cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1003 BIOS update bricked my Z690-F

cristi80
Level 7
Hi,
I am looking for some help. Since yesterday I can not use my PC.
It has been working fine (0811 bios) since Dec, just few BSOD during one game.
Yesterday I installed 1003 using the BIOS Utility. But now it doesn't boot any more. Tried reflashing using the FlashBack button (BIOS on USB) . It seems to flash the BIOS fine, but same thing, monitors are not receiving any signal. Tried flashing back 0811 using FlashBack. But same, no signal after turning on.
Q-LED is light yellow (DRAM)
So, I took both RAM sticks out, GPU, took the CMOS battery out, left it few minutes, put everything back in, but same problem. Tried again flashing to 0803 version, it doesn't help.
Q-LED yellow stays on.

Core I9 12900K
ASUS Z690-F Gaming WIFI Mobo
G.Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 RAM(2X16GB)
RTX 3080Ti
ASUS ROG STRIX 1000 watt PSU

Any recommendation on how to get back to 0811 version or how to get it working with any version?
Edit: I have also tried to Clear CMOS using the button, with pc unplugged. Same issue. No signal to monitors.
6 REPLIES 6

Chainbold
Level 11
Very sorry to hear this.

This is clearly the point. Based on numerous reports on this and other forums, it seems the Z690-F has an issue with the memory sockets, sometimes not acknowledging modules. Seems to be random, but indicating something not right with the circuitry of this board. Apparently, 1003 made some memory related changes. From other user reports, and my onw experience, the A2 + B2 channel combination is sometimes troublesome. Have you tried booting with 1 module only in "B" or only in "A" channel? In my case, only the "B" channels were working, until I changed the board by RMA.

100% for sure, I will not touch any BIOS update for my Z690-F (I am on 811), unless it is confirmed to be safe and stable by a good number of other owners.

In my case the update to 1003 went fine with the same MB but different CPU and RAM

Chainbold wrote:
Very sorry to hear this.

This is clearly the point. Based on numerous reports on this and other forums, it seems the Z690-F has an issue with the memory sockets, sometimes not acknowledging modules. Seems to be random, but indicating something not right with the circuitry of this board. Apparently, 1003 made some memory related changes.

Thank you so much for replying, I was not aware of this issue.
I have tried the 1 DIMM in every slot, but the yellow Q-LED stays on. Nothing works.
This BIOS update actually bricked my board, this is so unexpected from such high-quality product.
So absolutely do not update BIOS for many months until this product somehow gets it's s..t together.

cristi80 wrote:
Thank you so much for replying, I was not aware of this issue.
I have tried the 1 DIMM in every slot, but the yellow Q-LED stays on. Nothing works.
This BIOS update actually bricked my board, this is so unexpected from such high-quality product.
So absolutely do not update BIOS for many months until this product somehow gets it's s..t together.

Again, very sorry to hear this. It is extremally frustrating when such an expensive system gets bricked. That's a brand new board. It should be covered by warranty.

1003 broke the Steelseries DAC on my PC, where DAC will disconnect/shut off when both Discord & a game try to access the DAC at the same time. Went back to 0811 and issue is resolved. I was having strange crash issues with 0702, and 0811 fixing the DDR5 stability issue as well as getting better OC performance. So I was eager to install the newest update, but it broke my system instead. I'm happy with 0811.

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E
12900K @5.5GHz(3cores)
Corsair Dominator DDR5-5200 2x16GB CL38
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra

luigimita82
Level 7
cristi80 wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for some help. Since yesterday I can not use my PC.
It has been working fine (0811 bios) since Dec, just few BSOD during one game.
Yesterday I installed 1003 using the BIOS Utility. But now it doesn't boot any more. Tried reflashing using the FlashBack button (BIOS on USB) . It seems to flash the BIOS fine, but same thing, monitors are not receiving any signal. Tried flashing back 0811 using FlashBack. But same, no signal after turning on.
So, I took both RAM sticks out, GPU, took the CMOS battery out, left it few minutes, put everything back in, but same problem. Tried again flashing to 0803 version, it doesn't help.
Q-LED yellow stays on.

Core I9 12900K
ASUS Z690-F Gaming WIFI Mobo
G.Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 RAM(2X16GB)
RTX 3080Ti
ASUS ROG STRIX 1000 watt PSU

Any recommendation on how to get back to 0811 version or how to get it working with any version?
Edit: I have also tried to Clear CMOS using the button, with pc unplugged. Same issue. No signal to monitors.

have you tried with asus flash back?