cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E new BIOS released 0813

sl910
Level 7
Asus has just released a new BIOS for the StrixZ790-E motherboard, version 0813:

"1. Improve DRAM compatibility
2. Improve system stability

Regards
20 REPLIES 20

Daemonicon
Level 7
As the title says, will it fix the XMP profiles for having 4 DDR slots in use?

Daemonicon wrote:

Some 4 DIMM configs have finally appeared on the Strix Z790-E Memory QVL. There were no supported 4 DIMM configs listed not so long ago. Pay particular attention to the "socket support" column on the QVL; "1,2" is single or 2 DIMM configs, and "1,2,4" is also 4 DIMM configs. Is your memory listed on there as "1,2,4"?

The BIOS may help a little, especially since it says it improves DRAM compatibility. It's not clear if the QVL now lists some 4 DIMM configs because of BIOS improvements, or because they have done additional testing and found some DIMMs which work.

N.B. The fastest memory speeds generally just do not work in 4 DIMM configs, unless you are really lucky. You can't have both capacity and speed maxed out. Currently, the fastest 2 DIMM config on the QVL is DDR5-6800 CL32, and the fastest 4 DIMM config is DDR5-6200 CL40 or DDR5-6000 CL32. It was also like that on DDR4, the fastest easy 4 DIMM DDR4 config was roughly DDR4-3600 CL16, despite much faster DIMMs floating around.

Sooo... being a little bit cautious here after the recent chipset drivers hiccup 🙂 ... has anyone tried the BIOS yet? Is it safe? And has anyone had any luck with DDR5-7200? Maybe even Corsair Venegeance (32GB) in particular as I own that kit? I could not get that kit 100% (Prime95) stable on the current (now previous) BIOS. Is there any hope that this new BIOS might be more suitable for 7000+MT/s RAM?

Daemonicon wrote:

It does. It fixed mine.

Updated yesterday. So far, so good. Starting from version 0703, this new version updates the MBEC, from 0116 to 0120. The CPU microcode version is unchanged, at least for the 13900K CPU, i.e. version 10E

Regards

sl91

So I updated BIOS today, and even the compatibility list from Asus says that my Dram ist not compatible with 4 Dimmslots it works fine and till now without any problems. Ich have 4 DIMMS DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum 5600 at 16gb each. So now I'm happy. It's with the XMP II Profile in bios

EDIT: I'm on the strix Z790-F

Was there also an update for z690? I am also looking for a fix to have four slots of ddr5 6000mhz RAM in use, as it currently only runs at 4800 mhz stable.

Daemonicon wrote:
So I updated BIOS today, and even the compatibility list from Asus says that my Dram ist not compatible with 4 Dimmslots it works fine and till now without any problems. Ich have 4 DIMMS DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum 5600 at 16gb each. So now I'm happy. It's with the XMP II Profile in bios

EDIT: I'm on the strix Z790-F

I see these two DDR5 Corsair memory on the QVL list as the only 4 DIMM available for XMP. Has anyone had any luck using this BIOS for their 4 stick XMP without any workaround? I can only get 4 sticks to work if I do not enable XMP with our without workarounds GSkill 2x32 F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK DDR5. Currently I'm only using 2 sticks with XMP enabled.

CMH64GX5M4B5600C36(Ver 4.43.02)
CMT64GX5M4B5600C36(Ver 4.43.02)

Just a warning to all, once you flash to 0813, you cannot rollback.

After I updated and re-loaded my Asus profile it wouldn't post. I had to reset to default and fiddle with but finally got it all working again with the previous settings.

One interesting observation, I use the AI overclocker (yes I'm lazy) and it looks like my CPU voltage was lowered. Wondering if this is part of the reason why you cannot rollback?!?!