cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-I Chipset & M.2 SSD Temps Quite High

Pripyat519
Level 7
Having trouble with high Z590 chipset and m.2 UEFI SSD temperatures?
My solution for Z590-I MB.
First the layout with the chipset and two m.2 UEFI SSDs stacked right next to the GPU PCI-E slot.
Result: Air starved for cooling.
I had temperatures pushing 80 deg C on the m.2 SSDs and over that on the chipset.
I was using a Noctua NH-U12S cooler in a Lian Li TU150 case with Noctua 120 mm case fans front and rear.
Although chipset temps are in spec (apparently up to 100 or 110 deg C I think I've seen comments to this)
and Samsung Magician seems to flag when m.2 SSDs exceed 80 deg C, I was not comfortable with these temps.
I tried the Noctua NH-C14S horizontal cooler, it was a beast to work around in the Lian Li TU150 and didn't seem to help the temperatures much if at all.
I then ordered the Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 and be quiet! Shadow Rock Tf2. The Shadow Rock Tf2 fit on the Z590-I MB
but then the motherboard would not fit into chassis as the heat pipe ends hit the side of the Silverstone SFX-L power supply.
And the NH-L12 Ghost was obstructed by the top edge (cpu side) of the rear I/O shield of the Z590-I MB.
The NH-L12 was attractive since it has a 90? mm fan between the cpu and the radiator fins so air is highly directed down onto the CPU and sideways to the chipset and the m.2 SSDs. For extra air, I put another downward directing 120 mm fan on top of the radiator.
OK, creative time and risk the MB warranty. The obstruction seemed small so with a small grinding wheel I put four grooves in the obstructing edge for the heat pipes to clear enough for the heat sink to fit on the cpu correctly.
Bottom line, Chipset temperatures don't get over 80 deg. C and the m.2 SSDs run around 54-56 deg C when gaming (Far Cry 6). GPU is an RTX 3080 Ti and PS rated at 800W.
Even though an AIO cooler might be tried with good case fans, a front mounted AIO obstructs a SATA SSD mount.

So I am happy with the results, basically a 20 deg C. drop in m.2 SSD temps and 15 or so for the chipset.

As a side note, I also have a Z590-I in a NZXT H1 case that does not have the high temp problems with the chipset and m.2 SSDs. It's AIO cooler radiator and 140? mm fan lay right down on top of the MB and a cable extension removes the GPU away from the MB allowing more air circulation around the Chipset and m.2 SSDs.
0 REPLIES 0