cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Gaming-F - Issues w/ RAM configurations

Dread13
Level 9
Hello guys,

Just built my new z690 PC (12700k, Trident Z5 6000 36CL, Asus Z690-F). As many pointed out with other motherboards, I am unable to run a dual channel config, only being able to slot it 2 sticks in B1/B2 slots. If I try to use any of the other ones, it will not post. Also, the memory speeds will not go higher than 4800, even using XMP (which, btw, is unstable af). I am using the latest BIOS version (0811), did anyone else with the same motherboard as me managed to get dual channel, XMP II stable?

I am thinking about returning the motherboard (and maybe the Intel CPU as well) and get new ones in case those are defective. I have the feeling that the RAM is not defective. Did anyone get a new mobo and managed to run it flawless? I tried many things, from reseating the CPU, to getting the AIO pump less tigthen to alleviate presure just in case that was bringing any strange behaviour, while also checking if the PINs were bent or sth. Nothing helped.
39 REPLIES 39

In an effort to keep this updated, I will tell you all what is going on:

I asked for a replacement for the entire set (CPU/MOBO/RAM). I got a new Z690-F and a new 12700K. The RAM is different, it is now a Trident Z5 5600/CL36 (lil worse but overclockable to 6400 nonetheless, just 0.1V less than the 6000/CL36 I had before). I was able to flash the bios to the latest version and was able this time to turn on XMP II, effectively getting 5600/C36 on the RAM. The only issue is that A1 and A2 RAM slots are still not working.

I have directly called ASUS support. They told me that they would contact me back in 24 hours with what is going on. 3 motherboards, same issue accross all of them: it just seems something is odd here. I am now using the computer with the sticks on the B1 and B2 slots no problems. I'll keep this updated with further info.

Dread13 wrote:
The only issue is that A1 and A2 RAM slots are still not working.

This is exactly the issue I experienced as well, and others are also reporting. If you do not get A1 / A2 working, your RAM is running only in dual channel, not as they are supposed to run in quad mode. I am more and more getting the feeling something is not right with the design/wiring of the Rog Strix 690-F.

I reinstalled the AIO and it all of a sudden recognizes slots A1 and A2. I am not quite sure what is going on, but it works. Now I have quad channel memory and the PC is a freaking rocket 🙂

Dread13 wrote:
I reinstalled the AIO and it all of a sudden recognizes slots A1 and A2. I am not quite sure what is going on, but it works. Now I have quad channel memory and the PC is a freaking rocket 🙂

Congratulations! Once, you get the Strix 690-F running, it works like a charm.

Chainbold wrote:
Congratulations! Once, you get the Strix 690-F running, it works like a charm.

It does! And it comes with amazing features to unlock the full potential of the 12700K 🙂 getting impressive results, hope you enjoy yours as well 🙂

Hey All,
I am just going to add to the report. I got the newegg G.Skill DDR5-6000 / Strix Z690-F. And I am also having loads of issue getting quad channel memory to work.
First MB, only B1/B2 would worked
Second MB, only A1/A2 will work.
third MB, only A1/A2 will work.

All ASUS boards, third board was a Z690-A Prime. Put in an RMA to get the DDR5 sticks replaced. What a bummer this has been.

zinner wrote:
Hey All,
I am just going to add to the report. I got the newegg G.Skill DDR5-6000 / Strix Z690-F. And I am also having loads of issue getting quad channel memory to work.
First MB, only B1/B2 would worked
Second MB, only A1/A2 will work.
third MB, only A1/A2 will work.

All ASUS boards, third board was a Z690-A Prime. Put in an RMA to get the DDR5 sticks replaced. What a bummer this has been.

I am also having this problem, it seems to be a common occurrence

EDIT: Same RAM CL56

The problems with DDR5 not running properly (or at all) on the Z690-F are reported everywhere. It's obvious that there is a problem, probably related to the circuitry feeding the sockets. It seems though Asus does not care. I wonder how many Z690-F have meanwhile been RMA returned to them.

Chainbold wrote:
The problems with DDR5 not running properly (or at all) on the Z690-F are reported everywhere. It's obvious that there is a problem, probably related to the circuitry feeding the sockets. It seems though Asus does not care. I wonder how many Z690-F have meanwhile been RMA returned to them.

Yea it's a shame, I wish there is a way they can fix it by just updating some of the firmware inside the motherboard.

I've commented on other posts as well. Z690 Asus Apex board, Corsair 5600 C36 DDR 5 - will only run at 4800mhz. XMP 1 and II both create a multitude of BSODs....and the Apex is supposed to be a premium overclocking board!

I am almost positive these issues can be fixed by BIOS revisions. Certainly in my case I am confident the RAM itself is fine and passes MemTest etc with no issues. XMP profiles are not supposed to be a dark art and should work out of the box at their intended settings without issue.