cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIII Hero PCH temp

Zeroed85
Level 8
I'm seeing 74-80C on my PCH and several others are also reporting this. Does this look to be normal for the XIII Hero? It seems a rather high temperature to be running on average...
31 REPLIES 31

ThomasRhin
Level 7
Zeroed85 wrote:
I'm seeing 74-80C on my PCH and several others are also reporting this. Does this look to be normal for the XIII Hero? It seems a rather high temperature to be running on average...

Remember to remove the protective film on the heatsink.

ThomasRhin wrote:

Are you saying there's a plastic film on a thermal pad between the PCH/Heatsink? If you mean the plastic film on the outside of the heatsink (ROG logo) then that is removed.

ThomasRhin wrote:

Thats relly effective??

Saltgrass
Level 13
I just got a new board and I am seeing 65 degrees C in the Bios Monitoring page. Maybe it will go down over time or maybe that is normal.

When you refer to the Chipset heatsink, are you referring to the black metal cover on the chipset and not the plastic cover over it?

There may be a video card blowing hot air in that area.. I had to come up with new ways to cool my RTX-3090 since it blew hot air back inside the case..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I just got a new board and I am seeing 65 degrees C in the Bios Monitoring page. Maybe it will go down over time or maybe that is normal.

When you refer to the Chipset heatsink, are you referring to the black metal cover on the chipset and not the plastic cover over it?

There may be a video card blowing hot air in that area.. I had to come up with new ways to cool my RTX-3090 since it blew hot air back inside the case..

Which board? The XIII Hero? I have not removed the plastic cover (armor) above the PCH on my board. In the pictures I can see there is black metal heatsink on the PCH. My question is is there a thermal pad between the black metal heatsink and the plastic cover over it, perhaps with a plastic backing that needs removing? My GPU is watercooled and there isn't really any major heat buildup around the PCH...

Zeroed85
Level 8
In the pictures here you can see a white pad under the PCH/M.2 cover. Is that a thermal pad or is that part of the ROG logo lighting?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I don't know what is under the Chipset cover, I have never taken that off.

The Plastic cover with the RGB lighting does have a plastic cover, to protect from scratching, that should be removed..

I will check my temps again, in the Bios to see if anything has changed since the board has been active for a while.

Edit: I just checked mine and it was showing 56 degrees C. Other components were sitting around 32-33° C
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I don't know what is under the Chipset cover, I have never taken that off.

The Plastic cover with the RGB lighting does have a plastic cover, to protect from scratching, that should be removed..

I will check my temps again, in the Bios to see if anything has changed since the board has been active for a while.

Edit: I just checked mine and it was showing 56 degrees C. Other components were sitting around 32-33° C

What's between the PCH chip and the black metal heatsink is a thermal pad around 1.0mm thick. You can replace the stock thermal pad with one of better thermal conductive performance.

I've replaced it with Thermalright odyssey thermal pad(1.0mm) and observed temperature drop of around 5~8 degree . DO NOT use thermal paste because the compression pressure that comes from the screws of the heatsink could crush the die of PCH. Thermal pad can provide physical protection from being crushed.

ThomasRhin wrote:
What's between the PCH chip and the black metal heatsink is a thermal pad around 1.0mm thick. You can replace the stock thermal pad with one of better thermal conductive performance.

I've replaced it with Thermalright odyssey thermal paste(1.0mm) and observed temperature drop of around 5~8 degree . DO NOT use thermal paste because the compression pressure that comes from the screws of the heatsink could crush the die of PCH. Thermal pad can provide physical protection from being crushed.

Wut ? Thermal paste that is 1mm thick ? And have you ever seen any thermal pad ? It prevents nothing from being crushed, the thermal pad is soft.
Also, the screws cannot be tighten so much that the heatsink can even make physical contact with the PCH, let alone crush it from too high mounting pressure.