cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little help required regarding disabling E Cores on 12900k and Increased V core?

Adrian1983
Level 11
HI,

The first game I have noticed is having an issue with all cores is enabled is Star Citizen, (I know it's in Alpha state)

The game stutters with the E Cores enabled however what I have noticed it, For example my gaming V core is normally around the 1.28-1.3v V core range but as soon as I press the "Scroll Lock" key to park the E Cores my V core jumps up to around 1.35-1.36 and temps almost increase 10c!

Obviously I don't know if this is expected behaviour when you disable the E Cores but I am not that happy about it to be honest.

So I'm currently using adaptive voltage with a - negative offset with all cores enabled and I have tried increasing the negative offset in the bios to compensate for the increased V core and temps to the same voltage as normal with all cores enabled but I am getting instant lock up as soon as Windows 11 gets to the Log on screen, I have even tried lowering the offset a little to have a little more juice over normal and still instant lock ups in Windows 11?

Anyone any idea why this is happening when I disable the E Cores?

On a Strix Z690 Gaming A D4.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

akgis_
Level 10
Its easy.

If the game is heavy threaded and I bet Star Citizen is. The load is spread into all cores, if you disable the e-cores more work for the P cores to do and P cores are built for raw power not eficiency so its normal the temps get higher.

Next time check per-core usage and disable e-cores with scroll-lock and you should see the P-cores getting more per core usage.

akgis_ wrote:
Its easy.

If the game is heavy threaded and I bet Star Citizen is. The load is spread into all cores, if you disable the e-cores more work for the P cores to do and P cores are built for raw power not eficiency so its normal the temps get higher.

Next time check per-core usage and disable e-cores with scroll-lock and you should see the P-cores getting more per core usage.

Yes I understand that but why is the voltage increasing even in the bios when I disable the E cores and also it doesn't make any sense the voltage should drop if anything not increase when further under load as any normal CPU does when it's under load.

I can't figure it out why voltage is being affected when I disable the E cores even in the bios not just with the scroll lock key.

Personally now after seeing the that the E cores can have an effect for the worse in gaming i'd rather disable the E cores altogether when gaming to ensure I am getting maximum performance but why is it increasing the CPU voltage when doing so?

Adrian1983 wrote:
Yes I understand that but why is the voltage increasing even in the bios when I disable the E cores and also it doesn't make any sense the voltage should drop if anything not increase when further under load as any normal CPU does when it's under load.

I can't figure it out why voltage is being affected when I disable the E cores even in the bios not just with the scroll lock key.

Personally now after seeing the that the E cores can have an effect for the worse in gaming i'd rather disable the E cores altogether when gaming to ensure I am getting maximum performance but why is it increasing the CPU voltage when doing so?

E cores being put to sleep will of course give you higher vcore under load, because there is less current (amps), so the voltage will drop less from the BIOS voltage setting. But since the P cores are doing the bulk of the work, the temps shouldn't differ by more than a couple of C, as the higher load voltage (less vdroop) voltage will be offset by the lower power draw (less amps drawn). It shouldn't be anything more than a 2C difference (Either direction).

Instead of putting the E-cores to sleep, go into your BIOS and disable them then do the same test and see if you get the same temps. Either way, your temps should either be lower or slightly lower. (Note: having the E cores enabled and sleeping will always give you higher temps than having the e-cores disabled).

This is assuming you are using fixed vcore.

Now if you're using adaptive voltage or by core usage, the starting VID may be very different which can affect temps. To keep things simple, do the test with fixed (override) voltage and a certain LLC and you should get more consistent results (E cores disabled/sleeping should not give you higher temps than e cores enabled).

Adrian1983
Level 11
Ignore this post I now know what it is.