cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO with 14900k - when XMP enabled can see NVMe Boot drive

Londondesigner
Level 7

Hi,

Got a weird one.  If I turn on XMP on a set of: 

• Corsair DOMINATOR Titanium RGB Black 64GB 6000MHz DDR5

The PC goes into Bios and can't see the 2TB WD Black SN770M.

I assume it is something misconfigured in the bios relating to XMP.

I've updated to the latest Bios of the motherboard and updated the 2 TB bios.

Weirdly, it still sees the second WD in its slot but not the boot drive in the top slot nearest the CPU.

• Any ideas?  It works fine if I leave XMP off, but I don't like leaving performance on the table!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

JohnAb
Level 17

Would seem like a memory stability issue most likely, but somebody else recently reported a drive not being detected in slot M.2_1 recently. Could be related to memory stability I suppose, although I'm guessing. I would have thought that 6000Mt/s should be achievable, not a crazy speed. 

Maybe a good way forward is to do some memory tests with XMP off to make sure it's all stable for sure and then try higher memory related voltages and try turning XMP back on. If you have 4 sticks (which often cause problems), try two as well. 

There are plenty of people around here that know a lot more about memory voltages than I do, but there are also plenty of threads on here discussing RAM voltages and how to go about trying that. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Yeah it's not as fast as some options out there.

It's also only two sticks in a dual channel config. Like I said in the post if I turn Xmp off seems to happily boot. 

I know next to nothing on memory overclocking. I will try running a memory test with Xmp off, are there tests in the bios as with it on I can't get into windows.

That's good, 2 sticks should be much easier and MemTest 86+ should be available in your BIOS, hopefully. It's a good place to start and easy to use. If not, there are other memory tests that you can run from a USB boot stick. Check out MemTest 86 by Passmark for example. There are others too. 

If you get good results from that, then I would try higher voltages next with XMP and see of you can get into Windows. Like I said, you'll find voltage advice in these threads with some searching. There aren't too many settings to change, so you should be OK. The trick is not to set the memory voltages too high of course. Good luck. I can't think of what else could be causing your NVME not to be detected with XMP on. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.