cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1101 BIOS Update

Peconare
Level 9
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX BIOS 1101
Include the SLI key to support NVIDIA NV Link technology to the compatible graphics cards.

Is anyone brave enough to see if it is stable?
16 REPLIES 16

Braegnok wrote:
Challenge excepted, system stable. :cool:

Looks good, but how does it show that your system is "stable"?

Chainbold wrote:
Looks good, but how does it show that your system is "stable"?

Hello Chainbold,

The screenshot was intended to show System Summary, BIOS Version, Memory and Memory Timings.

Having a stable system after updating BIOS is a personal determination based on your system hardware behavior after the update.

I updated from BIOS 0046 to 1101, and have had no stability issues with my system running XMP 1 and CPU in default settings.

However adjusting Memory timings, voltages requires tests after adjustments are made to confirm stability. There are lots of tests, and everyone seems to think certain tests are better than others.

Personally after adjusting memory timings/voltages I will run the memory test from the BIOS before booting into Windows, than I run cb r23 30 minute stability test, Karu memory test at least 30 minutes. For me personally if I have no errors after those tests generally my system is stable.

But daily usage and or gaming is also needed to confirm stability,.. so it does take lots of time perhaps days to confirm stability after updating BIOS or overclocking your system/hardware,.. YMMV depending on your CPU IMC, motherboard, hardware. 🙂

1202 BIOS is now listed as current update on Asus Support page for Z690 Apex: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-apex-model/helpdesk_bios

Braegnok wrote:

Personally after adjusting memory timings/voltages I will run the memory test from the BIOS before booting into Windows, than I run cb r23 30 minute stability test, Karu memory test at least 30 minutes. For me personally if I have no errors after those tests generally my system is stable.

I see. Thanks. This should do it for stability.

Chainbold wrote:
I see. Thanks. This should do it for stability.

Yes, for myself I feel strongly that it is important when adjusting Memory, you do not boot directly into Windows. For years I have been using a flash drive with MemTest on it, and would boot from BIOS directly into flash drive than test and if passed, than boot into Windows.

Now Asus has Memory test in BIOS so it is vary simple to use.

After adjusting memory if your vary unstable you risk corrupting Windows boot log, or permanatly damaging your OS,.. thus preventing you from booting into Windows even with default settings.

BSOD when booting from BIOS into OS with unstable memory will not happen if you first run memory test from BIOS, and correct all errors so that you PASS TEST before booting into your OS will save you lot's of issues down the road.

Than pick a few programs that test/stress memory, and CPU and you should be good to go. Lot's of folks can pass hours of memory tests, stress tests than bsod or freeze after just a few min of gaming,.. so it's hard to say which tests are best or if indeed you are 100% system stable after passing without errors.

The best advice I can give is to never boot directly into your OS after adjusting your memory, and nothing is ever 100% stable 24/7 when overclocked.

Braegnok wrote:
Yes, for myself I feel strongly that it is important when adjusting Memory, you do not boot directly into Windows. For years I have been using a flash drive with MemTest on it, and would boot from BIOS directly into flash drive than test and if passed, than boot into Windows.

Now Asus has Memory test in BIOS so it is vary simple to use.

After adjusting memory if your vary unstable you risk corrupting Windows boot log, or permanatly damaging your OS,.. thus preventing you from booting into Windows even with default settings.

BSOD when booting from BIOS into OS with unstable memory will not happen if you first run memory test from BIOS, and correct all errors so that you PASS TEST before booting into your OS will save you lot's of issues down the road.

Than pick a few programs that test/stress memory, and CPU and you should be good to go. Lot's of folks can pass hours of memory tests, stress tests than bsod or freeze after just a few min of gaming,.. so it's hard to say which tests are best or if indeed you are 100% system stable after passing without errors.

The best advice I can give is to never boot directly into your OS after adjusting your memory, and nothing is ever 100% stable 24/7 when overclocked.

Great advice Braegnok....I really like the built in Memtest on BIOS and use it religiously now prior to booting into Windows!

mc_suly_514
Level 7
updated the bios this morning on my z690 apex
so far played a few hours of bf2042 since that was giving me the most memory ram crashes.
so far nothing ,but too early to tell.
it has always passed memtest, and those memory tests since day1. it just always crashed when it was used in different applications.
earlier bios i had failure without even running oc nor xmp lol

my g Ram: G.SkiLL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 @ 1.30v 36-36-36-76 (F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK)

i have a sealed corsair kit (DR5 6200 CMT32GX5M2X6200C36) sitting new just incase this g.skill is "not a good batch and will do a rma"

EDIT: been stable so far in gaming and other applications. maybe this the one or not lol

guidecca
Level 7

I have an old Velocity Desktop with a P5N-D motherboard and BIOS 1101:

P5N-D BIOS 1101
Version 1101
628.64 KB
2009/06/03
It does not have Flashback or ez Flash that I am aware of.  Can this BIOS be upgraded?