cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming Wifi XMP Problem

Andy-1981
Level 8

Hello, 

I more less have a Problem. I tried now for several days to get the Memory stable, but no chance.

I tried:

1. XMP
  2. the frequency with mild timing.
  3. the frequency with timings auto.

My System:

• Mainboard: ASUS Strix Z790-H Gaming Wifi
  • CPU: Intel I9 14900KF
  • Ram: Corsairc Vengeance 2x 32GB 6800 CL32 

I would appreciate any help or tip.

14 REPLIES 14

Andy-1981
Level 8

I forgott to mention BIOS 1501

Nate152

Hello Andy-1981

If all is fine at default settings, it sounds like you need some voltage adjustments to get 64GB 6800MT CL32 stable.

You could do some testing without adjusting any voltages. Enable X.M.P., scroll down to Dram Frequency and select 6000MHz.

If stable, try Dram Frequency at 6200MHz, see how far it lets you go up to 6800MHz. Then you can start raising voltages for stability, you could also try setting your ram manually.

Andy-1981
Level 8

Hello Nate152,

I honestly never tried stock 😅 so i will today start with stock settings, if it pass Karhu i´ll try to enable xmp and start with 6000 > 6800 in the steps the mainboard gives me. 

If it don´t pass i have a second RIG to double check, if it don´t pass there i´ll RMA it.

Second RIG:

• 13900KF
  • A...ck Z790 Board
  • G.Skill 2x 16GB 6400 > @ 6800

I´ll come back with more results.

Nate152

It seems you have some experience with memory overclocking. This sounds good, I'd be interested to know your results.

Test at default settings (In the bios hit the F5 Key). If it passes Karhu at default settings, the issue is most likely with the cpu's memory controller when X.M.P. is enabled. Which in most cases, raising some voltages will help get you stable.

See how it goes at 6000MHz.

Andy-1981
Level 8

The settings before were:

• VDDQ TX 1,45V (Auto/XMP)
  • CPU VCCSA 1,22V BIOS (1,2V HWiNFO)
  • IMC VDD 1,332V (Auto/XMP)
  • VDD 1,45 (XMP)
  • VDDQ 1,45 (XMP)
  • VPP 1,8V (XMP)

I already was tinkering around with IMC up/down 100mV in 10mV steps

And VCSSA 150mV up/down in 20mV steps.

VDD and VDDQ I didn't raise till now, because the temperature already is getting, let's say uncomfortable...

Andy-1981
Level 8

During the test is running, I have another question related to the Mainboard.

Is there any plans to add also IMC SP feature to the Strix Z790-H Mainboard?

Would be nice to know I think. Because my 14900KF has pretty good values on P- and E-cores...

• SP: 106
  • P-Core: 117
  • E-Core: 84
  • IMC: ??

Nate152

Thank you for listing the voltages you tried with.

1) VDDQ TX voltage looks good at 1.45v - This is the IVR Transmitter VDDQ voltage under Advanced Memory voltages.

2) CPU VCCSA voltage - This is the CPU System Agent voltage in the bios, you can try this at 1.275v and up to 1.35v.

3) IMC VDD voltage - This is the Memory Controller voltage under Advanced Memory voltages. You can try this at 1.40v and up to 1.45v.

4) You can try both Dram VDD voltage and Dram VDDQ voltage at 1.50v, temps should still be ok.

5) VPP voltage - I let on Auto.

Andy-1981
Level 8

Let me repeat my post, maybe you overseen:

During the test is running, I have another question related to the Mainboard.

Is there any plans to add also IMC SP feature to the Strix Z790-H Mainboard?

Would be nice to know I think. Because my 14900KF has pretty good values on P- and E-cores...

• SP: 106
  • P-Core: 117
  • E-Core: 84
  • IMC: ??

How long do you suggest running Karhu? or up to which Coverage?

Nate152

If there are no errors in 15-20 minutes, you can probably call it good.

Some motherboards have the MC (Memory Controller) SP rating, some do not.

If you have it, it would be in the bios on the Extreme Tweaker/Ai Tweaker page, AI Features, Get MC SP.

MC SP.png