cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690F - How to install Drivers without BLOATWARE?

Bloatware
Level 8

I am disgusted with the latest ASUS drivers and Windows Update forcing bloatware into the latest drivers.

Especially the Realtek USB Audio Drivers (ALC4080) which have no option to NOT install these Sonic/Nahimic/A-Volute bloatware. Even Windows Defender picked up a trojan virus: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!m from the driver setup. Any explanation for this?

This is un-acceptable and why is ASUS forcing virus infected bloatware into drivers with no option for the user to select NOT to install them? It is even being pushed onto Windows Update so everytime you update Windows it will re-install these virus infected bloatware. 

What is the explanation for this ASUS @MoKiChU ? And when are we going to have an option to choose if we want them installed or not? And not have them automatically installed via driver installer and Windows Update! ASUS needs to fix this!

If nothing is done about this it will be the last time I ever buy an ASUS brand again. Such a shame seeing many users with the same problem!

12 REPLIES 12

ahfoo
Level 13

I installed so many realtek audio driver so many years and never in one time I never ever encounter any virus/bloatware from either Asus website or from fellow member MoKiChU here in this forums. It will be fair if you can tried to provide any substantial evidence or try the driver from MoKiChU posted in this forums before any conclusion made. 

JohnAb
Level 17

I can see why software like SS3, DTS etc could be considered bloatware if you don't want it, but never had a virus from any drivers and I always scan every downloaded file I get from the internet, regardless of the source. I use Bitdefender which usually ranks at or near the top of anti-virus tools.  

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

MoKiChU
Level 40

@Bloatware wrote:

What is the explanation for this ASUS @MoKiChU ?

Hi,

You are wrong, I have nothing to do with what is offered on your motherboard's support page.

As reminder, I don't work for ASUS. Everything I do for the ASUS ROG community is out of passion, on a voluntary basis.

Regarding the latest audio drivers package from your motherboard's support page (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/DRV_Audio_RTK_USB_CNT_DTSP_SP_W11_64_V6396002342_20230...) :

No one disputes the fact that you saw this security alert from Windows Defender, as @Silent_Scone pointed out to you, it was most likely a zealous false positive in the early days of the audio drivers package release (because the hash of the file was unknown to anti-virus databases).

I also ran a check locally on Windows Defender and online via VirusTotal (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/79cbe0acd5b53acd8438c75d58e870f718f333fed13a4991ae7e2cd0aa6706eb), nothing to report.

Regarding the latest audio drivers package from my audio drivers thread :

Information :

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (Intel 5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 5xx/6xx/TRX40).

Cleanup :

- Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process​
- Use this SS3 Cleaner tool (Right click on "A-Volute_SS3_Cleanup.exe" > Run as administrator) then restart your PC​

Install :

The UAD/DCH drivers being modular, you can install your drivers by these different types of install from the most complete to the lightest :​
Intended to work like this by ASUS :

- Full : Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process (with or without installing SS3/DTS apps).

Note : If you want to uninstall Sonic Suite Companion once your drivers are installed, launch Sonic Suite Companion via right click > Check for Updates on its tray icon then click Menu > Uninstall.​

Not intended to work like this by ASUS (at your own risk) :

- Realtek Only : Delete the ThirdParty folder from AUDIO_Realtek_USB_UAD_ASUS_ROG_SS3-DTS_v6.3.9600.xxxx\Drivers folder then follow scrupulously your INSTALL process (without installing SS3/DTS apps).​

Update :

For the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process (with same install type).​