Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z790 Apex XMP issues

kvarq
Level 11
Asus Z790 Apex
13900KF SP 103 (P113/E83/MC73)
G.Skill 2x16GB 6400MHz C32 F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5K (M die)

It seems that the Z690 XMP issues are still persisting this round as well...
XMP I or II activated seem to not be ok for games (these are crashing for some reason), ALTHOUGH GSAT passed overnight for long hours or TM5 with anta's profiles passed as well
Did not touch the IA/SA voltages, just XMP is enabled...
50 REPLIES 50

kvarq
Level 11
akgis_ wrote:
Those voltages are the default ones, you only get the XMP voltages next time you restart the system from saved settings in BIOS.

You should check the voltages in Windows in HWinfo for example like I said.

see my karhu screen from the post above, those are the voltages applied after enabling the XMP 🙂

also those are the voltages in bios as well, shown in this screen from this issues#post885664" TARGET="_blank">post

default voltages are shown in the screen below

the SA voltage is 0.78V and MC voltage is 1.101V...
compared to XMP enabled: the SA voltage is 0.89V and MC voltage is 1.154V...
that's quite tiny increase for this "medium" 6400MHz XMP...
typically I saw after enabling XMP 1.23V for SA and 1.3V+ for MC

kvarq
Level 11
akgis_ wrote:
Those voltages are the default ones, you only get the XMP voltages next time you restart the system from saved settings in BIOS.

You should check the voltages in Windows in HWinfo for example like I said.

see my karhu screen from the post above, those are the voltages applied after enabling the XMP 🙂

also those are the voltages in bios as well, shown in this screen from this issues#post885664" TARGET="_blank">post

typically I would expect 1.23V for SA and 1.3V+ for MC after enabling XMP for 6400MHz

kvarq wrote:

typically I would expect 1.23V for SA and 1.3V+ for MC after enabling XMP for 6400MHz

Your memory is stable enough not to induce crashing in games, that's ample coverage.

Your issue appears to stem from something else. What stop codes are you receiving when the system crashes? Check the event logs in Windows event viewer.

Are you using any form of active cooling on the DIMMs, what sort of temperatures are you seeing on the modules in gaming workloads?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

kvarq
Level 11
Games crashes to desktop are happening just like that - w/o any log in the Event Viewer...
The XMP issue in gaming is an Asus Z690 thing - apparently also for Z790.
Testing the systems with synthetic tests (including 3D mark etc) might show that these are "rock solid", but in games is different, for some reason many are sensitive when XMP is enabled, crashing to desktop. No one figured it out so far why.
The only workaround back then was to drop XMP and set all the stuff manually.

I don't have any fan on my ram dimms, temps in gaming are around 50-ish C.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
If there were an issue with memory stability, one of the core memory stress tests that isolated this subsystem would find it. You would not be able to pass Karhu. Karhu stable is ample for games with 4000% coverage. It's my opinion that your problem resides elsewhere.

Have you at least checked if the system is stable at Optimised Defaults (No XMP, no UEFI changes)?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

kvarq
Level 11
Karhu ran with the "XMP voltages" 0.89V for SA and the MC voltage is 1.154V...

yeah, once the XMP is gone no crashes in games
but I paid to have 6400MHz... I'm not asking the moon from the sky though

kvarq
Level 11
I prefer GSAT though... anyways...

kvarq
Level 11

I just spoke with a friend who's really mad on Apex, he's with the OC stuff, he couldn't go farther than 8200c30, once he removed heatsinks board became flatter, and tuned the CPU frame to find the optimal pressure (apparently that one is also helping the board to be flatter) he could reach 8400C34... he's aiming for more but no chance with both dimms... he's binning the boards, he got like 5 Apex so far and no one could reach high frequencies as he did with the SAME CPU and SAME sticks on Z790 KP...
another one cannot reach 8000 with both sticks on Apex as he did easily on the KP one 8800 w/o too much sweat...

kvarq
Level 11

I just spoke with a friend who's really mad on Apex, he's with the OC stuff, he couldn't go farther than 8200c30, once he removed heatsinks board became flatter, and tuned the CPU frame to find the optimal pressure (apparently that one is also helping the board to be flatter) he could reach 8400C34... he's aiming for more but no chance with both dimms... he's binning the boards, he got like 5 Apex so far and no one could reach high frequencies as he did with the SAME CPU and SAME sticks on Z790 KP...
another one cannot reach 8000 with both sticks on Apex as he did easily on the KP one 8800 w/o too much sweat...

Hello, I also have an Asus ROG Maximus Z790 APEX motherboard with a 13900ks and a G.Skill 7800 DDR5 kit 32GB running XMP I and have CPU overclocked from 5.6GHz on the P cores to 5.8Ghz and the two remaining Star P cores left at 6Ghz.  I have gaming stability issues and thought it was my DDR5 Overclock, but it turned out to be my CPU overclock and the "SVID Behavior" setting set on "Best Case Scenario" instead of "Auto".  My CPU was not getting enough Voltage for gaming purposes, but was fine for booting into Windows 11 and running CPU-Z benchmarks. Once I changed the SVID Behavior to Auto and left everything else on Auto, I was able to Game without any issues. I am running the latest BIOS dated 3/31/2023 (BIOS "0904").  I have also before that I had been using BianBao.dev for beta BIOS updates. So definitely try updating to the latest BIOS 0904 and have optimized Defaults loaded in and only enable XMP I and try to do your gaming. If that provides stable, then go back and start overclocking, but I would advise initially to let the motherboard determine the CPU Core voltage and leave everything on "Auto" until you know you have a stable overclock setup.

Here are my system specs:

Intel 13900ks (CPU), Asus ROG Maximus Z790 APEX (motherboard), G.Skill 7800 XMP DDR5 32GB kit(RAM)(XMP I), Thermal Grizzly 12/13th gen (CPU Contact Frame), Corsair h170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO(6 push-pull fans)(Liquid Cooler), Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 (GPU), Asus ROG Thor 1600 Watt (PSU)(*Total system is pulling up to 1150 watts while gaming with the CPU/RAM OC and 4090 @ default 450Watts), Corsair 1000D Super Tower (Case)

PC Specs: 13900KS(P Core SP 123), Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Apex Encore, G.Skill 2x24GB 8000(8400 CL38), Corsair Airflow RAM cooler(2x60mm fans), Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 GPU, (2) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB SSDs, Corsair AX1600i PSU, Thermaltake Toughliquid 420mm AIO w/ (6) Noctua 140mm Industrial 3000rpms fans, Corsair 1000D Super Tower Case.