cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will I lose or gain?

timlab
Level 9

I have a Intel Core I9-11900K chip with a Z-590-e motherboard.  This board has 4 M.2 slots.  Currently, I have one M.2 in M.2-1 slot (just under the GPU).  I would like to add another M.2 to the board.  Any suggestions on what I can expect, and what will I lose/gain from this?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Wow, thank you for the map of the land there.  Anyway, I will put the new 1TB drive in the M.2_3 slot.  Besides it's easy to get to.  If I lose a SATA port no biggie as most of my HHD/SSD are connected to my computer from the back with 1 hub for 2 of the HHD.

Again, thank you for your input.

Dan

timlab
Level 9

Wow, thank you for the map of the land there.  Anyway, I will put the new 1TB drive in the M.2_3 slot.  Besides it's easy to get to.  If I lose a SATA port no biggie as most of my HHD/SSD are connected to my computer from the back with 1 hub for 2 of the HHD.  One other question while we are on this.  I do not have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology with RAID program running as the last time I had this install on my computer the program screw things up.  Do you recommend that I should reinstall it?

Again, thank you for your input.

If you don't need/want a feature provided by IRST, I don't believe you need to install it.  I'm currently on AMD, so not quite 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure it's optional unless you are trying to use one of its features (RAID or Optane caching).  If you are just planning to have 2 simple drives, I think you should be fine without IRST running.  I would avoid it, personally, unless I ran into a situation that needed it.

timlab
Level 9

Ty for your help in this matter.

Dan

timlab
Level 9

Well, tonight I got the M2 into my PC on the M.2_3 slot.  It was straight forward, no biggie.  When I booted it up, the system didn't crash (good thing), and continue to load Windows.  I'm good to go.  Transfer some files from it to my C drive, and WOW, at 347mbps.  I'm good to go.

Thanks all for your help.  Now if I can get the other help I need I will be in 7th heaven.  Getting the correct AI3 for my I7 computer and getting Armorty Create to working on it.