cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Board Another failed XMP Profile ASUS Z690 wifi gaming e (ddr5)-

howell
Level 7
So my issue is simply that my ASUS Z690 wifi gaming e board will not boot on any XMP profile. It will not run on any of the other provided JDEC options either. The only way I can get a boot on it is to turn off XMP and set the ram speed to auto. That boots up the computer propertly, but it locks in my memory at 4000mghz and thats all I can get. Pretty frustrating when you spend all this extra money on a board with so many features and a high spec DDR5 (at the moment) ram from a reliable mfg.

This is my memory kit.
https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Trident-PC5-44800-CL36-36-36-76-F5-5600U3636C16GA2-TZ5K/dp/B09MXKJ2BS...

Any suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

howell wrote:
Ok, so finally got it working.

I had memory in slots 1 and 3 instead of the recommended 2 and 4.

Switched everything over, the bios took a while to recognize things but once it did everything booted up. I am now running xmp.

Thank you. I've tried everything for months and as soon as I read this, I knew it would work (I checked the manual to confirm).

Mangonz
Level 9
I have issues with XMP I on my Corsair Dominator 5200. If I enable XMP I, the 10GB ethernet controller disappears, RBG freezes and Animatrix doesn't work, and it crashes on wake if I leave it idle for a while.
XMP II Is better but Ethernet controller sometimes reports 'No internet' still and crash from wake still happens quite a lot. JDEC also crashes sometimes on wake from sleep but at least the ethernet is stable. I am giving it a go with Fast Boot disabled to see if that helps but I think bios needs some work.

That being said my Rampage V Extreme which was DDR4's first outing was always unstable with XMP, tried 2 CPUs, 4 RAM kits and 22 bios updates over 6 years. So... Hoping that isn't the case here.

I have the same issue.

2 x 16 GB GSKILL 6000mhz , cl40. If I use xmp 1 or 2, system is unstable , locks up, bsod and sometimes it won't even boot. With XMP off, everything is fine ( bios 1003).

Hope they get this fixed asap. If it needs more voltage, please add some in the profiles. I know they can't test every memory kit in existence but it looks like it's like that with almost every kit.

madspecv wrote:
I have the same issue.

2 x 16 GB GSKILL 6000mhz , cl40. If I use xmp 1 or 2, system is unstable , locks up, bsod and sometimes it won't even boot. With XMP off, everything is fine ( bios 1003).

Hope they get this fixed asap. If it needs more voltage, please add some in the profiles. I know they can't test every memory kit in existence but it looks like it's like that with almost every kit.

It's really not that simple. Adding voltage merrily to every profile simply because some CPU and memory kits don't favour the set auto rules isn't any part of a validation process. This is why the values can be tuned manually.

Some of these signal rails are sensitive to voltage. Look to MCVDD and VCCSA. These values are the most impactful and can make or break stability depending on the [combination of] CPU and memory kit, this includes applying too much voltage.

Depending on the auto rules for both, work methodically up or down.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Undertoker
Level 9
I’ve never seen such a poor generational launch as 12th and ddr5
it’s crap. I myself have a pair of 16gb g.skill ddr5 sticks that are supposed to run at 6000mhz , they will boot and they do run, sometimes for half an hour other times for an hour - but they aren’t stable
I’ve never ever had to manually tweak voyages to get an XMP profile to run, the memory has board QVL certification, I shouldn’t have to go into voltages.
12th gen has been nothing but aggro, the first board I had was an Asus hero, it would only run fine at 811 bios, any bios over that and the gpu performance halved both in synthetic benchmarks and in games, it’s was a bloody nightmare and no one could tell me why.
I tried the gpu, a Strix 3090oc, in two other machines and it’s perfect. But only with the 811 or 803 bios would in run properly in that hero board.
I then bought a 12900ks and had to upgrade to the 1403 bios, so I basically had to bin a £500 hero board……*

So I then bought an Asus extreme board and the bios is 1403 and the gpu runs as it should
But the g.skill memory just isn’t stable unless it’s running at 4800…..ffs….
This set is a Samsung based 6000 cl40 kit
So now out of desperation I’ve ordered a Corsair dominator platinum 6200mhz cl32, this is a Hynix based ddr5 kit and from what I’m reading Hynix are better than Samsung at ddr5 it seems.
It arrives next week and if it is no different than it’s a case of waiting for Asus to release a decent bios with the proper voltage settings for the qvl appraised XMP profiles they advertise
It’s a total f up, the whole 12th gen release really with ddr5.
I know as an early adopter it isn’t always smooth, but I shouldn’t have to spend hours tweaking voltages and problem solving just to get a stable system, that crap is supposed to be done before it’s released….
So on Tuesday the Corsair Hynix kit will arrive and if that doesn’t work it’ll be a wait for a decent Asus bios
I don’t honestly think I’ll buy an Asus board again now**
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Undertoker wrote:
I’ve never seen such a poor generational launch as 12th and ddr5
it’s crap. I myself have a pair of 16gb g.skill ddr5 sticks that are supposed to run at 6000mhz , they will boot and they do run, sometimes for half an hour other times for an hour - but they aren’t stable
I’ve never ever had to manually tweak voyages to get an XMP profile to run, the memory has board QVL certification, I shouldn’t have to go into voltages.
12th gen has been nothing but aggro, the first board I had was an Asus hero, it would only run fine at 811 bios, any bios over that and the gpu performance halved both in synthetic benchmarks and in games, it’s was a bloody nightmare and no one could tell me why.
I tried the gpu, a Strix 3090oc, in two other machines and it’s perfect. But only with the 811 or 803 bios would in run properly in that hero board.
I then bought a 12900ks and had to upgrade to the 1403 bios, so I basically had to bin a £500 hero board……*

So I then bought an Asus extreme board and the bios is 1403 and the gpu runs as it should
But the g.skill memory just isn’t stable unless it’s running at 4800…..ffs….
This set is a Samsung based 6000 cl40 kit
So now out of desperation I’ve ordered a Corsair dominator platinum 6200mhz cl32, this is a Hynix based ddr5 kit and from what I’m reading Hynix are better than Samsung at ddr5 it seems.
It arrives next week and if it is no different than it’s a case of waiting for Asus to release a decent bios with the proper voltage settings for the qvl appraised XMP profiles they advertise
It’s a total f up, the whole 12th gen release really with ddr5.
I know as an early adopter it isn’t always smooth, but I shouldn’t have to spend hours tweaking voltages and problem solving just to get a stable system, that crap is supposed to be done before it’s released….
So on Tuesday the Corsair Hynix kit will arrive and if that doesn’t work it’ll be a wait for a decent Asus bios
I don’t honestly think I’ll buy an Asus board again now**

Boycott Asus! At this point, RMA is not enough, Been through 5 Z690 boards, 4 of them Asus and unable to run XMP. The 5th one is a midtier MSI mobo and it works on the same RAM kit that is on BOTH Asus and MSI QVL list. Asus Z690 is nothing but e-waste. I will make a chargeback next and no longer recommend Asus to friends and family.