cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E new BIOS released 0813

sl910
Level 7
Asus has just released a new BIOS for the StrixZ790-E motherboard, version 0813:

"1. Improve DRAM compatibility
2. Improve system stability

Regards
20 REPLIES 20

Uwguy wrote:
Just a warning to all, once you flash to 0813, you cannot rollback.

After I updated and re-loaded my Asus profile it wouldn't post. I had to reset to default and fiddle with but finally got it all working again with the previous settings.

One interesting observation, I use the AI overclocker (yes I'm lazy) and it looks like my CPU voltage was lowered. Wondering if this is part of the reason why you cannot rollback?!?!

Wait you can't rollback?? Why not I've never heard of that before, never had a problem on my old 9th gen system. Is this something new with Z790 platform or something?

AlexiTQ
Level 9
Tried it on my Z790-F and will be reverting back to the previous version. This BIOS needs lower frequencies and worse timings to get the RAM stable, and CPU OC is worse as well. Like, I've gone from a stable system to failing at POST, with the same settings. That's remarkably bad for a BIOS update.

AlexiTQ wrote:
Tried it on my Z790-F and will be reverting back to the previous version. This BIOS needs lower frequencies and worse timings to get the RAM stable, and CPU OC is worse as well. Like, I've gone from a stable system to failing at POST, with the same settings. That's remarkably bad for a BIOS update.

Hello,

On my personal rig, I've not noticed any difference in RAM stability between UEFI updates and I'm running 8200MT/s. Please try to remember that simply because a UEFI revision doesn't set hundreds of predefined settings outside of reference code that works happily without tuning, doesn't make it a "bad BIOS update." When flashing to a new UEFI (which potentially also has a new ME firmware), tuning may be required when overclocking.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

On my personal rig, I've not noticed any difference in RAM stability between UEFI updates and I'm running 8200MT/s. Please try to remember that simply because a UEFI revision doesn't set hundreds of predefined settings outside of reference code that works happily without tuning, doesn't make it a "bad BIOS update." When flashing to a new UEFI (which potentially also has a new ME firmware), tuning may be required when overclocking.

No, it's bad because you've changed something that makes it impossible to get the same RAM performance as before. And I've spent days on the timings and testing.

AlexiTQ wrote:
No, it's bad because you've changed something that makes it impossible to get the same RAM performance as before. And I've spent days on the timings and testing.

I don't think you read the post in full or didn't fully understand the implications.

ASUS has no control over Intel Management Engine firmware updates - these can impact overclocking and there's no magic bullet when it comes to every CPU or system when working outside of reference code and default frequency. That said, if stability is conditional enough that it does in fact make a difference between builds then in my experience the overclock was already conditional to begin with. Moreover, it's not compulsory to flash if the system is working.

Use the more practical approach as to what works for you. 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Seth_Anton
Level 8
After the "Chipset driver" chaos i had on my system...i am afraid even to read for any update on ASUS support page.
Ultra satisfied with Bios 0703 ( Hero z790+13900k+64DDR5 G.SKILL trident )
Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

Shadowdane
Level 9
This BIOS is worse for me.. not stable at all with the exact same settings for Gskill DDR5-7200. Messed with it all day yesterday and only got it stable loosening all the timings significantly and also boosting up IMC to 1.4v and System Agent to 1.35v. Which were significantly higher than what I was using on the previous BIOS with IMC at 1.25v & 1.18v System Agent.

I'm going to rollback to the previous BIOS tonight.. Did they even test 813 with faster DDR5 kits as it seems really unstable with the reports I've seen here.

Shadowdane
Level 9
Rolled back to 703 just fine, no issue doing that from EZFlash. I did reset to Optimized Defaults though before going through the BIOS update. Didn't want to have any ram stability issues when trying to do a BIOS flash.

Works just fine now that the BIOS flash was finished, I noticed also this option in the BIOS. If that's disabled it appears it only allows BIOS upgrades, not a rollback. So that might be the cause of blocked rollback if you changed that for some reason.

Shadowdane wrote:
Rolled back to 703 just fine, no issue doing that from EZFlash. I did reset to Optimized Defaults though before going through the BIOS update. Didn't want to have any ram stability issues when trying to do a BIOS flash.

Works just fine now that the BIOS flash was finished, I noticed also this option in the BIOS. If that's disabled it appears it only allows BIOS upgrades, not a rollback. So that might be the cause of blocked rollback if you changed that for some reason.

Hi Shadowdane,

I could not roll back the bios either through the utility or through ezflash (tried the 502 and 703). In the bios I kept getting an error saying something to the effect that the bios was invalid. I could re-flash the current 813 bios repeatedly both through the bios and through the ezflash utility. Using different USB drives made no difference. Toggled the rollback setting you are referring to and it also made no difference.

In regards to memory and timings, I have the two sticks of Gskill F5-7600J3646G16GX2-TZ5RK (36-46-46-121). The default XMP settings would produce the occasional error in memtest. I set the speed to 7600, loaded the hynix-7600 preset (36-44-44-52), and set the maximustweak to mode 2. I've run memtest for hours without an error.

Uwguy wrote:
Hi Shadowdane,

I could not roll back the bios either through the utility or through ezflash (tried the 502 and 703). In the bios I kept getting an error saying something to the effect that the bios was invalid. I could re-flash the current 813 bios repeatedly both through the bios and through the ezflash utility. Using different USB drives made no difference. Toggled the rollback setting you are referring to and it also made no difference.

In regards to memory and timings, I have the two sticks of Gskill F5-7600J3646G16GX2-TZ5RK (36-46-46-121). The default XMP settings would produce the occasional error in memtest. I set the speed to 7600, loaded the hynix-7600 preset (36-44-44-52), and set the maximustweak to mode 2. I've run memtest for hours without an error.

Maybe I'll need to try going to 813 again.. I didn't notice anything about the Maximus Tweak setting in the BIOS when I tried 813 a few days ago. It's certainly not present in the 703 BIOS. Not to mention what ram preset are you talking about, is this in XMP settings or somewhere else?

[edit]
I updated to 813 again... Very bad luck with it on the Z790-E. At least my previous ram timings that were stable just instantly crash on this UEFI version. I had to revert to DDR5-4800 speeds just to finish editing this post. OS BSOD on me at least 5 times after installing 813 and enabling XMP with various Memory Management errors.

The Z790-E doesn't have the Maximus Tweak feature or the Ram timings profiles, that's a feature on the Maximus Hero motherboards I believe. As I do remember my old Maximus X Hero board having those options. But it's absent from the Z790-E UEFI can't find those settings anywhere and I looked pretty much everywhere.

I'm not sure if I want to go back to 703 again or just try to figure out ram timings and voltages all over again for the 813 BIOS. And this isn't related to the Intel ME firmware as both BIOS releases need the same ME firmware. They haven't released an additional update for that.