cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12900K safe voltages?

techanalyst
Level 7
What are the safe voltage for the 12900k? Bios I set max 1.375 ok or is that going to kill the CPU in 3 months
34 REPLIES 34

Adrian1983
Level 11
I have been playing around with my 12900K and Gaming whatever I set in Additional Turbo Voltage the resulting CPU Core voltage is always higher when I go back into the BIOS to check so I set a negative offset which is fine and it lowers the voltage the only issue I am having now is I am trying to just get 5ghz all core which is stable the issue I am having is when Windows is loaded up the voltage is ok around stock 1.2v while things are loading up but it keeps spiking to around 1.39V? I noticed in HwInfo some core vids keep spiking over 1.4v why is it doing this?

I even went to the offending cores in the bios and set a VF negative offset for those and that made no difference?

Using Trained SVID.

Adrian1983 wrote:
I have been playing around with my 12900K and Gaming whatever I set in Additional Turbo Voltage the resulting CPU Core voltage is always higher when I go back into the BIOS to check so I set a negative offset which is fine and it lowers the voltage the only issue I am having now is I am trying to just get 5ghz all core which is stable the issue I am having is when Windows is loaded up the voltage is ok around stock 1.2v while things are loading up but it keeps spiking to around 1.39V? I noticed in HwInfo some core vids keep spiking over 1.4v why is it doing this?

I even went to the offending cores in the bios and set a VF negative offset for those and that made no difference?

Using Trained SVID.

Hello, where are you reading the voltage value from in HWinfo? The VID is the value the CPU believes it is receiving. The vcore reading from within the motherboard sensor readout will be the most accurate reading in HWinfo. This is also confirmed by using the enclosed ROG Voltician (USB Osc) with the Apex.

Adaptive will be higher without an offset applied if the value is below the stock VID for a given ratio (without the use of an offset, however, this isn't true adaptive as the offset is applied to the entire VID stack)

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello, where are you reading the voltage value from in HWinfo? The VID is the value the CPU believes it is receiving. The vcore reading from within the motherboard sensor readout will be the most accurate reading in HWinfo. This is also confirmed by using the enclosed ROG Voltician (USB Osc) with the Apex.

Adaptive will be higher without an offset applied if the value is below the stock VID for a given ratio (without the use of an offset, however, this isn't true adaptive as the offset is applied to the entire VID stack)

Much appreciated explanation!

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
The VID is the value the CPU believes it is receiving.

I knew, 12th gen is finally self aware!! 😄

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:

Hi SilentScone,

Many thanks for the info,
I found out in the end what the spikes over 1.4v was it was because I did not have TVB enabled weirdly.

I set 1.3V in Additional Turbo Voltage
Adpative Voltage with a Negative offset of 0.03000v
My CPU Load Line is still at stock level 3
SVID I have it set to Typical Scenario and not it does not go over 1.3 not even the requested SVID for the cores in Hwinfo

I know what you mean about the cores requested voltage and actual voltage is different but yes the requested was 1.4v and also the V Core reading in the Asus section was occasionally reading 1.4v also but now it's all good thank you!

techanalyst
Level 7
So what value do I enter there or what settings as a whole when using adaptive?

techanalyst wrote:
So what value do I enter there or what settings as a whole when using adaptive?

However much you need for stability. If it's lucky enough to be below the stock VID, use the negative offset function to drop the voltage by the desired amount.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
However much you need for stability. If it's lucky enough to be below the stock VID, use the negative offset function to drop the voltage by the desired amount.

I mean these three settings

+ or -

the first power option goes from 0.25 to 1.92 then the second is another offset

Im looking to not burn out the CPU and I've never used the adaptive settings so i have zero understanding

At manual, I set 1.375 and walk away, what settings match up best or does a whatever to 1.4 or something?

MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

techanalyst wrote:
I mean these three settings

+ or -

the first power option goes from 0.25 to 1.92 then the second is another offset

Im looking to not burn out the CPU and I've never used the adaptive settings so i have zero understanding

At manual, I set 1.375 and walk away, what settings match up best or does a whatever to 1.4 or something?

Enter 1.375 in the Additional Turbo Voltage field, don't add any offset.

Hopper64
Level 15
I left mine AI optimized and applied a negative offset of 100mV. Change the offset sign to -. Beware every chip is unique and may require different values for stability.

91050*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro