cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13900KS, Z790 Strix E-Gaming, only getting 32K on Cinebench R23?

RickSinGA
Level 11
Just built a new system primarily for MSFS 2020 and in stock format I am only seeing Cinebench R23 scores of around 32K and from what I gather I should be pushing 40K stock?

Rog Z790 Strix E-Gaming WiFi Bios 0816
Intel I9-13900KS
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6400 2x16GB
Asus Tuf RTX 4090 gaming Graphics
EK Quantum Velocity2 Waterblock w 2 60mm 420 Radiators (push/pull)
Thermaltake 1350w Gold PS

I can OC to 60/59/45 -0.075 Offset (using Intel XTU 2.0) and improve my score from 31K to low 32K but from everything I have been able to find I should be seeing at least 40,000 on the Cinebench R23 benchmark. Set the XMP to Tweaked in the BIOS, everything else was set to Optimized Defaults.

I assumed it was a bad CPU and B&H sent me a new one, marginally better on the SP scale from 103 to 112; which did improve the OC slightly but that isn't the problem from what I see.

I also had some DDR-5 6000 which saw my scores lessen slightly, so that is not it!

Also have the latest Intel ME drivers and firmware. Armoury Crate updated all drivers etc.

MB? Power Supply? etc?

Any ideas?
32 REPLIES 32

RickSinGA wrote:
All drivers and firmware are at the latest spec.

Max package power is showing 298.50W (5 minute run) at 60/56/43 XMP Tweaked; let BIOS Optimize; no other changes.

Fresh install of windows?

If it was me. And if it's not a fresh install, I would do that. You could have something running in the background that is killing your scores. I know iCue, and Synapse can hurt scores, but then again not as much as you're saying. At least in my experience.

I would also clear CMOS/reset to bios defaults. Do not enable XMP, or attempt to OC anything till you figure out what is going on. For Asus Multicore Enhancement don't use "Let Bios Optimize". Either enable all limits or disable them.

JohnAb
Level 17
LukeJoseph - good questions, you've sparked another possibility in my mind - if this is not a fresh install after a 13900KS upgrade then Windows might not have the correct drivers for your CPU. Other people have had issues after a CPU upgrade without a fresh install. Not speed necessarily, but a reinstall is worth a try before resorting to an RMA I think.

However, Rick did say this was a new build, so probably not that either to be fair. Can't rule out a processor upgrade though... Rick?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

USERMAC
Level 9
I have 13900ks and using intel enforced limits I am at around 41000 but I do believe that is because the pl1 & pl2 are at 320W as Intel added a new extreme power mode.
Your score looks to me like the CPU prosses is doing other stuff in the background which is messing with your score.
I know there is a bug with Nvidia driver which is causing Higher CPU usage from the NVIDIA Container which is around 10% and then there is Asus lighting service and when you have RGB on that also ads another 5% on the CPU process so having a 15% of the CPU being used at the same time as using R32 will mess with your score.

Maybe do selective start-up making sure no programs are booting with windows etc and if you have Nvidia card get the hot fix driver.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-driver-531-29-whql-now-available-fixes-high-cpu-usage...

I have to say, and at the expense of my partner's problem, that this thread has been very useful for me to learn a little more about how the i9-13900KS works. I have learned that without doing OC there are two cores that go to 6MHZ if the program where it is displayed uses Core 0, then it is 4 and 5, if the program uses Core 1 as start then it is 5 and 6. I have also I have learned that in MSFS2020 in VR mode, these cores only use 5600MHZ, with which I have learned that with this processor it is superfluous with FS2020, I have not tried it in 2D. I would like if you find the solution to post it to clear up doubts. Thank you

USERMAC wrote:
I have 13900ks and using intel enforced limits I am at around 41000 but I do believe that is because the pl1 & pl2 are at 320W as Intel added a new extreme power mode.
Your score looks to me like the CPU prosses is doing other stuff in the background which is messing with your score.
I know there is a bug with Nvidia driver which is causing Higher CPU usage from the NVIDIA Container which is around 10% and then there is Asus lighting service and when you have RGB on that also ads another 5% on the CPU process so having a 15% of the CPU being used at the same time as using R32 will mess with your score.

Maybe do selective start-up making sure no programs are booting with windows etc and if you have Nvidia card get the hot fix driver.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-driver-531-29-whql-now-available-fixes-high-cpu-usage...

I did not see that nVidia update, thanks, loaded it now and did a selective startup, no appreciable changes.

Shinchan0125
Level 10
i cant believe that 13900KS is only getting 41000. My 13900K using AI optimize is getting 40670. I didnt do anything crazy in bios. Just AI optimize in both P and E. LL4, XMP Tweaked, 7200MHz.. with 50 Cache. TVB Boost until Target and TVB + 10. But i do have delid and Contact frame. Temp is around 72C (274Watt)
I can get to R23 around 43000 if i oc to 58X all P Core, and 46X All Ecore. But heat is bump up to 92C, watt goes up to ~340w.

Instead of using Intel Tuning.. maybe give AI optimize a try...

RickSinGA
Level 11
Fresh Install of Win---ugh; as a last last last resort! maybe, lol.
I will look into AI Optimize.

I have tried selective reboots and using Task Manager to kill those programs and others i could identify, not change. Synapse was a bogger to kill!

Yep, cleared CMOS a few times and have tried everything except, but I will now, not letting AI Optimize as you suggest and no XMP selection.

Will have a replacement MB tomorrow, will see what happens there.

No de-lid here but I do have the contact frame. From what I gather from other threads I am not really having any thermal problems different from others, just cannot get the performance.

You really should try a fresh install of windows prior to just keep swapping parts. Although good call on swapping your CPU regardless, your first one I think you said was a 103 SP? That shouldn't even be offered in a KS lol.

akgis_
Level 10
The SP ratings arent comparable from KS to K, nevertheless

To the OP be sure your Windows is configured to see all threads I went from a 12900k to a 13900ks and for some reason windows was only seeign 24 cores.

For some reason Windows had locked 24 cores at boot, to fix write "msconfig" on startup then Boot tab >Advanced Options > Remove the Number of Processors there or set all 32(threads)

akgis_ wrote:
The SP ratings arent comparable from KS to K, nevertheless

To the OP be sure your Windows is configured to see all threads I went from a 12900k to a 13900ks and for some reason windows was only seeign 24 cores.

For some reason Windows had locked 24 cores at boot, to fix write "msconfig" on startup then Boot tab >Advanced Options > Remove the Number of Processors there or set all 32(threads)

Not sure how you figured this out or maybe you are a genius akgis, but THANK YOU!

That was EXACTLY what my problem was!!

CR23=40184 and I-XTU Benchmark=13489. Sounds low but I will take it.

Now to return the new MB B&H sent me and is supposed to be delivered today.

Thanks to all responders.

Rick S.