cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any success with Windows 11 22H2?

rsnelson
Level 9
Has anyone had luck updating or installing Windows 11 22H2 yet on Z690 Hero systems? For a few days, Windows Update showed 22H2 was an option. Attempts to update however failed after about 8% in. Now, all I see in Windows Update is Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2. No information is provided about any specific safeguards which would be preventing this from occurring.

The system firmware is completely up to date right now with 2004 BIOS and ME. All latest drivers are also updated as of today.

Of all the ASUS software, I only plan on installing Crate and this is just to control Aura lighting.

I need to re-install the OS anyway and I am half tempted to see what happens with 22H2. But would like to know what others have run into on this. Or is it just best to reinstall the original Windows 11 and wait until Asus gives the green light?
31 REPLIES 31

As if by magic and the very next day after my last post I got 22H2. The upgrade took around 90 minutes in total (that's a bit of a guess, I didn't time it exactly).

Anyway, everything seems to work. My installed software like Office 2019 still seems fine, as does my Office 365 account for work. The only thing I had to do was reinstall Armoury Crate (it was suggested automatically). No changes to settings or drivers needed within Crate, everything was the same as before the upgrade once reinstalled.

For such a big upgrade, everything looks just the same to me so far. The most exciting thing I noticed was a different style of spinning circle during the reboot/upgrade process. Maybe that justifies it lol. It was so exciting that I thought you might enjoy a photograph. Ok, that's too much for me in one day!
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Me too man same errors since 22H2 but i think there is no worry about these... it just does nothing... as one guy here said it with fresh install these new errors dont appear so fix is probably fresh install which i will probably do in future anyway.

rsnelson- with fresh install those mentioned really doesnt appear? I have same ID errors as guy mention them here but so far its just there in Eventwiever dont thik myself its reason to worry.. its not even in red as error its marked under yellow... But i was planning fresh install anyways so.. buying new M2 drive for OS so i cant atleast test this way if those errors mentioned still appear. Thanks for info that with fresh install its OK.

U did fresh install on purpose to get rid of them or its random?

Nagasek wrote:
rsnelson- with fresh install those mentioned really doesnt appear? I have same ID errors as guy mention them here but so far its just there in Eventwiever dont thik myself its reason to worry.. its not even in red as error its marked under yellow... But i was planning fresh install anyways so.. buying new M2 drive for OS so i cant atleast test this way if those errors mentioned still appear. Thanks for info that with fresh install its OK.

U did fresh install on purpose to get rid of them or its random?

I did a fresh install to 22H2 on purpose. My system was new enough and I had enough junk on the original install that it wasn't a big deal to start over.

ahfoo
Level 13
Sorry to offence Asus, Crate always behave in odd with different system. I tried to not update my crate that work well with iCUE which control most of my system fan and CPU fan(air cool Noctual D15 Chromax black). I install crate because I need the Asus plugin to work with iCUE for GPU and mobo. But despite that, I never encounter any issue for Asus mobo with Windows 11 22H2. My advice is if your crate managed to work well after with windows 11 22H2. Just leave crate alone with that version sitting there quietly and dont bother to update it if you can. DO not fix it if aint broke.

But so far I am quite happy to see my non dev version of windows 11 with Asus mobo, crate and GPU are still working without any issue. To be honest I hate updating/upgrading all the time except device drivers.

Falkentyne
Level 12
Using 22H2 installed from the official ISO. No issues yet, except now I can see that Stockfish chess (run through Chessbase or Arena UCI) doesn't put all the P-cores to sleep when alt tabbing into a browser window (or starting up HWinfo)--the cores remain fully loaded, so now I can go on lichess to the puzzle window without stockfish running on just the e-cores and losing 75% of its hash rate. So that's a relief.

LinX still drops in gflops (puts P cores idle) when alt tabbing to a browser though

All updates up to and including 22621.525 generate the errors in title
I do not have this issue with 22H1.

These errors with 22H2 on my system worry me because I have no idea of what problems can arise.

