cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690F - How to install Drivers without BLOATWARE?

Bloatware
Level 7

I am disgusted with the latest ASUS drivers and Windows Update forcing bloatware into the latest drivers.

Especially the Realtek USB Audio Drivers (ALC4080) which have no option to NOT install these Sonic/Nahimic/A-Volute bloatware. Even Windows Defender picked up a trojan virus: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!m from the driver setup. Any explanation for this?

This is un-acceptable and why is ASUS forcing virus infected bloatware into drivers with no option for the user to select NOT to install them? It is even being pushed onto Windows Update so everytime you update Windows it will re-install these virus infected bloatware. 

What is the explanation for this ASUS @MoKiChU ? And when are we going to have an option to choose if we want them installed or not? And not have them automatically installed via driver installer and Windows Update! ASUS needs to fix this!

If nothing is done about this it will be the last time I ever buy an ASUS brand again. Such a shame seeing many users with the same problem!

12 REPLIES 12

ahfoo
Level 13

You just need to install device driver alone not the software attached to individual driver.  Most of the device driver for your system to work can refer to fellow member MOKiChU. It provide you the latest driver you needed to run. Hope it help.

I don’t think this is possible though? The installer for the Realtek USB Audio Driver has no option to remove the bloatware during installation? Also when Windows Update it will just install it again? No?

This is a big problem as it is virus infected bloatware and as customers we should have the option to install it or not. Asus needs to fix this asap!

Hello,

Some fairly bold claims. If you believe the Realtek driver package contains a virus, perhaps you should take it up with them?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

So this is how ASUS treats their customers? Why should I gotta be the one to take it up with them? When you know clearly well they let the motherboard companies take care of it? Their website hasn’t released any new drivers since. 

So it’s clearly up to ASUS. If you think it’s not a virus I can post the screenshot of Windows Defender.

But still I would like my questions answered or maybe some help from Asus would be nice. 

It is likely a false positive, however, you've not provided any real information in your post for anyone to discern this for you (other than the potential threat). Can you provide a url for the download?

If concerned with security with something pertaining to the Realtek driver package, you would do better asking them directly.

Here is the link to the Realtek USB Audio Driver from the Asus website which has virus bloatware:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/DRV_Audio_RTK_USB_CNT_DTSP_SP_W11_64_V6396002342_20230...

Here are multiple people on Asus subreddit with the same problem of it being a virus and bloatware that you cannot choose to not install:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/120b011/latest_asus_provided_driver_for_z790_hero_has/?utm_so...

Also this never used to happen with the old version of drivers. These new ones are infested with virus and bloatware with no option to not install. Also Windows Update is forcing users to install it to. It needs to be fixed. How you gonna tell the customers to take it up with the company you choose to put on your products? 

Duck and weave. 

I'm not seeing any signs of a virus being detected by Microsoft Defender in any of the files in DRV_Audio_RTK_USB_CNT_DTSP_SP_W11_64_V6396002342_20230321B.zip, either scanning the ZIP itself, or extracting the contents and bulk scanning the individual files.  This is almost certainly a false positive or people who have a pre-existing infection on their system which infected the download on their end.

Which specific file in the ZIP do you believe is infected, and are you seeing that with the latest definition update for MS Defender?

I'm not seeing any detection of a virus by Microsoft Defender in DRV_Audio_RTK_USB_CNT_DTSP_SP_W11_64_V6396002342_20230321B.zip; either by scanning the ZIP file, or extracting it and bulk scanning the individual files.  I think you're either seeing a false positive, or the file is being infected by a pre-existing infection after you downloaded it.  The small thread on Reddit is not particularly persuasive as evidence of a problem.

Which specific file do you believe is infected?  Are you still seeing it with the latest definition updates for MS Defender?

I suggest you use Microsoft Safety Scanner to check both your system and the driver.  The current version of that tool is not finding any problems with the contents of the driver ZIP file for me.  If it doesn't find anything, it's likely that you encountered a false positive in Microsoft Defender from old definitions.

I wouldn't call it duck and weaving when I'm not directly affiliated with ASUS and just trying to ascertain where you've downloaded the file from - that's simply called working with incomplete and slightly inconcise info.

Unfortunately still non the wiser here, as have installed it successfully from the URL with no threats detected and scanned the directory/zip.

Silent_Scone_0-1680155320921.png

scan.pngUntitled.jpg

For me at least, the installer is also present. You mentioned not being able to uninstall it?

Silent_Scone_1-1680155505896.png