cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-I Mobo - Onboard I225-V LAN Link Speed Drop After Wake from Sleep

jtbrown3
Level 7
Hello Team,
I've discovered a very serious and frustrating issue with the onboard Intel I225-V Ethernet Controller of my new ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming WiFi Mobo where the LAN link speed frustratingly drops from the full 2.5Gbps to either the slowest 100-Mbps (usually) or to the lower 1-Gbps speed upon the motherboard waking from sleep (S3) mode. I'm running a bog-standard non-overclocked Windows 11 config with an i7-1200K, no external graphics (onboard IGP only), 64Gb 4800 DDR5 memory, and the latest v0811 BIOS [Edit - I just updated to BIOS_v1003 and it did not fix this issue].

The I225-V LAN controller boots and restarts normally with the full 2.5Gb/sec LAN link speed when plugged into my TP-Link 8-port 2.5Gb Switch [TL-SG108-M2 (UN) v1.0] via a high-quality CAT6 ethernet cable and the connection remains perfectly stable until the computer is put into the sleep state by the user. Upon wake, the onboard I225-V Ethernet controller fails to reconnect at the full/rated 2.5 Gb/sec link speed, but instead frustratingly reconnects at a slower/slowest 100 Mbps link connection!

This is reproducible 95% of the time. Manually unplugging and replugging the cable or restarting/rebooting the computer will perfectly restore the connection to the full 2.5Gbps connection – however, this is not practical or acceptable! Manually disabling and reenabling the I225-V controller from the Windows Device Manager will not reliably work either and will only randomly reconnect the controller at the proper full 2.5Gbps link speed.

I tried downgrading the I225-V driver to the Windows default 1.0.1.x version with no resolution of the issue. I also tried upgrading to an Asus forum-posted newer Intel driver (version 2.0.1.3) which also did not fix the issue. I've tried tweaking everything in my BIOS related to WOL and also in the Windows Driver Settings related to link speed and power management WOL - and nothing has resolved this. My switch is rock solid and stable with 2 other 2.5G LAN computers working/reconnecting like a charm. I have read that many users have had historical link speed issues with this Intel controller.

I've reported this to Asus support and have been going back and forth with them for a week trying trivial tweaks that don't solve the issue.

Has anyone else had this wake-from-sleep LAN link-speed-drop issue? Is this a driver or firmware bug? A failed hardware controller? Any suggestions from anyone on how to fix this?

Thanks! -JT ��
6 REPLIES 6

jtbrown3
Level 7
Update: I've discovered that this is a driver-related auto-negotiation issue and is specific to my TP-Link 8-port 2.5Gb ethernet switch [Model TL-SG108-M2 (UN) v1.0]. This is a fairly popular, robust, and compact switch, so I've escalated this issue to ASUS Tech support. Hopefully, they can get a driver/firmware patch/update out soon to resolve this serious annoyance.

I'll be falling back using a USB-C to 2.5G Ethernet Adapter in the meantime (such a shame!) ��

jtbrown3 wrote:
Update: I've discovered that this is a driver-related auto-negotiation issue and is specific to my TP-Link 8-port 2.5Gb ethernet switch [Model TL-SG108-M2 (UN) v1.0]. This is a fairly popular, robust, and compact switch, so I've escalated this issue to ASUS Tech support. Hopefully, they can get a driver/firmware patch/update out soon to resolve this serious annoyance.

I'll be falling back using a USB-C to 2.5G Ethernet Adapter in the meantime (such a shame!) ��

I'm curious if you have heard anything back. I also recently purchased this same switch and when my computer wakes from sleep it auto negotiates to 100/100. Pretty Annoying. I can disable the NIC and re-enable it and it goes back to 2.5gb but that sure is annoying. Intel released an updated driver today but that didn't seem to help anything.

FYI for an automated workaround, see my response below (in case you didn't get a thread notification).

Thanks for posting this, I have the 5 port version, TL-SG105-M2 and am having the same issue. I was going crazy thinking there was something wrong with my wiring, replacing keystones, etc.

To implement the workaround automatically, I have created the a scheduled task. The task is tiggered on System event log, Power-Troubleshooter source, event id 1 (wake from sleep). The action is
pnputil /restart-device "<my device instance path>"

You can get the instance path by right DevManager.PNGSchedTask1.PNGSchedTask2.PNGSchedTask3.PNG

Thanks So Much! I was going out of my mind trying every combo of firmware and drivers. Many Kudo's to you for figuring out a way around it. Even latest 2.4 (I think) driver doesn't fix it.

welcome! I'm still using this myself. Sad Intel hasn't fixed this.