Since the beginning of the release of 22H2, all versions (in my case) have generated multiple event messages which I have no idea how to fix
(Event ID 360: Windows hello for business)
(Event ID 6155: LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behavior with Credential Guard.),
(Event ID 15: Wininit Windows Defender Credential Guard (LsaIso.exe) is configured but the secure kernel is not running; continuing without Windows Defender Credential Guard. )
(Event ID 1108: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing).

I think that all of this is related to a prior install of Windows Enterprise and business credential guard and/or a professional account activation (now disabled) but I am not certain. When I had the Enterprise version of Win 11, I tried to disable credential guard, LSA service, Windows hello for business and so on to no avail.

I can't find a way to remove all traces of previous accounts.

In BIOS, I also tried to disable secure boot, deleted secure boot keys, reinstalled a clean version of Windows (PRO not Enterprise). I also tried to disable TPM but latest bios version prevents you from disabling PTT setting.

I don’t want to use anything that is related to Windows hello business and I do not know if these errors are generating problems with the system.

I do not see any option to disable to whole credential guard package and it does not even seem to be enabled on my Win Pro version.
I do not work on a network nor do I use RDP for work.

Windows hello for business and credential guard are very confusing and complicated to me and I cannot imagine how bad it must be to understand for someone that has no experience with Windows. Imagine trying to understand UEFI firmware security lock and so on when you don't use it.

This is the most confusing upgrade of Windows for me since Windows XP. I have tested many versions but this is a major challenge!

This is a real pain!!

Zardoc wrote:

These errors with 22H2 on my system worry me because I have no idea of what problems can arise.

Since the beginning of the release of 22H2, all versions (in my case) have generated multiple event messages which I have no idea how to fix
(Event ID 6155: LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behavior with Credential Guard.),
(Event ID 15: Wininit Windows Defender Credential Guard (LsaIso.exe) is configured but the secure kernel is not running; continuing without Windows Defender Credential Guard. )

I'm not seeing these event messages with a fresh install.

Zardoc wrote:

I think that all of this is related to a prior install of Windows Enterprise and business credential guard and/or a professional account activation (now disabled) but I am not certain. When I had the Enterprise version of Win 11, I tried to disable credential guard, LSA service, Windows hello for business and so on to no avail.

I can't find a way to remove all traces of previous accounts.

In BIOS, I also tried to disable secure boot, deleted secure boot keys, reinstalled a clean version of Windows (PRO not Enterprise). I also tried to disable TPM but latest bios version prevents you from disabling PTT setting.

I don’t want to use anything that is related to Windows hello business and I do not know if these errors are generating problems with the system.

I do not see any option to disable to whole credential guard package and it does not even seem to be enabled on my Win Pro version.
I do not work on a network nor do I use RDP for work.

Windows hello for business and credential guard are very confusing and complicated to me and I cannot imagine how bad it must be to understand for someone that has no experience with Windows. Imagine trying to understand UEFI firmware security lock and so on when you don't use it.

This is the most confusing upgrade of Windows for me since Windows XP. I have tested many versions but this is a major challenge!

This is a real pain!!

I hope fresh install will resolve this. I also dont know what problems can arise from this but probably NONE.... its just windows bull**** not like anything on hardware error like heavy BSOD or something... clean install should and must fix this. As one user here mentioned that with fresh install he didnt have those messages there

Nagasek wrote:
I hope fresh install will resolve this. I also dont know what problems can arise from this but probably NONE.... its just windows bull**** not like anything on hardware error like heavy BSOD or something... clean install should and must fix this. As one user here mentioned that with fresh install he didnt have those messages there

Even after a fresh install, EventLog Errors are plentiful after every boot. One difference from my install to the other guy who says he isnt' experiencing them. I used all drivers from here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119120-INDEX-All-My-Firmware-Drivers-Software-Threads. He used the drivers from the official Asus website support page. Don't know if that's why or not the issue at all....? If you just google those Event ID's, lots of forums with same issue. (https://www.elevenforum.com/t/microsoft-windows-security-auditing-event-1108-errors.8012/)