cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z490-E Gaming cannot rollback BIOS from 2004

hawkhandler
Level 7
i have followed all instructions to the T. I am definitely downloading the correct BIOS. I have tried flashback and the BIOS tool and nothing is working. Flashback just fails and the EZ tool tells me that it is not a proper BIOS. please help.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi hawkhandler

Have you renamed the bios file to SZ490E.CAP

This should get it to read as a proper bios file.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi hawkhandler

Have you renamed the bios file to SZ490E.CAP

This should get it to read as a proper bios file.

yes i have. the light blinks and then ultimately goes solid green and no matter how long i wait it stays solid green until i ultimately turn the computer on and clearly nothing happened.

hawkhandler wrote:
yes i have. the light blinks and then ultimately goes solid green and no matter how long i wait it stays solid green until i ultimately turn the computer on and clearly nothing happened.

I have had issues with a z490 Apex and using bios flashback. The first was the manual had the flashback port incorrectly labeled. I had to look at the rear io to find the correct one. Assuming that is not your issue I would try clearing cmos or loading defaults as I have also had it where flashback would not work until I did that.

I also remember seeing one of the later bios versions had a setting to disable being to flash to older bios versions, it can be enabled or disabled. It was under Tools. Not sure if they added that in 2004 as i have not tried it.

hawkhandler wrote:

Make sure you're pressing the Flashback button and not the BIOS reset.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Did anyone read the notes for the BIOS?

3. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBack, to ensure better compatibility.

Oops! Sorry - never mind - wrong BIOS!