cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero M.2 Motherboard slots

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Hello,
I have a question about the choice of M.2 slots on my motherboard that I took for granted. The info that I read about M.2 slots is still kind of confusing. I don`t know why it is getting so much harder to find explanations about motherboard features.
Anyway, I installed 2 Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD`s in the M.2_1 slot and the M.2_3 slot. The reason I chose those slots is because the manual says those 2 slots support PCIE 4.0 mode.
Did I choose the correct and best slots for the fastest speeds? I am not using the Hyper M.2 card and my GPU is in the first slot. (PCIEX 16 (G5)_1)
The info I try to find about this stuff is limited.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

world
You're right! The M.2_1 and M.2_3 are the slots you want for your 980 Pros for PCIE 4.0 support, so they should be your best bet for getting the best speeds on the M.2 slots on the motherboard

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Thank you.

Tsou88
Level 7
I have a question too about the m2 slots. I installed my samsung 980 pro with windows 10 on my pcie5 slot but the ssd is pcie4. Will this affect my computer speed in anyway?

Tsou88 wrote:
I have a question too about the m2 slots. I installed my samsung 980 pro with windows 10 on my pcie5 slot but the ssd is pcie4. Will this affect my computer speed in anyway?

Not at all, the drive should operate the same in the GEN 5.0 or other available GEN 4.0 slots.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Not at all, the drive should operate the same in the GEN 5.0 or other available GEN 4.0 slots.

then why my desktop is super slow on cold starts/restarts/shutdowns? I have done EVERYTHING and nothing helped

Tsou88 wrote:
then why my desktop is super slow on cold starts/restarts/shutdowns? I have done EVERYTHING and nothing helped

Hi mate, BIOS optimization's, hardware optimization and windows environment optimization are totally different issue. If all bios and hardware not giving you any error, the rest is up to OS layer. May I suggest you to view your windows event log and see if any unusual event.

Hello
Allow me to add the following question to this topic:
If I use M.2_1 and M.2_3 sockets, will I still have all SATA sockets fully accessible?
will any of them be disabled? I am going to install Samsung 1tb 980 Pro to M.2_1 socket
and Samsung 970 Evo plus 2tb to M.2_3 socket.
Unless it will be better if I install drives in M.2_2 and M.2_3 sockets?
(on the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO motherboard there will be an i9-12900k processor)