cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to remove Intel ME and rollback to a previous version?

Drayco31
Level 11
Updated a few weeks ago using MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.2020_T and system crashed 5 minutes after it rebooted. I re-did and it was fine for 6 days and has just locked up again after 5. When it happens I can still hear audio and see my desktop but keyboard, mouse don't do anything. Keyboard loses connection as it no longer connects to it's receiver. If plugging it in doesn't get it to work either. After a while of waiting screen goes black. Have to force a shutdown and turn system back on.

Haven't crashed since August 10th, which is when I finally got a working GPU that is not crashing my system multiple times a day. Still have the previous MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.1885_T DL on my drive but I can't use that as it's only. Anyone know if it's possble to strip the latest and return to using the previous version and how?
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Drayco31

Before attempting to remove and install an older ME driver, try running at default settings for a few days and see if you still get the freezing.

To reset to defaults, enter the bios and hit the F5 key.

A complete list of your system hardware can be helpful.

Drayco31
Level 11
CPU: 12700K
Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Mobo Bios: 1504
Ram: Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 4266Mhz CL19
Storage: 1x 250Gb Samsung 980 Pro M.2
2TB Samsung 980 Pro Plus M.2,
2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio
PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750W 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse: G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL

Bios changes include XMP and undervolting CPU. Completely stable and has been undervolted for almost a year as any crashes I've had were always GPU related and that has finally been changed and no crashing since it was replaced in August. The undervolt is why I refused to update Bios since on of them removed/locked that ability and you can't rollback to my current Bios 1504 which allows me to run cooler and quieter. No need to be pushing things when I'm doing low intensity stuff. Save the pushing till I'm gaming with headphones on.

Papusan
Level 9
There is a possibility of downgrading ME but it is a somewhat complicated process if you are not that familiar with it. You can read more here... https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/intel-converged-security-management-engine-drivers-firmware-and-to...

But now that you've said A, maybe go for B. There is a new Intel ME Consumer Firmware out : 16.1.25.2091 . Or just ask for the thread author for help https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126385-FIRMWARE-Intel-ME-(H610-B660-H670-Z690-B760-H770-Z7...

Papusan wrote:
There is a possibility of downgrading ME but it is a somewhat complicated process if you are not that familiar with it. You can read more here... https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/intel-converged-security-management-engine-drivers-firmware-and-to...

But now that you've said A, maybe go for B. There is a new Intel ME Consumer Firmware out : 16.1.25.2091 . Or just ask for the thread author for help https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126385-FIRMWARE-Intel-ME-(H610-B660-H670-Z690-B760-H770-Z7...

Thanks, will keep that guide to downgrade bookmarked, hopefully I won't have to mess around with all that and have gone with the later verson, 16.1.25.2091, you linked as that's much simpler

Problem with an intermittent issue is it could take days to find out if it helps. All I can do is wait and hope it's fixed things. /fingers crossed

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Try updating to the latest ME Firmware as already suggested. You ideally want to check if the instability is occurring at optimised defaults before troubleshooting further. The reason for this is changes to the management engine can result in breaking stability when overclocking, meaning the user needs to reevaluate the overclock. This naturally includes any memory overclocking changes or profiles.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Roachman43
Level 9

I updated my ME last week, my m2 slot 1 no longer works, pc crashed after about 4 hr, my ssd is in slot 2 now.
XMP enabled only.

Asus Rog Strix Z790-F | Intel i7 13700 KF | Asus Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 TUF | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16GB | Asus Rog Strix LC II 240 | Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB | MSI MPG A850G PCIe5 ATX 3.0 | Win 10 | Asus Rog Strix Scope TKL | Asus Rog Gladius II Origin

trihy
Level 9

You need to update bios too

Roachman43
Level 9

I updated the me, but i had to afk, came back to pc and it was in bios with no ssd in the boot option, restart pc and back to bios. I had to put my ssd in slot 2 for bios to show it. This is when i installed the matching bios

Asus Rog Strix Z790-F | Intel i7 13700 KF | Asus Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 TUF | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16GB | Asus Rog Strix LC II 240 | Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB | MSI MPG A850G PCIe5 ATX 3.0 | Win 10 | Asus Rog Strix Scope TKL | Asus Rog Gladius II Origin