cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alder lake cpu socket mod?

theroc44
Level 9
Hey everyone, not sure if everyone knows but apparently there's a well known issue with the retention bracket putting too much pressure on the ihs which causes warping and a gap between the chip and cooler. I was wondering if I should put some washers or get a new retention plate like the kyronaut 12th gen plate to help Temps. Right now with a slight OC of 52 on all p cores and 40 on the e cores, I'm hitting 92 Celsius on full load. Prolonged stress tests and I'm throttling. Has anyone tried any of these mods? Just curious of results anyone might be getting.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

ahfoo
Level 13
It going back to those day lapping the CPU. If you adding the washer add on it will or i think will put the pressure on the mobo. That my opnion. Maybe I am wrong.

ahfoo wrote:
It going back to those day lapping the CPU. If you adding the washer add on it will or i think will put the pressure on the mobo. That my opnion. Maybe I am wrong.

I got the Thermal grizzly socket plate this past Tuesday. If anyone is interested, the results from the last four days are roughly 7c to 9c less max temps. I was hitting 95-99c with a oc of 52 pcore 40 ecore, now im in the mid to upper 80s with the same oc. The plate definitely lowered my temps not much but enough that I'm not throttling anymore.

if anyone wants to see the details on this.
https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/522-cpu-contact-frame-for-12th-gen-intel-by-der8auer

hdtvnut
Level 7
Am also using the TG Connect Frame on the Hero. And the HK IV Pro and its 1700 Backplate, replacing Optimus V2. Got temp down on CB R23 Multi from 93C peak on default to 83C on AI OC. KS chip SP 94. Still bios 1304 Win 10. Paste pattern indicates tightest fit at center now. Last cooling rating 179. Thought about trying new EK Quantum Velocity 2 block, but satisfied with this.

[Got temp down on CB R23 Multi from 93C peak on default to 83C on AI OC. KS chip SP 94.]

Some more detail on the temp drop: about six deg occurred when the hardware was changed. Can't say how much was due to the change of the block and adding backplate or to the der8auer/TG Frame, since I did them at the same time.

The other four deg was going from default to AI OC in 1304.

Der8auer says they will have a lapping jig to fit around the Frame. I won't lap because of warranty. IHS measures pretty flat.

My Hero mb is warped around the socket. The upper back corner post base is higher than the others. In tailoring the posts/washers to adjust for the 1700 IHS lower than the 1200, also have to correct the skew if I get an uneven corner pattern.

Hopper64
Level 15
Saw this video review on YouTube. Depends on what you are doing with your system. That 10 degree improvement above is impressive.

*https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3gIBe7LZ4
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

DragDay7
Level 9
That's LGA1700-BCF from Thermalright, it's super cheap, it's all over the aliexpress and there is a rumor a lot of those are clones - not sure if that's an issue though. I'm thinking of getting one as I hate the point pressure made by stock bracket.

DragDay7 wrote:
That's LGA1700-BCF from Thermalright, it's super cheap, it's all over the aliexpress and there is a rumor a lot of those are clones - not sure if that's an issue though. I'm thinking of getting one as I hate the point pressure made by stock bracket.

Yeah there are a bunch of fakes being sold. The Thermalright parts, including the LGA 1700- BCF, have a authenticity tag that is attached to each box. You scratch it off and verify the tag ID on Thermalrights website. If it doesn't have a authentic tag, its def a fake.

DragDay7 wrote:

Just be caution buying from aliexpress. Lot of fake product and most of them from the same source and belong to the same syndicate using different ID. But still aliexpress is still cheaper. Or maybe you can try taobao website.