cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

27W PCI-E 16X ? (Asus Z690 Maximus Apex)

alexyenov
Level 7
Hello.
I read the Asus Z690 Maximus Apex user manual. It says that:

The PD_12V_PWR connector provides additional power for your PCIe X16 slots. To
support 60W, please install the power cable to the 6-pin PCIe Graphics Card connector
(PD_12V_PWR) else only 27W will be supported.

How true is this information? I previously read that PCI-E allows up to 75 watts by default, and in this case, not only is it written that the default is 27 watts, but only 60 watts can be made as much as possible.

6 REPLIES 6

Murph_9000
Level 14
I could be wrong, but I think the 60W is for the USB-PD front panel header (and additionally to supplement PCIe slot power). That's what the same supplemental power for PD is on the Crosshair VIII Extreme. It may be different on the Z690 boards.

Hello.
Thanks for the answer, but it's not very clear.
The manual (the screen of which I have attached) clearly states that we are talking about additional power on PCI-E 16X, that is, to power the video card. And it is also clearly written that if this is not done, then the power supply will be only 27 watts.

Nate152
Hello,

Murph_9000 is correct.

The PD_12V_PWR connector is for the pcie slots and the USB-PD front panel header, the wattage is shared between the two.

If you're only using one graphics card and you're not using the USB-PD front panel header, it's not necessary to connect it.

bscool
Level 11
I have seen JJ talk about it in a video how it is for front USB quick charge.

Yes, the extra power connector is almost certainly for the front panel connector. You won't need it unless you are charging something like a laptop through type C USB on that front panel. The instructions could be better written. I had the same confusion on the Maximus Hero, until I read enough forums and websites to be 99.9% sure that's the case.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

There is no downside to hooking it up assuming you have a spare PCI-E 6-pin cable with your PSU.