cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Gaming-F - Issues w/ RAM configurations

Dread13
Level 9
Hello guys,

Just built my new z690 PC (12700k, Trident Z5 6000 36CL, Asus Z690-F). As many pointed out with other motherboards, I am unable to run a dual channel config, only being able to slot it 2 sticks in B1/B2 slots. If I try to use any of the other ones, it will not post. Also, the memory speeds will not go higher than 4800, even using XMP (which, btw, is unstable af). I am using the latest BIOS version (0811), did anyone else with the same motherboard as me managed to get dual channel, XMP II stable?

I am thinking about returning the motherboard (and maybe the Intel CPU as well) and get new ones in case those are defective. I have the feeling that the RAM is not defective. Did anyone get a new mobo and managed to run it flawless? I tried many things, from reseating the CPU, to getting the AIO pump less tigthen to alleviate presure just in case that was bringing any strange behaviour, while also checking if the PINs were bent or sth. Nothing helped.
39 REPLIES 39

Chainbold wrote:
The problems with DDR5 not running properly (or at all) on the Z690-F are reported everywhere. It's obvious that there is a problem, probably related to the circuitry feeding the sockets. It seems though Asus does not care. I wonder how many Z690-F have meanwhile been RMA returned to them.

So what have you done to get your slots to work? I'm thinking of increasing voltage to see if it would work.
Literally scrambling everything and reading everywhere, just want to get use of the extra RAM, unfortunately still no luck.

Katheeri wrote:
So what have you done to get your slots to work? I'm thinking of increasing voltage to see if it would work.
Literally scrambling everything and reading everywhere, just want to get use of the extra RAM, unfortunately still no luck.

So I've got some issues too.
Z690F, 12900k, 4x16gb ddr5 6000mhz cl40.40.40.76
I'm a bit of a noob here, so forgive me.
I'm forced to run bios in default mode.
If I change any little thing, it hangs for 10 minutes and tells me to reset bios.
Changing the xmp, hangs.
Setting up the ram manually, hangs
Even if I only set the frequency to 6000, hang and reset.
I keep checking for a bios update but nothing.

DecaAndersen wrote:
I'm a bit of a noob here, so forgive me.
I'm forced to run bios in default mode.
If I change any little thing, it hangs for 10 minutes and tells me to reset bios.
Changing the xmp, hangs.
Setting up the ram manually, hangs
Even if I only set the frequency to 6000, hang and reset.
I keep checking for a bios update but nothing.

Here's my convo with "tech" support.

DecaAndersen wrote:

You are running 4 x 16 GB? That explains it. Please check the sticky about this issue. While with DDR3 and DDR4, having 4 sockets populated wasn't a problem as long as you were running the modules at (JEDEC) default, it seems almost impossible to do so with DDR5. You are actually lucky to get the system up with 4 x 16 GB at all. Other users can't.

To get better stability I would increase the RAM voltage. It seems you are running the modules at default 1.1 volt. I would increase to 1.2 or even higher. It seems anything up to 1.4 volt is safe.

Chainbold wrote:
You are running 4 x 16 GB? That explains it. Please check the sticky about this issue. While with DDR3 and DDR4, having 4 sockets populated wasn't a problem as long as you were running the modules at (JEDEC) default, it seems almost impossible to do so with DDR5. You are actually lucky to get the system up with 4 x 16 GB at all. Other users can't.

To get better stability I would increase the RAM voltage. It seems you are running the modules at default 1.1 volt. I would increase to 1.2 or even higher. It seems anything up to 1.4 volt is safe.

i dont know what (JEDEC) is, but i assume its stock bios settings.
as mentioned, i've tried changing 1 thing at the time, even the voltage, at it still hangs and resets.
i can change little things in AI suite 3, but not much.

DecaAndersen wrote:
i dont know what (JEDEC) is, but i assume its stock bios settings.
as mentioned, i've tried changing 1 thing at the time, even the voltage, at it still hangs and resets.
i can change little things in AI suite 3, but not much.

You can see the JEDEC defaults in the screenshot that you posted. They kick automatically in, unless you select XMP profiles in BIOS. Frankly, as you have already increased voltage, I think you are out of luck with your 4 x 16 GB. Some people say, it's your mistake, because you should have researched DDR5 issues before buying. Well, I have a different opinion regarding this. In none of the many reviews about Z690 motherboards running DDR5 was anything mentioned about DDR5 having problems running with 4 modules populated. And never was there any problem running 4 modules DDR3 or DDR4 at default frequencies, I have done so for years in dozens of systems, and never had any problem. So, how could one know that this is different for DDR5? It does not help you. Maybe selling the 2 DDR5 kits with 32 GB each that you have, and going for a 2 x 32 GB kit, if you really need 64GB?

Chainbold wrote:
You can see the JEDEC defaults in the screenshot that you posted. They kick automatically in, unless you select XMP profiles in BIOS. Frankly, as you have already increased voltage, I think you are out of luck with your 4 x 16 GB. Some people say, it's your mistake, because you should have researched DDR5 issues before buying. Well, I have a different opinion regarding this. In none of the many reviews about Z690 motherboards running DDR5 was anything mentioned about DDR5 having problems running with 4 modules populated. And never was there any problem running 4 modules DDR3 or DDR4 at default frequencies, I have done so for years in dozens of systems, and never had any problem. So, how could one know that this is different for DDR5? It does not help you. Maybe selling the 2 DDR5 kits with 32 GB each that you have, and going for a 2 x 32 GB kit, if you really need 64GB?

Yeah i saw many, many reviews beforehand and not one of them mentioned any issues, quite the contrary, they praised them like it was the discovery of the wheel.
My previous rig had 32 and Photoshop and video editing was struggling somewhat.
I tried with two sticks and single ram, same deal.
And which board should i go with? I'd rather change board than Ram.

DecaAndersen wrote:
Yeah i saw many, many reviews beforehand and not one of them mentioned any issues, quite the contrary, they praised them like it was the discovery of the wheel.
My previous rig had 32 and Photoshop and video editing was struggling somewhat.
I tried with two sticks and single ram, same deal.
And which board should i go with? I'd rather change board than Ram.

It's your Strix Z690-F then. I was in the same situation. The vendor acknowledged that my first Z690-F would not run any DDR5 module in any of the A sockets, and replaced the board. The second board has been working so far. I think you should RMA your board.

Chainbold wrote:
It's your Strix Z690-F then. I was in the same situation. The vendor acknowledged that my first Z690-F would not run any DDR5 module in any of the A sockets, and replaced the board. The second board has been working so far. I think you should RMA your board.

thanks, im thinking about getting the Hero instead. thats the board most reviewers are using to test ddr5 rams.

DecaAndersen wrote:
thanks, im thinking about getting the Hero instead. thats the board most reviewers are using to test ddr5 rams.

UPDATE!
It looks like BIOS 1003 fixed the compatibility issues and can now run both XMP 1 and 2 at 6000mhz
However,
windows still thinks its DDR5-4800 at 2400mhz, and lots and lots of BSD's