cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any success with Windows 11 22H2?

rsnelson
Level 9
Has anyone had luck updating or installing Windows 11 22H2 yet on Z690 Hero systems? For a few days, Windows Update showed 22H2 was an option. Attempts to update however failed after about 8% in. Now, all I see in Windows Update is Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2. No information is provided about any specific safeguards which would be preventing this from occurring.

The system firmware is completely up to date right now with 2004 BIOS and ME. All latest drivers are also updated as of today.

Of all the ASUS software, I only plan on installing Crate and this is just to control Aura lighting.

I need to re-install the OS anyway and I am half tempted to see what happens with 22H2. But would like to know what others have run into on this. Or is it just best to reinstall the original Windows 11 and wait until Asus gives the green light?
31 REPLIES 31

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Asus won’t give a green light.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

You can force install by using Windows installation assistant ( I used assistant) or Windows media creation tool, depends what you want upgrade or clean install)

Also anti virus of some vendors can make problems. I had similar problem (i.e windows 22h2 was pretending to install come to some % then stop) until I did not uninstall third party antivirus.

I have asus board (prime x470) tough not z690 (that is I have that too but I wait for Raptor Lake to use it :))..That would be my first Intel build in 25 years.

I hope that can help you.

Saltgrass
Level 13
This seems to be an interesting site. It is a third party site so be careful but something there may help explain.

https://www.diskpart.com/windows-11/upgrade-to-windows-11-22h2-0001.html#:~:text=Select%20%22NI22H2%....

There are many folks who have not yet upgraded to 22H2 because it hasn't been offered. This seems to be a different situation where an upgrade has been offered and is attempted but something is found which blocks the upgrade.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

ahfoo
Level 13
I personally do not facing any issue for Windows 1122H2. I am currently running a dev version of Windows 11 dev version 25211, and touch wood I never encounter major issue.

sukrut4778
Level 7
rsnelson wrote:
Has anyone had luck updating or installing Windows 11 22H2 yet on Z690 Hero systems? For a few days, Windows Update showed 22H2 was an option. Attempts to update however failed after about 8% in. Now, all I see in Windows Update is Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2. No information is provided about any specific safeguards which would be preventing this from occurring.

The system firmware is completely up to date right now with 2004 BIOS and ME. All latest drivers are also updated as of today.

Of all the ASUS software, I only plan on installing Crate and this is just to control Aura lighting.

I need to re-install the OS anyway and I am half tempted to see what happens with 22H2. But would like to know what others have run into on this. Or is it just best to reinstall the original Windows 11 and wait until Asus gives the green light?

I didn't update windows from windows update I just clean installed it the only issue I am facing is with Crate, aio hardware won't show after sleep mode everytime i need to restart pc to work + MB is not showing in components

sukrut4778 wrote:
I didn't update windows from windows update I just clean installed it the only issue I am facing is with Crate, aio hardware won't show after sleep mode everytime i need to restart pc to work + MB is not showing in components

Please enlighten us by informing us here more detail about your hardware spec. But one thing I am curious that at any one point windows 11 provide new update for windows you re-install windows that puzzle me in a way.

ahfoo wrote:
Please enlighten us by informing us here more detail about your hardware spec. But one thing I am curious that at any one point windows 11 provide new update for windows you re-install windows that puzzle me in a way.

Detailed specs: Hero Z690 motherboard, i9-12900K CPU, G.SKILL F5-6000J3040F16GX2-TZ5RK (2x16GB) memory, ASUS Thor 1200W power supply, ROG-STRIX-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING graphics card, EKWB custom cooling

I was able to enable XMP on the memory without issue. However, I could not get overclocking to work.. but I didn't try that hard (tried without XMP enabled).

Detailed information about installation: This is a fairly new build. I installed Windows 11 Pro without issue. With this I installed all the recommended ASUS software plus some others to test out the components as well as to monitor the health of the system. I found many of the ASUS software products to compete with each other or have issues. For example, AI Suite 3 EPU controls fan settings as well as Crate's Fan Expert. GPU Tweak III would force my monitor to refresh at 30 Hz upon system startup (along with an error message). I was also over my head with things that could be done in AI Suite and quite frankly afraid of attempting to change any of the settings. So my system was full of software which I really couldn't or didn't want to utilize any of their features.

At that point Windows 22H2 was made available to me through Windows Update. However, I could not install because it would error out at about 8%. Fingers pointed to corrupted windows update components. sfc showed bthmodem.sys as being corrupted.

So I thought it would be best at this point to just try a fresh install of Windows 11 21H2. After a fresh install sfc still showed bthmodem.sys was still corrupted. No Asus supplementary (i.e. non driver) software was installed. Windows update was not giving options to update to Windows 11 22H2 at all. After a few days, Windows Update said "Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2" with no indication of what was causing the block.

I updated the system with all the latest drivers available on the ASUS website as well as others which were available elsewhere and not yet available at Asus.com (mainly Intel WiFi and LAN drivers).

I also updated the BIOS to 2004 and included the ME firmware and driver updates.

Still, Windows Update had the safeguard hold.

This morning, Windows Update is giving options to update to Windows 11 22H2. I'm guessing this is available now because the system has all the latest drivers.

I may try and install 22H2 fresh based on the fact Windows 11 seems to have 'approved' my system. It sounds like there may be some issues with Crate (as mentioned by sukrut4778 - thanks!) which I may need to be aware of.

ahfoo wrote:

Okay It was windows 11 issue.
After updaing to 22621.608 patch Crate issues are fixed. Aio display working in crate and MB component is also showing

If anybody is still waiting for 22H2 (like me) then I found this suggestion to simply look in the registry:

https://www.diskpart.com/windows-11/upgrade-to-windows-11-22h2-0001.html#:~:text=Select%20%22NI22H2%...

On my 690 Hero, 12900K, 5200MHz Corsair RAM 2x 16GB RAM and 3090TI, the "RedReason" in the registry = NONE, so no doubt 22H2 will install eventually. I'm happy to wait, but if anybody is wondering, at least you see if it is blocked for any reason by looking at the registry values. Another common option is to use the MS Installation Assistant to grab the update sooner, but as I said I'm in no rush anyway.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.