cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI OC Z690 Hero

tawzzer
Level 8
I had a look at the AI Overclock setting on the BIOS, I know everyone says it's lame, but ASUS are a big company, and the Hero is getting up there in price these days, so I thought, why not Asus should know what they are doing? And sure enough I was pretty pleased with the result 5.4Ghz. I ran a few Cinebench runs, and Prime95 and it was stable so I left it like that. But a couple of days later I happened to notice the Vcore and it was nearly 1.5!!!. I mean I had looked at the Vcore when I was benching it, but it drops right down under load, it's only high at idle. I booted back to BIOS and saw that the AI had the Core at like 1.51V. IDK if Alderlake can handle higher voltages and this is OK, or if the AI wasn't being very intelligent. I mean obviously it can handle that voltage because it did, but for how long? Everything we have learned from the past would suggest anything over 1.4V is too much. What's everyone's thought?
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

AI Tweaker predicitions this gen actually beats out manual overclocking in most cases. By themselves will get you 90% of the way there in most cases, if not all the way. That's largely why our internal OC guide this gen directs users to it. However, when left solely to itself without user intervention it will adapt to worst-case for some CPU samples
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

AI Tweaker predicitions this gen actually beats out manual overclocking in most cases. By themselves will get you 90% of the way there in most cases, if not all the way. That's largely why our internal OC guide this gen directs users to it. However, when left solely to itself without user intervention it will adapt to worst-case for some CPU samples

I have my doubts about the AI overclock. I got a "Overclocked 68%" message upon bootup. I'm not sure what that means. I went with it. Ran a few benchmarks over the course of a few days, and it was OK. Cinebench R23 scored 27990. The temps were good but only because the cores were being downclocked. Vcore was jumping to mid 1.4v.

I then set a manual 5.2 P-core OC, 4.1 E-core/uncore. Cinebench score jumped to 29210. I currently have it tuned to an adaptive 1.369 vcore using a negative offset of .07. Hits 90c temps but only under linpack or extreme stress tests, which is not what I do on a daily basis anyway so it is not a concern.

Maybe the AI needs more time . I'm not comfortable using it yet basically because I do not have a full understanding of how it works. I think it is a good way to market a stable overclock with good temps to those not wanting to spend the time to mess around with settings. I think most users don't care about extreme case stability and will never need to worry about running an OC to the brink.

warreng090 wrote:
I have my doubts about the AI overclock. I got a "Overclocked 68%" message upon bootup. I'm not sure what that means. I went with it. Ran a few benchmarks over the course of a few days, and it was OK. Cinebench R23 scored 27990. The temps were good but only because the cores were being downclocked. Vcore was jumping to mid 1.4v.

I then set a manual 5.2 P-core OC, 4.1 E-core/uncore. Cinebench score jumped to 29210. I currently have it tuned to an adaptive 1.369 vcore using a negative offset of .07. Hits 90c temps but only under linpack or extreme stress tests, which is not what I do on a daily basis anyway so it is not a concern.

Maybe the AI needs more time . I'm not comfortable using it yet basically because I do not have a full understanding of how it works. I think it is a good way to market a stable overclock with good temps to those not wanting to spend the time to mess around with settings. I think most users don't care about extreme case stability and will never need to worry about running an OC to the brink.

Hello,

You need to look at the Tweaker page within the UEFI and look at the predictions, including per core usage.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

OK, thanks for the reply, where can I find the guide?

tawzzer
Level 8
tawzzer wrote:
I had a look at the AI Overclock setting on the BIOS, I know everyone says it's lame, but ASUS are a big company, and the Hero is getting up there in price these days, so I thought, why not Asus should know what they are doing? And sure enough I was pretty pleased with the result 5.4Ghz. I ran a few Cinebench runs, and Prime95 and it was stable so I left it like that. But a couple of days later I happened to notice the Vcore and it was nearly 1.5!!!. I mean I had looked at the Vcore when I was benching it, but it drops right down under load, it's only high at idle. I booted back to BIOS and saw that the AI had the Core at like 1.51V. IDK if Alderlake can handle higher voltages and this is OK, or if the AI wasn't being very intelligent. I mean obviously it can handle that voltage because it did, but for how long? Everything we have learned from the past would suggest anything over 1.4V is too much. What's everyone's thought?

Thanks for the replies guys. When using the AI OC I get a 71% overclock displayed when I boot, but I had the same thought as one of the folk who replied here, what does that mean, 71% of what? I guess it means over the base clock? I tried it again, and it was actually putting the voltage over > 1.6V at times, now that can't be good. Also when I was playing a game the fans were so fast I was thinking of strapping my PC down as it was trying to take off and fly around the room. In the end I just put everything back to stock, apart from XMP, and when I was gaming the difference was unbelievable, the fans didn't ramp up much above what they are at idle. I mean I know the who point of buying an unlocked SKU is so you can overclock it, but the performance you get from the 12900K is phenomenal anyway, is there any point? OK overclocking is part of the hobby and part of the enjoyment of getting an enthusiast build, but all I ever seem to get is frustration. I really loved my 9900K when I 1st got it, but after a while, because I couldn't get the OC's that I was seeing folk get on YouTube, I started to really hate the thing, and I don't want to go the same way with this 12900K.

Adrian1983
Level 10
For the first time I have just tried AI OC on my Strix Gaming A and yet again for whatever reasons Asus's bios decides it has just pumped 1.5v through my 12900K again.

I don't trust this board or Asus's bios devs one hoot right now.

I don't even have the Overvolt jumper on the board enabled CPU OV it is disabled and still decides to pump 1.5v through it.