cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix Z690-A WIFI D4 - Undervolting and AIOC

ridethewhirlwin
Level 7
I've been experimenting with different methods of overclocking on the Z690-A/12900K and came across a JayzTwoCents video which talks about turning on AI overclock on the P and E cores and using XMP I. He noted that there were high voltages during stress tests and as a counter-measure proposed to give a voltage offset of -0.070. This resolved the issues with high voltages along with the occasional 1.4 voltage spike.

My question is this a viable long term overclock for the cpu/motherboard vs. the traditional way of manually overclocking and setting voltages?

Mentioned video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HvCcb-eTc

Around the 17:10 mark.
4 REPLIES 4

lerun
Level 7
ridethewhirlwinds wrote:
I've been experimenting with different methods of overclocking on the Z690-A/12900K and came across a JayzTwoCents video which talks about turning on AI overclock on the P and E cores and using XMP I. He noted that there were high voltages during stress tests and as a counter-measure proposed to give a voltage offset of -0.070. This resolved the issues with high voltages along with the occasional 1.4 voltage spike.

My question is this a viable long term overclock for the cpu/motherboard vs. the traditional way of manually overclocking and setting voltages?

Mentioned video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HvCcb-eTc

Around the 17:10 mark.

I'm using it, though setting a negative offset will only get win unstable and i get soft locks. This even on -0.05

Instead I set the value for AI (dont remember the wording, but how aggressive the ai overclock) to 95 and the voltage (VID) is 1.45 instead of 1.5.... so not sure what the best way is. Maybe to get VID's more towards 1.4 I will go down to 90 instead. Probably still will get 5.2 on the p-cores. With a value of 100, some of the p-cores was reaching 5.5

But also not sure what is OK VID's on this.

I am having similar issue and found this weird too. I always use a program called throttlestop to set core/cache voltage offset and overclock CPU on the fly in OS. In the original bios that my Z690-E came with, I was able to offset both core and cache voltage by -80 some mV and be stable at 5.0ghz all P core. After I updated bios to later version 0702, 0803, even if I just offset 1mV it’ll immediately freeze my windows. I assume this is a bios issue… hope if someone can confirm?

Seems like having training on, even setting Optimism scale to 80 it still varies on boot how much overclocking is applied.
On 100 it will do consistent 71% overclock. Setting it to 95 on boot it was for a minute 61%, then just went back to 71% on next boot.

On 80 now it's 68% so not consistent on how much the ai overclocks.

Would have been nice to be able to set freq or voltage roof in bios for AI overclock to get more comfortable volts

I can get it stable at 90 on the optimism but it actually produces a score 300 points lower than not overclocked on Cinebench. Anything above 90 crashes immediately when I hit start in cinebench.Â*