cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 RAM DIMM slots not working on ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4

reddeath
Level 9
Hello,
I have just made a new PC build using ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 and 13600K with Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280.

After lots of boot issues and A/B testing I found that 2 RAM slots A1 and A2 (the first 2 from the left side) are not working and the PC will not boot if a RAM stick is plugged into any of these slots.

The sequence of LEDs is like so: shorter CPU, longer RAM, shorter CPU, longer RAM,... after few cycles only RAM LED is on and nothing else happens.

The 2 RAM slots on the right B1 and B2 are working fine and I have 2 sticks of RAM plugged into them.

The result is that I only have single channel enabled.

While trying to solve the problem, I updated to the latest bios 0703 (issues present since at least 0502), ME firmware, did CPU and RAM re-install countless times. With 2 sticks in B1 and B2 slots I started up Windows just fine and I ran some stability tests for few minutes. All seems fine.

But I would like to have A1 and A2 also working.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Also, please let me know if this is a hardware issue. Is it the motherboard or the CPU which needs to be RMA-ed? Or both?

Cheers,
Marek
36 REPLIES 36

JohnAb
Level 17
I might be missing something here (wouldn't be the first time) but if using 2 sticks, aren't they supposed to be plugged into slots A2 and B2? A single stick should go into A2. That's what the manual says...

Edit: So maybe I understand now. it seems that both left hand RAM slots (A1 & A2) are not working at all on these motherboards?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I might be missing something here (wouldn't be the first time) but if using 2 sticks, aren't they supposed to be plugged into slots A2 and B2? A single stick should go into A2. That's what the manual says...

Edit: So maybe I understand now. it seems that both left hand RAM slots (A1 & A2) are not working at all on these motherboards?

Your edit is correct. Both A1 and B1 (lefthand side) slots don't work now. Have tried all combinations possible.. Single stick in all slots, dual sticks different slots. Now limited to single channel in A2 and B2 only.

Not sure if my IMC has died on my 13900KF or if I had tightened my 420mm Arctic cooler a bit too much.

Going to local shop tomorrow to test CPU on another board. Would there be anything else I can do in the meantime? Have reseated cpu 3 times.

JohnAb
Level 17
I was going to suggest re-seating the CPU and overtightening is known to cause RAM problems sometimes. I agree that it could be the CPU. It could also be the motherboard of course. I don't have any suggestions for an easy fix, but I think you're doing the right things. Inconvenient, to say the least! Hope you work it out soon. If it is the motherboard and it's in warranty, I would get it changed in case it gets worse.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Got local PC shop to flash bios on one of my older z690 boards and dual channel works fine on this one. Thankfully it's not the CPU.

Have RMA'd my Asus board. See what happens.

JohnAb
Level 17
OK, good luck. Please provide an update when you get a replacement board...

Grzego
Level 7

I know it's kind of an old thread but I have similar issue. I have Z690-F and in my case slots B1/B2 are not working. The strange thing is, my PC worked mostly fine for 8 months (with ocasional bluescreens), then after adding two more RAM sticks (total of 4) I started having more issues than before. XMP was not working completely, had to use the default for RAM. But after next 2 months the B1/B2 slots just died. Suddenly the PC cannot post, couldn't even get into bios. RMA'ed my mobo, and after month of waiting, they supposedly "fix" it. Only for me to discover they actually "could not reproduce the issue" and send the mobo back to me... month of waiting for this. I setup everything to verify and it's still not working... First time having problems with ASUS mobo, but that was probably my last ASUS thing I ever bought.

Some update from my side. Fortunately the shop I bought my board in was able to reproduce the issue (funny that ASUS were not) and let me return it. Since then I bought a different board and everything works fine. Sad to see ASUS being such a joke when it comes to customer support and quality of products lately.

kutay-akyurek
Level 9

Anyone solved this issue? I'm having same trouble since i installed a new gpu on tuf z790-p wifi d4

piotrpg0819
Level 8

It's always been in this order. I don't know who told you that it has to work differently in two dice

ram-slot-stage.jpg

OlsterM
Level 7

Hi, seeing this thread in April, I have had the same issue with an MSI MPG Z790 EDGE wifi and all ram slots are working individually if I remember correctly. Right now it’s either in a1+a2 or b1+b2 and won’t boot in any dual channel configuration. When I was installing I thought there was some sign of bent pins but it seemed to be just the light, it was like 20 pins and it ended at one of the borders, it’s been roughly 2 months is it too late to RMA? I purchased it from overclockers if it helps. Running a pure rock 2 and I haven’t tried loosening it yet..