cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z790-I Mini ITX Board Speaker Input?

iQyThradz3137i
Level 8
Where do you connect your speakers to on the HIVE

I see a SPDIF out what kind of SPDIF Cable is that?

Looking for info before i purchase the board
2,041 Views
11 REPLIES 11

JohnAb
Level 17
I've never seen that before, but you can get 3.5mm to SPDIF - see image. I guess that's the solution?
Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3701, MEI 2407.6.1.0, ME Firmware 16.1.32.2418, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I've never seen that before, but you can get 3.5mm to SPDIF - see image. I guess that's the solution?


Thanks is that def the connector for that? 100%

JohnAb wrote:
I've never seen that before, but you can get 3.5mm to SPDIF - see image. I guess that's the solution?


Just being pedantic, that's mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK. It's not electrical 3.5mm to optical TOSLINK. Hybrid mini-TOSLINK sockets do exist which can also do electrical/analogue 3.5mm in addition to optical (Apple have done that before, if memory serves). The ASUS sockets are probably optical-only unless the documentation or labelling suggests otherwise. As far as I know, there isn't an electrical S/PDIF over 3.5mm, that's normally done over RCA or BNC. It's possible they could be hybrid ports on ITX, if the board doesn't have the usual 3.5mm ports to save space or something, but check the manual (if it's described as just optical S/PDIF, that's probably all it does).

Murph_9000 wrote:
Just being pedantic, that's mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK. It's not electrical 3.5mm to optical TOSLINK. Hybrid mini-TOSLINK sockets do exist which can also do electrical/analogue 3.5mm in addition to optical (Apple have done that before, if memory serves). The ASUS sockets are probably optical-only unless the documentation or labelling suggests otherwise. As far as I know, there isn't an electrical S/PDIF over 3.5mm, that's normally done over RCA or BNC. It's possible they could be hybrid ports on ITX, if the board doesn't have the usual 3.5mm ports to save space or something, but check the manual (if it's described as just optical S/PDIF, that's probably all it does).


Didnt really need all this lol but thanks for the input had to learn alittle

My question will the Mini Toslink to toslink work. I have edifier 1280DB speakers will i be able to use them with that cable speakers linked below

https://www.edifier.com/product-r1280db.html

It's possible you may need to pay for a Dolby license on Windows, or something. Your board probably has DTS bundled, I'd guess. It's the old digital audio format war.

Murph_9000 wrote:
It's possible you may need to pay for a Dolby license on Windows, or something. Your board probably has DTS bundled, I'd guess. It's the old digital audio format war.


I highly doubt that

iQyThradz3137i wrote:
I highly doubt that


Yeah, it's probably not needed for just standard stereo speakers. I just know there's a format/licensing war between Dolby and DTS that can result in irritation for consumers, and that ASUS include DTS with at least some of the ROG boards.

Murph_9000 wrote:
Yeah, it's probably not needed for just standard stereo speakers. I just know there's a format/licensing war between Dolby and DTS that can result in irritation for consumers, and that ASUS include DTS with at least some of the ROG boards.


Like i said i am only looking for what cable i need for my Edifier speakers before i buy the motherboard thats all

Thank you Murph. You are not being pedantic, you are being accurate. And, very helpful. I too was puzzled by the new ;'hive.' I'm trying to get the digital signal out of my PC to the Fiio K7. The USB connection is not providing the hi-res signal I am loking for. With you sharp comment, I'll get the mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable, and hope it works. I had only heard of TOSLINK to TOSLINK and the Hive/Z790-I won't  accept that connection. Thanks again