cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is external NVMe M.2 so slow in Type-C I/O connector?

Wingclip
Level 9
Hi folks,
I have the ROG Maximus XII Formula board, (specs in sig), and I recently bought a 1TB Crucial M.2 x 2 P5 Plus drive.
My trouble right now is that the NVMe drive, (which is installed in a M.2 enclosure), run’s over 90% SLOWER when connected to the Type-C port in the mobo’s I/O panel, as compared to speeds when the drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port in the front of the case!

The NVMe enclosure has a Type-C connector and is specifically designed for NVMe M.2 drives only, (no NVMe SSDs). When I connect a Type-C to USB 3.0 cable from the NVMe enclosure to one of my USB 3.0 or 3.1 connectors in the front of the case, the Crystal Disk Mark test consistently shows it to run a little faster than an SSD, that’s fine and what I expect.

However, if I attach a Type-C to Type-C cable from the NVMe’s enclosure and run it to the Type-C port in the Maximus XII Formula’s I/O panel, the speeds on the drive drop more than 90%! The screenshots below, show this.

1TB NVMe M.2 x 2 Crucial P5 Plus externally connected to a USB 3.0 connector:

1TB NVMe M.2 x 2 Crucial P5 Plus externally connected to I/O Panel’s Type-C connector:

The ASUS UEFI settings regarding NVMe drives are set to enable that type of drive to run where ever I can find a reference. It’s possible that I’m overlooking (or am unaware of) what other settings should be enabled/disabled in some categories.

Does anyone recognize the M.2’s speed differences and behavior as a symptom that I haven’t got something specifically set correctly? I thought the Type-C port in the mobo’s I/O panel was supposed to deliver speeds faster than USB 3.1 or 3.2, no?

Just an FYI:
The M.2 drive is only in an external enclosure temporarily. I plan to move my O/S to that drive. In fact, last week, I even installed the M.2 drive to the M.2_2 slot of the mobo and cloned the O/S to it.

However, I had to remove the drive from the mobo because I couldn't boot to the O/S. I used EaseUS payware to do the clone but I think I should have used a different program.

EaseUS’s instructions are not very good, (they seem to have a syntax problem), and it gets confusing. But that’s a different story, which I hope I can resolve w/o much work.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
For disk cloning I have had good success with Macrium Reflect Free. I recommend reading a bit before jumping in but the actual process is pretty straightforward drag and drop with only some complications if you are moving partitions to a smaller drive.

Regarding the speed of your external, it sounds to me like it is degrading to an older slower USB standard. I would double check that you have all of the drivers installed from the ASUS support page. Be aware that some of the software can be hidden inside of the expandable categories. Obviously if you had another USB-C device like a phone I would try that to see if transfer speeds are different depending on device.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thank you for that lead!! I'm going to check them out ASAP. I think you're right about that slow speed in the Type C connector. It sure looks like a USB 2.0 or even USB 1, doesn't it.

I did connect an external SATA SSD to the Type-C port and the SSD speeds were actually a little faster than the USB 3 port I usually connect it to.

This seems to imply that there’s an NVMe related setting in the UEFI that I’m overlooking. I may need to enable/or disable something in the UEFI to get that Type-C to speed when connected to an NVMe drive.

But if it ran the external SSD at the proper speed, then there may be a missing driver meant for the NVMe that’s involved. Either way, I need to look at that closer.
Rich

PROBLEM SOLVED!
(The short answer is that the data transfer rate of my new type C to type C cable was only USB 2.0, something not specifically mentioned in the ad).

The longer story (FWIW):
I went ahead and updated the chipset and bios as suggested. In fact, I don't remember how far behind my chipset version was but my bios was at least 4 versions late.

Well, when I tried the type C connector is in the I/O panel port after the updates, the speed of the externally connected NVMe SSD was just a slow as before. In fact, this prompted me to investigate if my type C to type C cable has something to do with it.

Of course it did! The brand-new type C to type C cable that I bought advertised a "100W" connection but I didn't know that had nothing to do with data transfer.

Upon researching this cable and others, I found that the type C cables are manufactured without any kind of color code or inscription to indicate their data transfer rate. When they went from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0, they color-coded the 3.0 with a "blue tongue".

I thought that was a great idea and I really wish they would continue to do that or at the very least, inscribe the cable with its specified data transfer rate. I wish the manufacturers of these cables would have continued to use a color-code or labeling system for cables like; HDMI, DPI, numerous variations of USB to type C and mini USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 connectors.

Anyway, the point is that the NVMe enclosure I purchased was designed for the fastest speeds of such a drive. I also made sure it couldn't accept anything but an SSD type drive as opposed to those that can accept SSD and SATA drives.

However, this enclosure came with a 6 inch long type C to type C cable. Obviously, it was meant for someone with a laptop and that's why I purchased a 10 foot long type C to type C cable. Unfortunately, it was of the USB 2.0 data transfer rate gender. It didn't specify that in the had, which I'm to understand would automatically mean it is USB 2.0, (...I suppose...).

So, I purchased a 10 foot long, type C to type C, USB 3.1, GEN2 cable, which arrived tonight. I connected it to my type C port in the I/O panel, and got very fast speeds from the externally enclosed NVMe SSD.