cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1003 default doesn't recognize the 2 SSD on Z690 hyper M.2 card

are2009
Level 8
BIOS can recognize the 2 SSD on hyper M.2 card,
But when boot into windows 11, only one was recognized by OS.

The previous BIOS doesn't has this issue. Also I found other guys in overclock.net reported the same issue.

And proably it may related to PCH ASPM AUTO default settings.

If marked it as DISABLED, both BIOS and windows 11 can see the 2 SSD on hyper m.2 card.

This is a basic function you are selling, I supposed that asus bios development team didn't test what they are delivered.

SO we are heros to test ?!

Note, all things are up to date and I know these settings.

Disappointed.
10 REPLIES 10

RogScott
Level 12
are2009 wrote:
BIOS can recognize the 2 SSD on hyper M.2 card,
But when boot into windows 11, only one was recognized by OS.

The previous BIOS doesn't has this issue. Also I found other guys in overclock.net reported the same issue.

And proably it may related to PCH ASPM AUTO default settings. If marked it as DISABLED, both BIOS and windows 11 can see the 2 SSD on hyper m.2 card.

I am surprised there is not more discussion of this; perhaps not many people are using Hyper M.2 card. But I have the same issue as you describe on my Z690-E, so it isn't just the Hero.

I started with 1 nvme in Motherboard M.2_2 and 2 nvme on Hyper card. On a cold boot (i.e., start from power-off, not entering bios, just letting system boot to windows): Both drives in Hyper card were recognized. But on a warm boot (i.e., either restarting from Windows11, or starting from power-off but entering bios before proceeding to Windows11): The 2nd drive on Hyper card was missing from Windows11. This was 100% repeatable: Cold boot, both drives in Hyper were seen; but on Warm boot, the 2nd drive always missing.

I swapped the drives in the Hyper card, and still the second slot failed. Finally moved the second drive to motherboard M.2_3, where it' works consistently. But it sucks to have that big HyperM.2 card in there with just (1) nvme drive in it.

I did not try setting PCH ASPM to DISABLE. Are you saying both drives in Hyper card are then recognized? Was there any other problem created by setting PCH ASPM to DISABLE?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
I am surprised there is not more discussion of this; perhaps not many people are using Hyper M.2 card. But I have the same issue as you describe on my Z690-E, so it isn't just the Hero.

I started with 1 nvme in Motherboard M.2_2 and 2 nvme on Hyper card. On a cold boot (i.e., start from power-off, not entering bios, just letting system boot to windows): Both drives in Hyper card were recognized. But on a warm boot (i.e., either restarting from Windows11, or starting from power-off but entering bios before proceeding to Windows11): The 2nd drive on Hyper card was missing from Windows11. This was 100% repeatable: Cold boot, both drives in Hyper were seen; but on Warm boot, the 2nd drive always missing.

I swapped the drives in the Hyper card, and still the second slot failed. Finally moved the second drive to motherboard M.2_3, where it' works consistently. But it sucks to have that big HyperM.2 card in there with just (1) nvme drive in it.

I did not try setting PCH ASPM to DISABLE. Are you saying both drives in Hyper card are then recognized? Was there any other problem created by setting PCH ASPM to DISABLE?

I surposed that you are using the latest 1304 bios from ROG support site.
The workaround PCH ASMP-> DISABLED is for 1003 bios.

I have the exactly the same issue as you decribed with 1304 bios. No workaround found or get from rog support.
And I was thinking this maybe a fault design.
File a ticket to rog support or just replace it.

Yeah I've had this problem and it's always there after each BIOS update.
I wondered if it was just me.

are2009 wrote:
I surposed that you are using the latest 1304 bios from ROG support site.
The workaround PCH ASMP-> DISABLED is for 1003 bios.

I have the exactly the same issue as you decribed with 1304 bios. No workaround found or get from rog support.
And I was thinking this maybe a fault design.
File a ticket to rog support or just replace it.

Built system with 1003, so that’s where I initially saw the problem and ended up moving HyperM.2_2 to M.2_3. Â*Have since upgraded to 1304, but sadly no improvement. Â*I sure hope it’s a bios problem that eventually gets solved rather than a hardware design problem that we are stuck with. Â*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

With BIOS V 1304 Had the same problem, Windows would only recognise one SSD. Looking at posted from others with BIOS V 1303 I found and fixed the problem. BIOS V 1304 With Onboard Device Configuration/M.2-3 Configurations set to PCIE. & PCIEX16 (G4) Mode set to Dual M.2 SSD I still had the problem so I changed ASM1061 Configuration/ASPM Support to Disabled and problem fixed. Both drives were recognised in BIOS and in Windows. Hope this helps

Just a follow-up, Bios 1403 appears to have resolved this for me.

I had issues under 1003 and 1304, and had moved the drive from HyperM.2_2 to motherboard M.2_3 as a workaround (leaving HyperM.2_2 empty). Today, I moved the drive back into HyperM.2_2 and retested under 1403. The drive in HyperM.2_2 is now consistently detected in bios and Windows 11.

RL
Level 7

In fact the solution is very simple. the manual of ASUS z690 E- wifi motherboard says that only one PCI slot can take 2 x SSD m.2, i.e. the one on the bottom (far side form CPU).  you just need to use that slot and then follow what the manual say go to the bios to set that pci-slot to take 2 SSD. I did it and then instantly work. so just read your manual to find the section for setting up a hyper m.2 card! good luck

I have my Hyper M.2 card in slot 3 (Z690 Formula) and have it set to x4/x4 in the BIOS for that PCIe slot, and it won't recognize my second SSD in the BIOS or Win 11.

6665617269737468656D696E646B696C6C6572

RL_0-1685801309271.png

RL_1-1685801399315.pngRL_2-1685801440256.png

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_MAXIMUS_Z690_FORMULA/E21832_ROG_MAXIMUS_Z690_FORMU...

Just checked the user manuel of Z690 Formula. It is the sameas my Z690 E Gaming. If you want to use 2 m.2 then you can only install the hyper card in the slot 3,  PCIEX16(G4), i.e. the bottom one next to the internal baterry.