cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rog strix z690-I frequency issues after first boot

Uno61385
Level 8

Hello,

Every time I boot up my computer and put the cpu under load, the cores are different frequencies.  Even if i have all cores synced, between 2 to 4 of my pcores are a few hundred mhz behind the set multiplier.  It happens every single time after I shutdown the computer and turn it back on.  If i do a restart after the first boot from the pc being off, it'll go back to working like it should.  But the problem always comes back after I turn off the pc.  Can someone from asus please give me some guidance on how to get this asus rog strix z690-i board working normally?  Even a bios flash does not fix the problem.

7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi,

What sort of load are you putting the cores under? This behaviour is normal depending on active cores and thermal conditions. AI OC makes calibration straightforward. Within the UEFI you'll see the steps needed on the top bar menu. Per-core usage method is the most effective way of overclocking. All of these predictions can be found under the AI Tweaker menu if wanting to set them up manually.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

It was a regular load no heavier than cinebench.  All cores were active, it was 100% full load.  I had "sync all cores" feature enabled in the bios yet some cores were only going 4.9 ghz some were 5 ghz and some were at my set multiplier.  It happens after every boot, usually goes away after a restart.  Sometimes the issue comes back.  How do i get sync all cores to actually do what it says?

If it's CB20 or similarly high current workloads have you checked to see if some of the cores are thermal throttling? You can use HWINFO: https://www.hwinfo.com/

The minimum is the closest distance to TJMAX, if this drops to zero the CPU will throttle.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 073732.png

i don't use windows or microsoft or their services anymore so i can't use hwinfo however all of my original testing was done on windows so i know all my core voltage vmins, what kind of current all the clocks pull etc.  I'm on linux.  I monitor corespeeds using gtk stress and stress test using y-cruncher algos + 8B pi + gsat for the memory.  None of the cores were thermal throttling, I removed all limits.  MCE enabled, Sync all cores enabled, maxed out tj max for testing purposes.  After every boot up the cores will behave like that unless i restart.  Sometimes it does it in between changing bios settings and i have to do an extra restart just to get all cores to sync.  Also, disable svid support function in the bios is not working.  Any time i try to disable communication with the external voltage regulator I get no boot no matter what.  What do i have to do to get both of these features to work?  Also, adaptive voltage mode in my bios does not work.  Also, it seems like my bioses are changing on there own, there are different versions being pushed to my machine, 1 without avx512 offset enabled and 1 with avx512 offset enabled. 

I've been having issues with this board for 6 months.  Many features not working at all since i purchased it and this weird core frequency bug i just started to notice a few weeks back. 

The fact a restart resolves the issue could be quite telling. Unfortunately, I don't run Linux on this platform so unable to comment. You'd have to show that under y-cruncher and CR20 the CPU isn't hitting TJMAX, as the behaviour would suggest so if it occurs under high-current load.

Adaptive mode requires SVID control in order to request the voltage for a given load. If you disable SVID control, you can't use adaptive. Adaptive should work if set correctly, as per past platforms, you cannot set a value in Additional Turbo Voltage lower than the stock VID for a given ratio. You can use AI OC as this should set the correct load behaviour you desire assuming the problem isn't related to Linux or thermal throttling.

The cpu isn't hitting tj max.  it's nowhere close.  I could be clocked only 100mhz over stock all core and be under 70c with tjmax at 115 and the cores won't be synced to the ratio set after a boot up.   The issue happens whether hyperthreading is enabled or disabled, ecores enabled or disabled.  I'm familiar with svid control, but we are supposed to be able to set a target voltage, for example the avx2 vmin for a given multiplier with llc 4 and the regulator is supposed to boost only to that specified voltage under load reguardless how light or heavy.  There is zero perceived difference between adaptive and offset modes, they both do the same exact thing on my board.  I'll upload some videos to youtube showing everything from start to finish.  The core frequency problem also occurs with ai oc enabled.  It seems that auto voltage mode, offset voltage mode and this "adaptive" mode also require 40mv more vcore than is actually necessary compared to using a fixed vcore under all loads.  For example, absolute vmin is 1.15v for the pcores at stock but using AI oc requires an additional 40mv, 1.19v.  Is there a way to get the asus ai OC to just hit the avx2 vmin instead of ai oc overvolting the cpu by 40mv more than necessary?

Who would i contact at asus in regards to the core frequency issues?  i'm fairly certain is has to do with the bios and motherboard.  sometimes i boot my computer and go into the bios and there are clearly 2 difference bioses i have access to.  One has no avx512 offset enabled, the other does.  It's definitely not a linux issue. 

If you're worried about the voltage deviation when using a dynamic voltage you can offset this by adjusting the AC/DC load line to adjust the VID requested under load.

By Core Usage is by far a more efficient way of overclocking this platform than syncing all cores. Stick to using a manual voltage with Sync All Cores, as Adaptive voltage will adjust based on active cores and frequency.

As per the predictions for my CPU found under the AI Tweaker Menu, an active all-core load will trigger a multiplier of 56x for P core and 43x for E cores. At idle and light to moderate load where fewer cores are active, however, the multiplier will scale as per either the set per core configuration or the AI OC predictions depending on which method you prefer. Naturally, being able to hit 62x on one or two cores is more attractive than syncing all of them to 56x

Perhaps upload a video of the behaviour you see when configured in this way under a load such as CR20. Please keep in mind that CR20 does use some light AVX instructions, so an applied AVX offset will trigger here.

load.pngidle.png