cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z590-E Fails to update to BIOS 1701, 1601 and 1402

EnvyYou
Level 7

Hi All

As per title, i have tried twice to upgrade my motherboard to firmware version 1701 but each time after it completes it hangs on the "Republic of Gamers Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting" Screen.

The first time that i did the upgrade i had not upgraded the ME firmware to Version 15.0.42.2235 as this was an oversight.

The second time i attempted i had applied the upgrade of the ME firmware to Version 15.0.42.2235

Each time i did the bios update it will only boot up under the following conditions -

1. If i do a CMOS reset then i can boot into bios and windows ( not 100 % chance to work might have to try a few times ) but then will always fail to boot again on a reboot or shutdown.

2. If i do a bios flashback it will fix the problem for good.

What is causing this issue, as will i not be able to upgrade ?

The below is what works and what doesn't

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1007 - Works
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1202 - Works
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1301 - Works
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1402 - Wont Boot
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1601 - Wont Boot
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1701 - Wont Boot

Intel Core i7 11700K Processor
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming Wi-Fi Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128GB (4x32GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC 12GB
Samsung 980 PRO M.2 PCI-E Gen4 NVMe SSD 1TB
Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

17 REPLIES 17

Shark007
Level 10

I'd suggest trying with only 2 sticks of RAM. Populating all 4 slots can be tricky sometimes.

EnvyYou
Level 7

I can try that no problems what does more ram sticks usually do ?

As well as the above what are the chances that the M.2 Drives are causing issues ? And what would be the best USB slot to do the upgrade. Is it better with an older USB or is this looking to granular now ?

I will just mention, whenever I do a Bios update, the system requires going back into the Bios to verify settings.  Maybe yours is doing something different?

I upgrade mine by downloading and putting the file in the root of the C: directory, then using the built-in utility to upgrade.  You did not mention how you are doing the upgrade.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I am doing the upgrade by using a sandisk extreme in a USB slot, as mentioned it worked for all upgrades from 1007 but didn't after 1402  and beyond. I wondered if this could also cause an issue using a USB i didnt think of putting it in the root of C

Also what settings do you verify in particular ?

What I check sometimes changes but I verify the memory speeds and XMP.  I look through other settings just to verify, such as the CSM, ReSize Bar and a few others.  I try to move those to the Favorites so they are easier to find.

The system may also want to go into the Bios just so it will reboot after doing so.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

EnvyYou
Level 7

So i attempted the upgrade again after a full CMOS reset and only one stick of ram, and im still having issues, i did notice how ever the computer seems to boot fine as long as i NEVER go into the bios again after the upgrade. I notice that the Platform Trust Technology (PTT) is enabled as loading optimized settings after the upgrade reverts it to disabled.

The PC is hanging on the "Republic of Gamers Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting" Screen. When it hangs it reports Error Code 99

Is it possible that this is causing an issue ? Or is the issue that the motherboard simply doesnt like any bios above 1301

@EnvyYou wrote:

… I notice that the Platform Trust Technology (PTT) is enabled as loading optimized settings after the upgrade reverts it to disabled. …

So, the working config on the old BIOS versions has PTT enabled?  It's possible, I guess, that the newer versions have flipped the default for that to disabled (no idea why they would do that, but it seems to be what you are saying).  Have you tried new version, load optimised defaults, then enable PTT?  Also check other BIOS settings around boot config, to see if anything else has changed (i.e. anything to do with CSM, UEFI vs legacy, secure boot, etc) between the BIOS versions (i.e. compare those settings between working and broken versions).

Shark007
Level 10

I have the exact same board, a Z590-E, without any of your issues at all. I did need to RMA my 1st board as it did have issues right out of the box that I could not solve from day 1. Frustrating. The replacement board I received has no issues at all and am using the latest bios, 1701. As an oddity side note, my replacement boards serial number ends in 0001.

I think you should pursue an RMA.

EnvyYou
Level 7

It is a very strange issue indeed, as i mentioned before. The PC seems to work after the upgrade as long as i NEVER try to enter the bios again or see the splash screen, its when it boots to that instead of going straight to windows it gets that error 99 and only a cmos clear will fix it till it happens again.

@Murph_9000thanks for the suggestion, i will take note of all my settings and attempt the upgrade again and take note if anything has changed other than PTT

@Shark007I did contact the shop i purchased the board from and they advised that everything i had tried they would likely do as well, so suggested i contact ASUS directly for support before i return it to them for RMA.

A couple of questions.

1. IF they board was to be RMA and refunded as the shop suggested. Because the Z590-E is no longer in production would that mean with a new board i would no longer be able to use my Gen 11 Processor and RAM

2."2. Improve compatibility with NVIDIA RTX40 series cards" how important is it to get this update for compatibility with the RTX40 series cards.

As this is the main reason i wanted to upgrade to 1701