cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to enter BIOS and tried all the usual stuff

rawbar
Level 7
After converting to UEFI, I am unable to enter BIOS from my desktop. MB is a Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
This happened in Windows 10 and I've since upgraded to Windows 11 and the issue persists

None of the instructions that involve entering BIOS via Windows works because Windows when shut down will not reboot. I have to power off the PC and turn it back on and then it just boots straight into Windows. I never see POST, even after pulling out a SIMM (I was hoping that would force it into BIOS due to a HW change detected). I found one post somewhere that an Intel management driver breaks reboot so I disabled that but it didn't fix the issue.

I have fastboot enabled but I can't get into BIOS to disable it.

With power off, holding down DEL and then turning on just results in a hang. Doesn't boot into windows, nothing is displayed on screen, I have to power off and back on again. I'm completely stumped.
7 REPLIES 7

Murph_9000
Level 14
Try rapidly tapping the Del key (and F2 is the alternative, if I remember correctly, for small keyboards) immediately after power on. Push the power button, then just rapidly keep hitting Del until you either get the BIOS or something else happens.

Murph_9000 wrote:
Try rapidly tapping the Del key (and F2 is the alternative, if I remember correctly, for small keyboards) immediately after power on. Push the power button, then just rapidly keep hitting Del until you either get the BIOS or something else happens.

Tried that as well. Also hung, never saw anything appear on the screen and had to reboot.

I even swapped out my wireless keyboard for a USB just in case there was an issue with keyboard connection before windows loaded the logitech drivers.

This is just a guess, but I suspect that you actually are getting into the BIOS, but that it's coming out of a different physical port on the back of the machine. BIOS on the wrong video port can look very much like a hung machine. Try the usual Del to enter BIOS stuff, and when it appears to have "hung", try connecting your monitor to all of the different video ports in turn (and give it a reasonable time on each, to allow the video stuff and monitor to wake up). Also, since it's Intel platform, try the motherboard video out that comes from the CPU's intergrated GPU (unless your CPU is a SKU with that feature disabled). BIOS video port selection can be odd sometimes, and doesn't follow what Windows thinks is the "primary" monitor. Also, disconnect any secondary displays (and disconnect the cables at the PC end, some have active components in them), try this with just one display around all of the different ports (and do both DP & HDMI, assuming you have both).

Total guess, but it's the one thing I can think of that's a simple-ish problem and doesn't involve pulling the machine apart.

I had the same thought so did disconnect one of my two monitors without luck. But I figured out a solution.
I pulled the nvme that Windows is installed on.
Instantly on reboot I see the asus splash screen and got into bios
I booted into memtest86 from there and that will run until the AM. Then I can see with fastboot off if I can get into bios with the nvme back in.

rawbar wrote:
I had the same thought so did disconnect one of my two monitors without luck. But I figured out a solution.
I pulled the nvme that Windows is installed on.
Instantly on reboot I see the asus splash screen and got into bios
I booted into memtest86 from there and that will run until the AM. Then I can see with fastboot off if I can get into bios with the nvme back in.

It would not be the first time your situation has stopped a system from booting normally. If the NVMe drive is corrupted the system may have the situation you are describing. Since you just converted a Legacy install to a UEFI install, perhaps that process failed, or you are not booting using UEFI version of the drive.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

rawbar
Level 7
fwiw, turning fastboot off didnt solve the problem once i put the nvme back in, but at least i have a workaround.

RonnieW
Level 7

I have the same issue on the B650E-F motherboard with the AMD 7900X processor, I can't get to the bios either (current version 822).  I've downloaded a newer version, but not being able to get to the BIOS makes updating it difficult.  

Second reason why I want to boot into BIOS is that I have 2 NVME drives installed and use the BIOS to select which one to boot from.  After spending an hour trying to get into BIOS the normal way (holding/tapping DEL or F2 keys) which just extends the boot process to several minutes, I ripped out the first NVME drive to be able to boot to the second.  Otherwise it boots "just fine" to the first one...

Next to try is remove both drives so there is no Windows to boot into.