cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13900KS, Z790 Strix E-Gaming, only getting 32K on Cinebench R23?

RickSinGA
Level 11
Just built a new system primarily for MSFS 2020 and in stock format I am only seeing Cinebench R23 scores of around 32K and from what I gather I should be pushing 40K stock?

Rog Z790 Strix E-Gaming WiFi Bios 0816
Intel I9-13900KS
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6400 2x16GB
Asus Tuf RTX 4090 gaming Graphics
EK Quantum Velocity2 Waterblock w 2 60mm 420 Radiators (push/pull)
Thermaltake 1350w Gold PS

I can OC to 60/59/45 -0.075 Offset (using Intel XTU 2.0) and improve my score from 31K to low 32K but from everything I have been able to find I should be seeing at least 40,000 on the Cinebench R23 benchmark. Set the XMP to Tweaked in the BIOS, everything else was set to Optimized Defaults.

I assumed it was a bad CPU and B&H sent me a new one, marginally better on the SP scale from 103 to 112; which did improve the OC slightly but that isn't the problem from what I see.

I also had some DDR-5 6000 which saw my scores lessen slightly, so that is not it!

Also have the latest Intel ME drivers and firmware. Armoury Crate updated all drivers etc.

MB? Power Supply? etc?

Any ideas?
32 REPLIES 32

Silent_Scone@ROG wrote:
Hi,

R23 is a high current workload, have you checked your core/package temps (HWinfo)? It sounds a though you may have thermal throttling.

Using AI OC, 56x/43x/uncore 47
8200MT/s C36

These settings net me roughly 40,700.

Example: https://i.imgur.com/278X1Sx.png

What's chances I have a bad motherboard?

Yes, I had posted it, I have made two Benmarchs, the first was 13471 and the other 13015.
I would go to the Bios, do F5 and return to the original parameters, once this is done, enable the XMP1 profile and run the Intel Program again and see the resulting value and thus compare.

Dear, I have downloaded the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and although I have tried to do some OC, the best configuration for scores of the program itself as well as for Cinebench curiously is the one that I posted, in Bios F5 and the XMP1 profile. It's like the best scores I got. Also with this, cores 4 and 5 work at 6MHZ and the rest at 5600 Mhz and we who use it for FS2020 is very good for us since the Sim uses those cores mainly, so I'm going to leave it like that and forget about it. to do OC On the other hand it is the most stable configuration to work with the PC in other areas.
All the best.

Matrixx wrote:
Dear, I have downloaded the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and although I have tried to do some OC, the best configuration for scores of the program itself as well as for Cinebench curiously is the one that I posted, in Bios F5 and the XMP1 profile. It's like the best scores I got. Also with this, cores 4 and 5 work at 6MHZ and the rest at 5600 Mhz and we who use it for FS2020 is very good for us since the Sim uses those cores mainly, so I'm going to leave it like that and forget about it. to do OC On the other hand it is the most stable configuration to work with the PC in other areas.
All the best.

Thanks Matrixx, my best XTU benchmark is around 10500 using optimized defaults, XMP Tweaked and let BIOS optimize. I found very little difference in the 3 XMP choices.

I have changed CPU's; Memory and Power Supply's including cables. I think my thermals are in line but I did reseat the contact frame and CPU for grins and giggles. I have also removed the 4090 and ran off the IGPU. Still the same terrible scores from CR23 and XTU Benchmark?

Although I can find nothing that points to the motherboard, it has to be the culprit from my vantage point.

Does anyone see something I am missing ?

Thanks for any input.
Rick S.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Same settings here except I used XTU to apply a -0.100 offset, marginally different from no offset.

JohnAb
Level 17
Hi Rick, I was looking at the images you posted during testing last night and I was struggling to identify any obvious issue. The thought that keeps coming back to me is that there might be an issue with your cooling solution. I have no evidence to support that view to be honest, but I was wondering if there could be an airlock in your water cooling loop. This is certainly possible depending on how the tubes run. Ideally it's good to have the radiator above the CPU and the tubes exiting the cooling block to the side or upwards. I was also thinking that perhaps the cooling block was not in good contact, but you just said that has been remounted. You could even have a faulty water pump or it's running slow.

So, my idea could be totally incorrect (and probably is), but I wanted to suggest it. Could you pick up and rotate the case to remove any potential air pockets that could be in your plumbing. Trapped air could certainly reduce water flow dramatically and you did say that undervolting was needed to eliminate thermal throttling.

Other than that, sorry that I don't understand what the problem might be. A faulty CPU and/or motherboard would probably show in other ways I think, like freezes, crashes and bluescreens, rather than just 'slow' performance. Anyway, I hope you get somewhere with it all soon and that my suggestion might be helpful.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Thanks for the response John.

You never know but I don't think I have a cooling issue, no air in the system and it is a tried and true dual 60mmx360 radiators in a 12 fan push/pull that I have used for a few years. I did service it with this new build and added the EK Velocity2 waterblock. 1 rad on top and one on the bottom side of the case. I have checked the pump and it is good to go. I really don't have a thermal problem from what I gather unless I try to overclock without adjusting the offset it will thermal throttle at times depending on the OC. When I do OC, I see no appreciable increase in the benchmark scores, but I do see the associated heat with the OC.

I agree that there should be other obvious factors to suggest the SLOW problem. I tried swapping out the CPU, Memory, Power Supply & cables and the GPU. The performance never changes.

At first I just thought my system did not like CR23 but it also does not like I-XTU Benchmark according to other user scores with similar systems?

At this point I need to just learn to live with it or RMA it before the window closes.

Rick S.

JohnAb
Level 17
Yes, no problem at all, only raised it as a possibility in the spirit of being helpful. I can't think of anything else, sorry.

On a positive note though, your R23 score is still 20% better than mine, so that might make you feel a bit better 🙂
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Is this a fresh install of windows? All drivers up to date?

If you already did and I missed it, apologize. But can you post a screenshot (or just say) what type of package power you're pulling during a CB23 run?

LukeJoseph wrote:
Is this a fresh install of windows? All drivers up to date?

If you already did and I missed it, apologize. But can you post a screenshot (or just say) what type of package power you're pulling during a CB23 run?

All drivers and firmware are at the latest spec.

Max package power is showing 298.50W (5 minute run) at 60/56/43 XMP Tweaked; let BIOS Optimize; no other changes.