cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7600 MHz doesn't work on Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi II

sava2030
Level 8

Hello everyone, A few days ago, I purchased the Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi II motherboard. The QVL list indicated that 7600MHz, and even up to 8000MHz +, should run on this motherboard. I bought G.SKILL CL 36 RAM with a speed of 7600MHz, the exact same model number listed on the QVL, and installed it. After building the PC and activating XMP, games started crashing. When I tested it with Prime95, it showed errors consistently. Then, I tested it once with 7200MHz using Prime95, and it worked flawlessly. Why isn't the RAM functioning even though it was listed on the QVL? Can we no longer trust the official QVL list? I've never had issues with the QVL list before, but nowadays, it seems to have become standard not to trust it anymore. I wouldn't have any problems if I had received an honest list. Or did I make a mistake in the settings? I would appreciate your help.

3 REPLIES 3

JohnAb
Level 17

The QVL list is of limited value and part of the problem is that the memory controller lives on the CPU, so there is no reliable way to indicate what will and won't work because those controllers vary. You can probably get a better speed with memory voltage adjustments, but if you don't want to do that, then 7200 isn't bad overall. 

I do agree though, it would be better to have a more reliable indication of what should work out of the box without having to make voltage and timing adjustments. Just look at the near endless number of posts about memory issues.

It would be much better, in my opinion, if all manufacturers found a better way to provide guidance. The current situation, I imagine, is causing a huge number of returns of memory kits and motherboards, plus disappointment for end-users. One way to do this would be to test using a 'poor' CPU at the bottom of the spectrum, so that 99% of people could reasonably expect things to work and probably get better speeds than stated. Wouldn't this be better - to have a lot of happy users rather than a lot of frustrated users?

The problem, I guess, is that all manufacturers feel under pressure to talk up what's possible for better sales. So it would need a joint effort by all the big brands. Then everybody might benefit from a better experience and the manufacturers would benefit from fewer support calls and less returns. 

Just my opinion. 

Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3603, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

I don't mind. I would have bought the board anyway. But relying solely on marketing is just the wrong approach. And no, it's not the memory controller. Because I've tested it with three different CPUs: 13600KF, 13900K, and 14900K. None of them go beyond 7200MHz. Even manual settings with voltages didn't improve anything. It's solely the motherboard's issue. So, I can completely forget about reaching 8000MHz in the future, which I had planned for. Asus would set a great example if they took the lead with the QVL list, considering they have the largest customer base. Feeling deceived is worse. Because if I had to imagine setting a trap for someone else, I would feel terrible knowing that I've made money through deceit. And we're not in a bazaar where such things should happen. Here, a lot of money is at stake. If I'm spending money, it should be for honest work and, above all, informative guidance.

That puts a different perspective on the issue then, some people have had faulty motherboards where memory speed is concerned. So if you have good evidence that it can't be the CPU, consider taking it up with Asus. The board should be capable of hitting those speeds if the QVL list contains those entries. If it can't, then the usual arguments about memory controller etc can't be relevant in your case...

Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3603, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.