cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-F Sound Issues - Optical Cable

pmlfrew
Level 8
Hi,

Recently purchased a ROG Strix Z590-F motherboard but I am having issues with the sound. I have my amp connected to the computer via an optical cable. Randomly however the sound will switch to a hissing crackling sound and the only way I can get it to work again is by disabling the "Realtek Digital Output" and re-enabling it only for the same issue to happen again. The cable is fine as it worked fine in another computer attached to the same amp. This happens with all sound sources as far as I can tell, so games you tube etc... My sound drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. This has become extremely annoying.

Thanks

Paul
28 REPLIES 28

imacken wrote:
So, after an exchange of 'update your drivers' (seems to be tech support's answer to everything!) ASUS have told me to RMA the board.

I have just replaced my Z490 board with this one as I had to RMA it because of faulty MEI chip, so there is no way I am going to go through all that again.

It's back to my Sound Blaster Z where I have better quality sound and DD.

Oh well, so much for trying to save on a PCIe slot!

I never liked onboard sound, on any motherboard. Stick to the Sound Blaster Z, i love that sound card for 2.1 speakers.
I have the same setup owning a Z590 Hero and a Sound Blaster Z. Use the very bottom PCIe slot, it's PCH bound and will not affect your CPU lanes.
Sata12 will still be enabled. Pretty sure the same config applies to the Z590-F.

That way, i'm with a GPU + M.2 on CPU Lanes (PCIe_1 + M.2_1 or M.2_2), as well as 2 x SSDs on Sata12 and the SoundBlaster Z on PCH Lanes (very bottom PCIe).

Thanks for that. I have it in the bottom slot as it’s the only I can use! I’ve had to remove my USB card from the slot which is a pain. In essence, I only have one slot in addition to the GPU as the 3090 I have is triple slot and putting anything in the slot below it affects the GPU cooling.Â*

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SATA12?Â*

imacken wrote:
Thanks for that. I have it in the bottom slot as it’s the only I can use! I’ve had to remove my USB card from the slot which is a pain. In essence, I only have one slot in addition to the GPU as the 3090 I have is triple slot and putting anything in the slot below it affects the GPU cooling.Â*

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SATA12?Â*

Yes it's generally a good idea to place any other cards away from the GPU, so that the GPU gets plenty of unrestricted air. And, God the 3090 definitelly needs it 🙂

No worries. Sata12 is just the naming scheme for the first and second sata ports. Sata34 and Sata56 is the naming for the rest of the ports (3, 4, 5, 6).
Some configurations disable specific sata ports, but i'm pretty sure the first two ones (SATA12) remain enabled.

Thanks. I thought SATA12 was some kind of new standard that I was missing!

On a side note, it is really weird in this forum that whenever I reply from my iPhone, corrupted characters appear as per my previous post. Wonder why.

satyrlampu
Level 7
I also had same problem (playing youtube, via spdif toslink to my soundbard). It has never happened before (Z370-A Prime and all other boards before). I got this problem whenever use Firefox to play youtube. It never happend when I user Chrome browser)

And I also had issue with RAM with this board .. It always says 32GB Installed (31.8GB Usable) altough I use i7 10700F and discrete GPU .. Try updating to latest bios and this problem still occured

Very similar issue. Sometimes hissing/loud white noise when playing a Youtube video or local video/sound file. Goes away after reloading the video or file.
But I dont use the optical out, I use the analog 3.5 mm output at the back.

Already had a RMA board and a board from a different manufacturer with the same sound chip. Same problem. Clearly an issue with this new chip. Drivers?

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi everyone,

Here is the fix (by firmware update) :

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi everyone,

@ ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound Intel motherboard with ALC408x codec owners :

- Realtek USB Audio Firmware (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS Intel MB) :
Firmware : 2.61.9600.69 [21/05/2021]
Download : Link

Fixed SPDIF playing music is noisy

it's worked for me, thanks a lot.

I had the problem that the sound massively increased randomly and start crackling and hissing massive sounds while playing games, watching videos or on desktop