cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12900KS Power limit Throttling at Stock intel setting's ?

USERMAC
Level 9
What Max Core Frequency should the 12900KS be doing out of the box and should it be Power Limit Throttling at the Intel stock settings with no motherboard enhancements turned on ?

I am using a custom loop system so I would like to think my cooling solution is good enough for the job.

14 REPLIES 14

hdtvnut
Level 7
See my other posts. I have a Hero, custom loop and a KS rated at 94 (P 102). Cooler rating 171. I tried to make the IHS/cold plate on the V2 contact as good as possible, but on 1304 default, I am getting 93C peaks on 1-5 runs of R23. Plan to test der8auer's ILM frame.

XTU 2 shows the current/EDP limit as red; I think that is from the BIOS.

If I use 1403, benchmarks hit 100C peaks on 1-4 cores.

I ordered this board from NE right after they got a shipment which supposedly was correctly assembled, and I verified that it was in the right serial number range. And verified the cap was in right. But still I wonder.

Do you get power limit throttling when you run XTU Stress test if you use your motherboards default settings with MCU disabled ?

My chip is really bad and has a total SP 84 and P 90, 70 on the E core

I am using a custom loop as well and with an EK Velocity V2 water block which is not very easy to mount. I am going to try one more time reseating the the block have done this about four times now very frustrating.

I don't think it is right the chip power limit throttling at stock setting should be happening something is not right.

hdtvnut
Level 7
Your chip has lower ratings than the one that Intel sent me (90, P98 E74), in exchange for mine (94, P102, E78). The exchange was recommended by an Intel tech who got online and tested my system. It needed more voltage and ran hotter for the same load. I sent it back. Can you still exchange?

IIRC, the XTU Current/EDP is red because 1304 and 1403 turn off limiting on a KS. Not sure about that.

Mine is an OEM chip so I have to argue that the chip is faulty with the shop which is called Novatech and they are a bunch of cowboys. I should never of purchased it from them and purchased a retail one instead.
They will run there test and just say the chip is fine unless I can argue that it is not running within spec hence the question what should this chip be doing at stock settings because I don't think this chip is working at it rated spec but I have to prove this to get it replaced.

The chip at stock intel settings is just power throttling and pulling the clock speeds all the way down and not maintaining the 240 power limit.
I can not enable MCU because the chip gets too hot blue screens.

I used to have a 12900K never seen that behave the way this one does. At stock settings I could keep that at 4.9 all cores and that did not have a great SP rating which was 86 overall but that at least did not power throttle etc.

hdtvnut wrote:
Your chip has lower ratings than the one that Intel sent me (90, P98 E74), in exchange for mine (94, P102, E78). The exchange was recommended by an Intel tech who got online and tested my system. It needed more voltage and ran hotter for the same load. I sent it back. Can you still exchange?

IIRC, the XTU Current/EDP is red because 1304 and 1403 turn off limiting on a KS. Not sure about that.

My setup should be able to keep these temps in control but it cant. I would have an extremely ruff time if I was to cool it with air cooling or even an AIO.

USERMAC wrote:

My setup should be able to keep these temps in control but it cant. I would have an extremely ruff time if I was to cool it with air cooling or even an AIO.

Is that two rads and a CPU as well as a GPU in the same loop? Took me 4 rads with 2 of them push pull and all extreme rads too to tame two GPUs and a 10980XE Ocd to 4.8 Ghz all cores Im actually pulling two of those rads and installing a MORA3 with 8x 200mm fans.

USERMAC
Level 9

hdtvnut
Level 7
check out: "https://igorslab.de/en/intels-finest-selection-core-i9-12900ks-binning-and-oc-comparison-with-12900...

Another bin at youtube: "More 12th gen silicon quality data. 12900ks, 12900k and 12900kf"

hdtvnut
Level 7
I think Intel is doing a poor job after cherry-picking the early production in choosing which chips to set and label as KS. They want to sell them at extra price but probably don't have enough yield. SP's < 90 may be able to hit peaks of 5.5, but unable to run multicore at 5.2/4 without thermal throttling. Your cooling, better than mine, should meet or surpass any realistic expectations.

Your chip seems to have among the lowest bin; maybe you can use the binning data above to argue with your supplier and/or Intel.