cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z690 Hero Update Bios Without 12th Gen?

Cottontails
Level 7
I purchased a 13th gen CPU and the z690 Hero, will i be able to update the bios through the USB bios port on the motherboard and click the update button or will i have to get a 12th gen CPU just to update the bios?

The method of updating the bios that i mentioned is shown here in this YouTube video:
9 REPLIES 9

rsnelson
Level 9
It is possible to update the Z690 Hero BIOS without a CPU installed. Instructions specific for this motherboard can be found in section 2.2 "BIOS update utility" in the motherboard manual.... but the video explains it well.

I'm not sure if the ME needs to be updated prior to running with a 13 gen CPU... I would assume and hope that this can be done after the O/S is up and running. Would recommend to do this first thing after the O/S is up.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The Hero can be updated using the USB Flashback method, yes.

The ME update can be done POST CPU install: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources

However, I would recommend doing it prior wherever possible
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Bainsmit
Level 8
I am in same bot as he is. Basically I can not update ME earlier as I have no means to do it (I have only Raptor Lake CPU and my current PC is AMD). I will start to assemble rig in few days I hope that all will pass good. As I see it there is no way that people in our position install first ME then CPU.

Are there any way that allows ME installing apart from Windows?

Bainsmit wrote:
Are there any way that allows ME installing apart from Windows?

You could install Windows on an external USB drive / HDD, boot from it, do the ME update. After that, all your slots should be working and you can install Windows normally on your NVMe drive.

MovedPermanently wrote:
You could install Windows on an external USB drive / HDD, boot from it, do the ME update. After that, all your slots should be working and you can install Windows normally on your NVMe drive.

Problem is that I do not have anything but raptor lake so I can not boot at all if I do not first upgrade bios.

Bainsmit wrote:
Problem is that I do not have anything but raptor lake so I can not boot at all if I do not first upgrade bios.

Correct. But you can do the BIOS update without a CPU thanks to BIOS Flashback. Your Hero supports this feature 🙂 Then the only thing that is missing is the ME update. But your system should boot fine without it, the BIOS update is sufficient at first. The only thing that might not work is the NVMe slot and you might have performance issues.

But you should be fine to boot a Windows from an external drive (or any other slot NVMe slot or even internal SATA) like I suggested, then you do the ME update from there. Now all your slots work again and you can install Windows (again) regularly on your CPU-connected NVMe drive and you're set.

Bainsmit
Level 8
Thanks

trihy
Level 9
Maybe it will boot.

Raptor microcode initial support was added many months ago.

Cottontails
Level 7
So i can update the ME driver now? My PC is still using the 9700k and z390 Gene motherboard, would there be any issues?