cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Gaming-F - Issues w/ RAM configurations

Dread13
Level 9
Hello guys,

Just built my new z690 PC (12700k, Trident Z5 6000 36CL, Asus Z690-F). As many pointed out with other motherboards, I am unable to run a dual channel config, only being able to slot it 2 sticks in B1/B2 slots. If I try to use any of the other ones, it will not post. Also, the memory speeds will not go higher than 4800, even using XMP (which, btw, is unstable af). I am using the latest BIOS version (0811), did anyone else with the same motherboard as me managed to get dual channel, XMP II stable?

I am thinking about returning the motherboard (and maybe the Intel CPU as well) and get new ones in case those are defective. I have the feeling that the RAM is not defective. Did anyone get a new mobo and managed to run it flawless? I tried many things, from reseating the CPU, to getting the AIO pump less tigthen to alleviate presure just in case that was bringing any strange behaviour, while also checking if the PINs were bent or sth. Nothing helped.
39 REPLIES 39

DecaAndersen wrote:
UPDATE!
It looks like BIOS 1003 fixed the compatibility issues and can now run both XMP 1 and 2 at 6000mhz
However,
windows still thinks its DDR5-4800 at 2400mhz, and lots and lots of BSD's

So, Asus keeps on blaming G.Skill, claiming their QVL list is wrong, yet Asus has the same QVL and denies any compatibility issues.
I've attached the whole email convo as well as screenshots and proof of false advertising and promoting hardware beyond their capabilities.

I have Problems with the Strix-F 12700K and the 6000 c36 too…
*XMP1 never worked. With 0811 Bios i passed Testmem5 Anta777 for over 1.5 hours with fixed voltages.

VDD/VDDQ 1.35
SA 1.25
MC 1.25
TRX 1.35

But after flashing to 1003 bios the blue screens were back with everything on Auto and XMP1.
Fixed voltages not helped.

So back to 0811Bios but Testmem5 was not stable again.

So i dont know what to do to get the 6000 c36 stable again.
Asus help pls?

Im having the SAME issues.

My specs:

I9 12900k
Asus z690 Maximus Hero
Corsair Dominator 2x16gb 5600Mhz
Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce x 360

A1 and A2 slots wont boot, error code 55. IF I take the AIO out and reseat the CPU it works. Can XMP, and set voltajes as recommended at the forum. But then It will crash / freeze during gaming, and when reeboots it will throw error 55 and wont boot. (A2 and B2 as recommended dual channel. If i reset the bios it wont boot anyways. SO i have to change slots and put the memory at B1 and B2 to make it boot. Memory passed memtest with 0 errors. No bent pins in the socket. Checked a couple of times with a magnifying glass

I just don't know what to do. Im super pissed off. Came from a 5900x with a Dark Hero x570 and 0 problems. I think this issue that is affecting many people has to be address at some time. But im positive that this issue can be solved with a BIOS update.

P.D: tested all the BIOS available. Im on 1304 rn.

clownbash wrote:

A1 and A2 slots wont boot, error code 55.

This issue has been reported over and over for Asus Z690 boards, regardless the DDR5 brand. I also suffered from it with my Z690-F. I got it only working after the board was RMA and changed. I doubt this is related to DDR5. I think it's either a PCB design fault or an issue with the Z690 chipset.

clownbash wrote:
Im having the SAME issues.

My specs:

I9 12900k
Asus z690 Maximus Hero
Corsair Dominator 2x16gb 5600Mhz
Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce x 360

A1 and A2 slots wont boot, error code 55. IF I take the AIO out and reseat the CPU it works.

Hello,

Sounds like a mounting issue then, no? Improper pin contact will impact memory detection, which is what the code means (55 - Memory not installed).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Sounds like a mounting issue then, no? Improper pin contact will impact memory detection, which is what the code means (55 - Memory not installed).

Dear Silent, how you doing?

I'm a pc hardware store owner in Argentina, and been building rigs since i was 15. This is my personal build. I certenly can get whateaver z690 i want BUT im in love with the Hero, its gorgeous!!! and its out of stock here in Argentina. So imma try everything i can until have it to rma. Have tried at least 10 times. Mounting and unmounting. All bios available and configs. First time you boot after mount, it will boot and go to windows. Without XMP, i mean, with default settings, it will freeze a game after an hour of gaming, and then when reboots, will give error 55. Memory passes memtest a few times. If you change slots A1 or A2 will give error 55 only B1 and b2 will boot. Can be the processor? A bad IMC?

thank you very much!

Dear Friends,

Just passing the report.

Tested with an i7-12700k and same issue, and rma'ed my Rams, got a new kit , and same results. Without XMP or with XMP, while playing the pc freezes and when restarts gives error 55.

Will Try rmaing the mobo and see what happens.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!

Put a new kit of Corsair Dominator Platium 5600Mhz totaling 64gb, in other words, 4x16GB.

Updated to new BIOS 1403.

Using both xmp II and xmp disabled I haven't had any problems while gaming yet.

PC boots incredibly fast without XMP and with XMP enabled like 5-10 secs. It's nothing compared to the other BIOS

clownbash wrote:
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!

Put a new kit of Corsair Dominator Platium 5600Mhz totaling 64gb, in other words, 4x16GB.

Updated to new BIOS 1403.

Using both xmp II and xmp disabled I haven't had any problems while gaming yet.

PC boots incredibly fast without XMP and with XMP enabled like 5-10 secs. It's nothing compared to the other BIOS

1403 seems to work well. Maybe Asus got finally their act together for their Z690 boards.

Katheeri wrote:
So what have you done to get your slots to work? I'm thinking of increasing voltage to see if it would work.
Literally scrambling everything and reading everywhere, just want to get use of the extra RAM, unfortunately still no luck.

I'm still not sure what was the reason. Vendor changed the RAM. Still, the A channels would not recognize them = orange light. Only B-channels were working. Vendor changed the motherboard, and suddenly A and B channels worked. It seems like a lottery.

When I dissembled the system for RMA, I found some very small scratches over the hairline print around the socket holes. These hairline prints might feed current to the DIMMs. Not sure. When I installed the replacement board, I put paper washer between the stands and the PCB. I have posted pictures in the other thread. I do not think it was related, but who knows.

Fact is that there are numerous reports that either the A or the B channels are not working on the 690-F. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the circuitry design.

I have been building systems for a good 25 years. Occasionally you run into problems, but I have never experienced that validated RAM does not work with a brand-new board, as we have it now.