the Z790 based MB's. Release notes are:
1. Improve system stability and compatibility for the next-gen processors
2. Fix the compatibility and instability issues when configuring RAID for high-capacity storage
3. Do update the intel ME to version 22.214.171.1246
I'm actually having black screens when using windows defender or other apps like ccleaner on a 13900ks, can anyone please walk me through the process of BIOS upgrading?
-install ME to 76 version
- Get in BIOS
-Use EZflash with the ROG usb with the new BIOS on it right?
im stuck on and I suspect this will fix some issues ive been having, somebody help me please.
What board do you have?
1) Run the ME firmware tool and restart the system when prompted.
2) Download the latest UEFI from the support site and use the rename tool.
3) Insert a formatted FAT32 ish drive into the USB Flashback denoted port on the motherboards rear IO.
4) Copy the CMO file to the flash drive and switch the system off.
5) Press and hold the USB Flashback button till it flashes blue, let go and wait for it to stop flashing.
If the board doesn’t have USB Flashback, ensure the UEFI is at defaults and the system is not overclocked and use EZFlash to apply the update via the CMO file.
Maximus Z790 HERO, I had to reinstall windows without armoury crate due to RAM rgb freezing and giving a stop code, right now I have everything working as it should mostly, but I have a couple issues that I want to see if the BIOS upgrade fixes:
-Windows defender dialog tanks my FPS to 58 on a 4090 OC and a 13900ks, other apps do this on the on and off (Lghub, maps did it the other day) it either tanks to 58 or something or produces a black screen with some sort of golden scribble across it before going back to 'HDR'
- Discord desktop has become super unstable, it either might work for hours or crash unexpectedly again and again and again (Battlenet also showed this behaviour until I turned resize BAR on, but it still displays error 503 and a grey box where the dialogs should be sometimes.
Everything else works beautifully, it's my dream computer finally, I've checked the OC AI and my DDR5 has the timings that it's supposed to have, it's just plagued by little errors that are making me lose my mind, like those two (Diablo IV portal system is also broken, although I've observed this behaviour on other forums, I wonder if it's incompatibility borne, since I'm just yeeted out at random).
I downloaded the last BIOS 1202, I updated the intel ME to version 76, I'm on UEFI, I just need the stones to go through with it, on the one hand, im on 0816 that kinda looks ok but, to me, it gives off incompatibility vibes, on the other, I can break the boot and have to start over from scratch.
Wish me luck, I'll do it between today and monday.
13900ks,4090OC, 32GB DDR5 TFORCE 7600, samsung 990 1TB, ROG maximus Z790 hero, very cool LG ultragear 45'
I am still on 0904 Bios and so far i am ultra satisfied with my system. Should i go with the latest Bios update? Also there is a new Chipset driver ( Intel Management Engine Interface V2306.4.3.0 (SW 2307.4.12.0)) let me know if some Hero Z790 users had any issues.
Thanks to the help from @Silent_Scone, I was able to get a 192GB Corsair kit (CMH192GX5M4B5200C38) that's on the QVL to work on my Z790 Maximus Hero motherboard. I am on BIOS 1202 and selected the XMP II profile and 4400 frequency. The system ran all BIOS-based Memtest86 tests four times and is entirely stable with Windows 11.
NOTE: Aida64 reports the total memory right, but the individual memory size wrong... each bank is 48GB!