cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 RAM DIMM slots not working on ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4

reddeath
Level 9
Hello,
I have just made a new PC build using ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 and 13600K with Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280.

After lots of boot issues and A/B testing I found that 2 RAM slots A1 and A2 (the first 2 from the left side) are not working and the PC will not boot if a RAM stick is plugged into any of these slots.

The sequence of LEDs is like so: shorter CPU, longer RAM, shorter CPU, longer RAM,... after few cycles only RAM LED is on and nothing else happens.

The 2 RAM slots on the right B1 and B2 are working fine and I have 2 sticks of RAM plugged into them.

The result is that I only have single channel enabled.

While trying to solve the problem, I updated to the latest bios 0703 (issues present since at least 0502), ME firmware, did CPU and RAM re-install countless times. With 2 sticks in B1 and B2 slots I started up Windows just fine and I ran some stability tests for few minutes. All seems fine.

But I would like to have A1 and A2 also working.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Also, please let me know if this is a hardware issue. Is it the motherboard or the CPU which needs to be RMA-ed? Or both?

Cheers,
Marek
36 REPLIES 36

reddeath
Level 9

Hi All,

Since I started this topic, I owe all the contributors an update on how my problem was resolved.

I had to buy a new motherboard, because the one with the RAM slot problem was damaged when I was mounting the cooler multiple times. The cooler had a bad design for secure mounting to the motherboard, which lead to scratching the surface of the motherboard and ASUS/Intel decided to put copper traces just under the mounting area. So the traces got scratched and presumably damaged. Motherboard retailer refused warranty.

The reason for mounting the cooler multiple times was that the cooler's pump was broken out of the box so PC was overheating right away, but I did not know that at the time, since cooler has no separate pump rpm senson, so I thought it was my wrong mounting that caused the problems. I got annoyed by this cooler and bought a different one that has better mounting design.

So overall, an expensive ride - one damaged motherboard that I had to replace and one cooler that I replaced with a different brand fearing it would break the new motherboard.

B1ack0p5
Level 8

Hi Markek

Nearly the same to me.

Same setup : ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 and 13600K with Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II but my RAM slots A1 and A2 are working. If I but a memory module (KF556C40BBK2-64) one DIMM socket B the system won´t boot.

I installed the CPU and the cooler only once and didn´t fasten the screws not to much.

I´ll go for an RMA so lets see.

Regards

René

Sorry to hear that. Let us know if that works.

bobinator_2
Level 7

that is interesting.  I have the same M/B.  When I pulled the memory out from a desktop that i received from ASUS, I found that two pins in slot b1 were bent back.  The builder of the system had "hot" wired a solution.  I was able to pop one of the pins back using a needle, but the other one will not move.

Does anyone have any advice on how to pop the pin back into place?

B1ack0p5
Level 8

The problem on my system was that the mounting screws for Artic AIO cooler destroy the connection to the memory header.

I posted some pictures here

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/intel-700-600-series/arctic-arctic-liquid-freezer-ii-z790-ram-channel-...

Dayira
Level 7

ASUS WIFI

DosBlade
Level 7

You know I got this board this month Feb 2024. The 1st one PCIE slot 1 my 4090 and trying Amd 570 would not boot. All 4 ram worked great. So I had to use the CPU graphics go in turn the X16 to X8X8 then worked great. From what I read I thought that was normal but I wanted to make sure so i swapped it for another. HAHA..oh what they set me was Strix z790-a gaming D5 board. It had a sticker saying D4 so.. I can see the mistake. Pfft sent that back and got the new one. Put all 4 (64) ram in.. nothing just solid orange or yellow.. no clue. Just on stick in A1.. nothing.. A2 nothing B1 B2 booted great. Hmm I have 4 other brands let me try those.. NOPE only B1 B2 OMG..  ar are you kidding me. 

Yeah updating the bios did nothing. Ooh what about the graphics card you ask? How odd booted right up.. no M2 just  like the 1st one but this one x16 worked great just OMG not all ram. So.. going to send it back get another MSI or Giga.. I SO WANT ASUS...but this is so bad. Oh I made a post here.. allot saw it NO ONE said a word. I mean.. if I can't come to ASUS forum and ask.. Reddit? Oh any one everyone wants to help. 

I wanted to add. I noticed a few saying "to tight" something like that yet.. oddly NO ONE came back saying "that was it". I will  galdly give it try now see what happens. Never in my life have I see this happen. The cooler .. you can only go so far the one I used on the z690, now 2 z790. 

Edit.. ok so I tried to see if the cooler was to tight but  frist took everything off no pins bent at all. And still A1 A2 nothing. So.. Yeah.. something is up with this board.. stay away is my best advice